Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

gungho

Club Legend
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don't normally like to post on individual players but I think this one needs discussion.
Does anyone know what has happened to Chris Mayne?
Was the most accurate set shot in the competition in 2013, and now does not seem likely to kick a goal on any set shot from 35 - 50 metres.
Is it confidence? Is it technique? Is it injury?
He has always been a good defensive forward but not sure that his ability to tackle and chase warrants selection. Can he get the confidence back? If not, who would be his best replacement?

Confidence - yes
Technique - no but he is obviously doing something different
Injury - previously yes but wouldn't have thought so after a solid preseason

He has always been a good defensive forward but not sure that his ability to tackle and chase warrants selection. Can he get the confidence back? If not, who would be his best replacement?

he is lucky he is kind of mid sized but can play tall when required.

Now that Bennell is in the side, and other players are coming through, Mayne must be looking over his shoulder.

image.jpg

Mayne will be up and about this year and is an important cog in our forward line. You jabronis thinking he's on the cusp of getting dropped are delusional.

He's not in my 22 anymore, just isn't the player he used to be. We need to score more, not have a defensive player like him inside 50. Plus, if he marks it outside 40m, he is virtually no chance because his technique limits the distance he can kick.

I'd have a forward line of:

HF: Weller, Fyfe, Walters
F: Ballas, Pavlich, Taberner / resting ruck.

Is that you Mayney?
(You know those big white stick things? You're supposed to kick the ball through them).

No, just his 2016 buddy and general supporter.

Averaged 13.6 disposals, 5 marks, 5.5 tackles and 1.3 goals a game in 2015 including a bag of 4 against Carlton.

Ended the year with 28 goals, 17 behinds.

Not a bad return for someone playing through injury and I expect his output will improve in 2016.

Here's a nice vid of the champ doing some work - http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/video/2015-10-27/season-review-mayne

I used to like him but the problem is that I liked him in the same way I like MDB. He gives his all in every game but the problem is that his finishing and touch are simply not good enough in the crunch and he can go missing.
Unless he starts well and maintains stellar form I can't see him being in the 22 by the second half of the season. We simply have better skilled players waiting on their opportunity.

The old "Viv Michie" syndrome. Everyone out of the team is better than the people in it by 25% but the people at the club day in and day out paid to make the decisions can't see it.
He contributes there's no doubting that it's just I'd expect more from a player that plays the minutes that he does especially on the scoreboard when we are crying out for it.

Would probably give him first shot at it to start the season but if we still aren't scoring he's gotta be first on the chopping block. Think he might have taken this defensive approach too far, goals from your forwards are still way more important.

What other player on the list last year would walk in and average one and a half goals a game? Let alone his defensive pressure, tackles etc.

He was our third highest goal scorer last year behind SonSon who's absolute magic and the great Pav.http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/tr-fremantle-dockers?year=2015&rt=TT&st=GO

I'm sure he would of liked to convert better and I'm confident his 2016 will be better than his 2015, but, he was top 3 for the club for a reason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mayne is still good for 30 goals. Remove him from the side, and where do those goals come from? It's not as easy as just throwing someone else in the forward line and thinking they'll be better. Unfortunately, we are not blessed with people who can find the big sticks.

And even if you think you can find those goals .. whether it be an individual (e.g. Yarran), or from a change in team balance (e.g. Bennell and Fyfe hitting the scoreboard) ... I would think that those goals would come even if Mayne was still in the side. Take him out, replace his goals, and we're back to square one. We need to keep Mayne's goals, and then find extra goals on top of that.

Mayne might not seem that great, but he's still important for our side. And I think we can see a good season out of him if he is fit and given a slight role change (i.e. back to how he played a few years ago).

What other player on the list last year would walk in and average one and a half goals a game? Let alone his defensive pressure, tackles etc.

