Rumour The Curious Case of Bryan Colangelo and Sports GMs with Burner Accounts

Armoooo

Club Legend
Apr 19, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
By now I'm sure most of you are familiar with the Bryan Colangelo / 76ers scandal erupting at the moment.

If you're not familiar what has essentially happened is an anonymous tip into a basketball blogger that they had used AI to scan open source data to determine there were five twitter users all linked to the President of Basketball Operations of the 76ers, Bryan Colangelo. I strongly recommend you look into this soap opera, it is amazing.

Some people have jokingly mentioned the fact that anyone of us could have gotten in a s**t fight with an actual GM. I'm here to confirm it is possible. I never shared this story at the time only because I thought it would embarrass the club.

For a period of time I was a mod at Saintsational and I received a pm advising to keep an eye out for a certain person from the club leaking information. I'm not going to give away the dates or the names but what i will say was at the club there was a major power struggle between two members of staff and that Saintsational account I was told to check out shared a few coincidences.

Being a mod I was able to view IPs, in searching the IP for this user it was based in Moorabbin and it signed up within a week of one of the feuding staff members starting work at the club. The email address was under a paid service domain (bigpond etc.) And had an email with the same first name, and same secondary initial as the staff member.

They provided some subtle hints of inside info. Criticised their rival, defended their role. This smear campaign continued until one of the parties left in shock circumstances.

Any former SS posters may know the story better as I understand I wasn't the only one who knew who it was.

I'm sure a lot of people will be skeptical but I don't think I've made too many big calls over the year so I'm not one to make s**t up.

Ceanag

Club Legend
Jul 16, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda
Is this all in the past or is there anything currently happening along those lines at present ?

By now I'm sure most of you are familiar with the Bryan Colangelo / 76ers scandal erupting at the moment.

If you're not familiar what has essentially happened is an anonymous tip into a basketball blogger that they had used AI to scan open source data to determine there were five twitter users all linked to the President of Basketball Operations of the 76ers, Bryan Colangelo. I strongly recommend you look into this soap opera, it is amazing.

Some people have jokingly mentioned the fact that anyone of us could have gotten in a s**t fight with an actual GM. I'm here to confirm it is possible. I never shared this story at the time only because I thought it would embarrass the club.

For a period of time I was a mod at Saintsational and I received a pm advising to keep an eye out for a certain person from the club leaking information. I'm not going to give away the dates or the names but what i will say was at the club there was a major power struggle between two members of staff and that Saintsational account I was told to check out shared a few coincidences.

Being a mod I was able to view IPs, in searching the IP for this user it was based in Moorabbin and it signed up within a week of one of the feuding staff members starting work at the club. The email address was under a paid service domain (bigpond etc.) And had an email with the same first name, and same secondary initial as the staff member.

They provided some subtle hints of inside info. Criticised their rival, defended their role. This smear campaign continued until one of the parties left in shock circumstances.

Any former SS posters may know the story better as I understand I wasn't the only one who knew who it was.

I'm sure a lot of people will be skeptical but I don't think I've made too many big calls over the year so I'm not one to make s**t up.

woah!!!!! now this is good!

jaxons?

Imagine going to all the trouble and leaving these blatant loose ends on show. Someone didn't think that through!

Armoooo

Club Legend
Apr 19, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Imagine going to all the trouble and leaving these blatant loose ends on show. Someone didn't think that through!
Probably didn't know what an IP address is and thought that by making his email hidden that nobody could see it.

With the details that were available for other users it's understandable that they thought at best he was a minor ITK who knew someone at the club.

Nobody has gotten the details quite right just yet. Some good guesses so far though.

Armoooo

Club Legend
Apr 19, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Definitely nothing to do with P66. Wouldn't be surprised if he suspected the individiual though.

Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
If anyone is keeping track with US politics, you would know there is a special prosecutor over there who is investigating Trump’s 2016 election campaign.
Part of that investigation is the Feds have charged Trump’s campaign manager, Paul Manafort, with unrelated crimes (money laundering etc).
Theory being they can get him to flip, and spit the dirt on Trump.
To date Manafort has been extremely uncooperative.
The flipping ain’t happening.
Except......
This week the Feds got him for witness tampering (20 year Fed crime) alleging he communicated with witnesses via an encrypted app. (What’s App).
Bad news to communicate with witnesses in your case.
Anyway, much speculation about how the Feds found out about this; apparently the two witnesses dobbed him in.
So the Feds went searching for these and other messages he had sent via the encrypted app.
They found them.
Backed up in his iCloud account........

Manafort is in his late 60’s.

This story reminds me so much of Armooo’s tale.

The guilty party will be someone as equally tech illiterate as Manafort.

Did we ever have a 69yo Chairman of Selectors?

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
I do recall a rumour that the club made up some intell to see if theyre suspicions were right.

Someone was leaking.

Not sure if it was on SS or here.

Drake Huggins

Club Legend
May 2, 2018
The ghost of the G.G. Huggins Stand
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Stoke City, Southampton.
Trout is a genius.

Discuss...

Not guilty, M'Lud. Forgot to add a smilie at the end of the last post. I got the DCM far too long ago for it to be me. I don't hold grudges for that long. Trout may be a genius, but like so many geniuses, his brilliance won't be recognised until long after his death. Think Tesla, Turing et al. At the minute, his genius is unfathomable to recruiters in the industry.

Back