The Crows Logo Thread

What should be done regarding our logo?

• Total voters

Dank Academy

All Australian
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
TBH an entire cultural reset is required, which would include the creation of an improved logo, a vision of what the club wants to be (no more 'we can still technically make finals, and who knows what will happen then'), and a genuine engagement with its history (including SANFL). I'm sick of seeing the Club represented by people who are more invested in the Adelaide Club than the Adelaide Football Club. I'll sign the petition if it can be just a small step towards that.

Klug

Team Captain
Apr 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Woodville West Torrens FC
TBH an entire cultural reset is required, which would include the creation of an improved logo, a vision of what the club wants to be (no more 'we can still technically make finals, and who knows what will happen then'), and a genuine engagement with its history (including SANFL). I'm sick of seeing the Club represented by people who are more invested in the Adelaide Club than the Adelaide Football Club. I'll sign the petition if it can be just a small step towards that.

The current logo is a cartoon gimmick.

If you think of Fagan's desire for us to be an "authentic footy club", and then you look at this cartoon abomination, you just shake your head.

In the scheme of things to be fixed at the Crows, it is not even on the first page, but it still sums up the mediocrity of the place.

Especially when many designers have been able to mock-up alternate logos in their spare time on this and other threads, which look infinitely more professional

Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LIVFC
I will never purchase anything with that Crows logo - the one exception being I got an AFLW Crows jumper this year, which is lucky in that it doesn't have the cartoon crow on it except for the watermarks that you can hardly see

Every year I send my member scarf/hat up to my grandma because I sure as well won't wear them

Fivel_79

Senior List
Oct 18, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Hull City AFC, Pacers
I’ve always liked the Crow from the 2016 Indigenous top.

I agree this years would make a better logo. It’d be a strong logo and if done right, a meaningful shift. Tie it in with “We Fly As One” and I think it’d be brilliant.

Can we use this years indigenous crow for our logo?

Looks fooking amazing!

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
I’ve always liked the Crow from the 2016 Indigenous top.

I agree this years would make a better logo. It’d be a strong logo and if done right, a meaningful shift. Tie it in with “We Fly As One” and I think it’d be brilliant.
Maybe not exactly that Crow, but one in a very similar pose that has some menace about it?

Fivel_79

Senior List
Oct 18, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Hull City AFC, Pacers
No, not exactly the same but I think if we could get a logo design made in that indigenous art style it would be great.

Maybe not exactly that Crow, but one in a very similar pose that has some menace about it?

Mar 12, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
1597996500770.png
1598005907759.png

It beats my why we can't have something as cool as this drawing. Add a red eye, have the colours coming out of the wings. Boom, a modern update to our original logo that looks really bad ass.

1598005830798.png

Things I hate about the current logo:
It's a crappy rip off of the Baltimore Ravens
Crows are supposed to be black (!!)
It pays little homage to the original
It's ugly and cartoonish; and
It's legacy is tainted with scandals, ineptitude and failure.

For gods sake, when we rise again, please flush the old logo down the drain.

Last edited:

Klug

Team Captain
Apr 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Woodville West Torrens FC
View attachment 941569View attachment 941686
It beats my why we can't have something as cool as this drawing. Add a red eye, have the colours coming out of the wings. Boom, a modern update to our original logo that looks really bad ass.

View attachment 941684

It's a crappy rip off of the Baltimore Ravens
It pays little homage to the original
It's ugly and cartoonish; and
It's legacy is tainted with scandals, ineptitude and failure.

For gods sake, when we rise again, please flush the old logo down the drain.

The other thing is the blue on the raven is royal blue not navy, as per our guernsey.

The swooping black crow up the top looks amazing. Just flip it around so it's facing to the right, like the Johnnie Walker striding man logo chance years ago!

Tex Danger

Premiership Player
Mar 20, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
The other thing is the blue on the raven is royal blue not navy, as per our guernsey.

The swooping black crow up the top looks amazing. Just flip it around so it's facing to the right, like the Johnnie Walker striding man logo chance years ago!
I remember when they announced the logo they said the lighter blue was so that it would be more visible when used on apparel rather than matching colours. But then it just makes the actual logo not the true colours!