He was our third highest goal scorer last year behind SonSon who's absolute magic and the great Pav.http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/tr-fremantle-dockers?year=2015&rt=TT&st=GO

I'm sure he would of liked to convert better and I'm confident his 2016 will be better than his 2015, but, he was top 3 for the club for a reason.
Yes he was top 3 because we don't have many other options. The problem is that he's filling in because we lack a 2nd tall forward. If Taberner stands up then Mayne's importance diminishes, Fyfe and Bennell and possibly later Yarran say Hi.

39, 37, 13 (terrible) & 28 goals over the last 4 years. Averaging a touch under 30 goals a season. You don't just chuck a player like that on the scrap heap. He's still young enough ~28 to perform and improve as well.

He's good enough to hold his spot and improve on 2015 even with the addition of Bennell and Yarran.

On top of that, he's pretty fit and runs a lot. Going to be important with the limited interchanges.

Ballas as an example has gone 31, 34, 49, 15 at just over 32 a game. Less than 3 goals different on average a year. Don't see anyone calling for him out of the forward line.

Seems to be out of favour, and unfortunately he should be. I've long been a fan of his, I love his dedication and love for the club, but the reality is this: two seasons of mediocrity. I understand his defensive duties but you can't have too many forwards who excel at tackling but aren't stellar as goal kickers (Ballas and Mayney both fall into this). I just think the team is unbalanced like this.

Then again, he is someone who has that in between size who could thrive with a dominant key forward in the team. If someone was capable of playing the big man role at full intensity, I think Mayne would be a much better player and be able to fulfil his potential.

It's a confidence as well more of an identity issue. Forcing him to play the 2nd forward role really makes him non-existent. IMO he needs Tabs/Resting ruckman playing more. At the start of last season was the ideal foil. But once Tabs got dropped, Mayne work rate went up to the point he gets more exhausted and anxious when kicking for goal. The PF was the best combination we've had all season, albeit too late. If we can have that combination working early, then Mayne will look good.
Walters/Ballas/Mayne play high forward and even more so this season when Pav resting at FF. Tabs needs to really improve to allow Mayne's full effectiveness.
Another question is Zac Clarke. Can he finally take that 2nd ruckman/resting forward role and improve? Or, probably what the coaches are more keen on, Griffin to take some good marks and has a great kick for goal as the better option?

He's not in my 22 anymore, just isn't the player he used to be. We need to score more, not have a defensive player like him inside 50. Plus, if he marks it outside 40m, he is virtually no chance because his technique limits the distance he can kick.

I'd have a forward line of:

HF: Weller, Fyfe, Walters
F: Ballas, Pavlich, Taberner / resting ruck.

Mine is a touch different (Griffin in there somewhere and Bennell for Fyfe) but I essentially agree. Have always been a huge fan of his but I don't think we can carry anything less than the 2013 model any more. I would probably give him one last chance, say 5 or so games, but I don't have much faith he's there mentally. We really need Yarran/Weller or, better yet, Crozier to displace him. I think Croz has the tools to affect the same or similar pressure and harassment and his goal sense, kicking distance and actual set shots, proper forward-like qualities, are exceptional.

I think his set shot routine has become too mechanical and is not working for him. He needs a new routine that is fresh.

I agree with a lot of the other things mentioned here. He is asked to play tall when he is not. This may be hard on the body. The coaches seem to be happy with him but it does not result in enough goals for Freo or Mayne. That is the coaches problem not Mayne's.

I'd like to see a haircut too. That blonde Afro thing worked OK when he was young - not so much now.

Stopped reading here. Hayden "Can't stay in the game" Crozier ahead of the Mayne man? Surely you jest?

That's more my hope than my expectation. I think if Croz was to get as many minutes forward as Mayne has gotten for most of his career he'd yield better results, he'd kick more goals. Obviously that's pure speculation though.

If bennell play I will drop Mayne , and allow fyfe/bennell play 50/50 Mayne role ,this will allow barlow to move back to his mid role. His previously HF role could be taken by D.Pearce or somebody else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back