Universal Love The crowd is back! (and how good was the 2009 final?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Keays2myBeamas

All Australian
Oct 5, 2014
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I was there and it was unbelievable.
I have never been in Melbourne to watch a game so have nothing to compare to - but it was deafening.

Biggest game I've ever been to was 2012 grand final. Great game, tight finish, 100000 people. Atmosphere had nothing on the gabba with 33k in a tight game. Not even close. At the MCG everyone is so far away from the action (not to mention all the corporates and neutral fans like myself ruining the atmosphere....)

SDG72

Senior List
Oct 10, 2003
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions
There has been a few collingwood games like that too, and to be honest i hate it. This is supposed to be our town and we need to get the passion back.
And even in that game the other night you can see the players responding to the crowd and it is something we havent seen in a while.

One particular game against the scum in 94. Sitting in what was meant to be the members stand (the old Sir Leslie Wilson stand), I swear we were out numbered 10 to 1.

Unfortunately did not win that game or many round that time. But it certainly got better, especially against the pies.

dizzysquizz

Senior List
May 16, 2016
brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I've been to a lot of footy in Melbourne and Brisbane at the height of great Lions teams and non-Lions particularly at Subiaco Oval and to this day the loudest crowd I've heard was the Lions v Carlton Elimination Final in 09 at the Gabba. That game was deafening after Bradshaw kicked the sealer.

Just putting it out their BUT that was my 1st ever live AFL match...woweeeee what a experience

pOleK

Professional Couch Observer
Oct 27, 2014
Tbar
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
FC Barcelona, Atlanta Hawks
If we had scientific data to measure it, I would just about stake my life that the three loudest roars ever in the entire history of the Gabba happened in that one game vs Carlton in 09, and that includes cricket and every game in the premiership era too when Akermanis regularly set the crowd on fire.

1. Rich's goal.
2. Bradshaw's goal - the Gabba literally shook. No hyperbole.
3. The final siren.

No videos do it justice, but this one comes close. I doubt I will ever have a better night at the Gabba in my life. There was magic in the air that day.

My ears are bleeding and it's beautiful :$

I think the miracle on grass game deserves a special mention. Crowd was smaller but decibel per person it was might fine. And ash was my favourite player at the time - understated work horse that could run like dream.

During half time a couple of Geelong supporters were chatting to us. They weren't gloating abouty the lead - they actually said they felt for us. Unfortunately couldn't find them at full time to return the favour.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back