Moe Ron

Debutant
Sep 16, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Tottenham Olympiacos Empoli
I think a more aggressive/competitive logo would be great - I feel the same as a lot of other supporters, current logo just feels too 'meh'. I found this menacing looking raven (just a bigger crow) from this designer and thought it would be a good direction for an upgrade https://dribbble.com/shots/6461583-Houston-Ravens-Identity-System...I mocked it up with the current font and put it in a shield. I'm also a huge fan of the original logo, would be great if they revived it.

Attachments

• Crows logo.jpg
    Crows logo.jpg
    644.2 KB · Views: 64
  • Crows logo 2.jpg
    Crows logo 2.jpg
    646 KB · Views: 62

Mego Red

10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
I think a more aggressive/competitive logo would be great - I feel the same as a lot of other supporters, current logo just feels too 'meh'. I found this menacing looking raven (just a bigger crow) from this designer and thought it would be a good direction for an upgrade https://dribbble.com/shots/6461583-Houston-Ravens-Identity-System...I mocked it up with the current font and put it in a shield. I'm also a huge fan of the original logo, would be great if they revived it.
This is one of the best designs for solving the question of - our mascot is black, but our colour is actually navy blue.

The Navy blue used well as a highlight makes sense.

Personally, I'd love us to use Crow Black even more as a colour.

I don't like the logo either, but I never really understood this criticism. Our old logo that was perfect was blue as well.

Kangaroos aren't blue. Nor bulldogs or cats. Eagles aren't blue and yellow. If your logo isn't based on your colours or vice versa, like the tigers or magpies, having your logo in your colour looks a lot better than one not in your colour. A black crow would just look wrong.

That said, it definitely needs to be darker. And for a blue crow to look good, it actually needs to look like a crow.

Mego Red

10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
I don't like the logo either, but I never really understood this criticism. Our old logo that was perfect was blue as well.

Kangaroos aren't blue. Nor bulldogs or cats. Eagles aren't blue and yellow. If your logo isn't based on your colours or vice versa, like the tigers or magpies, having your logo in your colour looks a lot better than one not in your colour. A black crow would just look wrong.

That said, it definitely needs to be darker. And for a blue crow to look good, it actually needs to look like a crow.

Except a black crow is f***ing cool. What's the point of having a cool mascot if you're going to make it a different colour?

And all of the logos you mention - they make their mascots white. White bulldog, white kangaroo, white-ish cat. It's either white or the mascot's actual color - never a different color.

I think it just makes the Crow look faded.

Moe Ron

Debutant
Sep 16, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Tottenham Olympiacos Empoli
This is one of the best designs for solving the question of - our mascot is black, but our colour is actually navy blue.

The Navy blue used well as a highlight makes sense.

Personally, I'd love us to use Crow Black even more as a colour.

Thanks Mego! There are some really good designers out there which the club get on board to push a new design... It does feel like the current logo was maybe intended to be 'family friendly' which no doubt is strategy for the club. But I still think they could make it more aggressive and not scare the kids away :sweatsmile:.

I also like the concept of having multiple crows in the logo - say three crows to represent the club, the fans and history/location (Adelaide). It would be true to the name 'crows' which is plural, would represent a 'murder' of crows (which is tough as) and would represent Nicksy's philosphy of the many not the individual. You could also assign each one of the colours of navy, red and gold to one of the crows. Probably too far a departure for some, but I liked the idea.

Mar 12, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood

Using the swooping crow I found as an example, I believe their is a compromise to both sides of this debate.

The artist uses white as light reflections to highlight and enhance the shape of the bird. As an AFC logo, these enhancement areas could be coloured a contrasting dark navy blue instead.

1600307104313.png

(edit: someone beat me to the point!)

Last edited:
Using the swooping crow I found as an example, I believe their is a compromise to both sides of this debate.

The artist uses white as light reflections to highlight and enhance the shape of the bird. As an AFC logo, these enhancement areas could be coloured a contrasting dark navy blue instead.

View attachment 963452

(edit: someone beat me to the point!)

Even just recolouring the crow to a dark navy like our old one just sits a little bit better with me.

1boyvo6.jpg

JPetro83

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Adel United & Leeds United
This thread pops up to page 1 now and then. I think its very important we get a new logo/fresh look and not get rid of the "we fly as one" stuff.
Time for change. I am sick to death of the raptor head.. 10 years with that rubbish. either design a new strong logo or revamp our original one to give it a more stronger modern look.

Back