The curious case of Chris Mayne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Good game from Mayne on a pitiful day. Showed versatility playing several positions and for mine was in our best.
Mind you I only rated Langdon as decent along with Silvagni the rest of the team were truely crapola

Good game from Mayne on a pitiful day. Showed versatility playing several positions and for mine was in our best.
Mind you I only rated Langdon as decent along with Silvagni the rest of the team were truely crapola

s**t, really? I thought Aliir made him look stupid in the first half. Only got into it when the game didn't matter.

s**t, really? I thought Aliir made him look stupid in the first half. Only got into it when the game didn't matter.

It was a game full of weak performances. I thought Alilr was making Pav look stupid in the first half on the rare occasion that the ball came in, remembering it took about ten minutes for our first inside 50 of the game. Sure if Mayne was killing it in the forward line they probably wouldn't of moved him but what I saw of him in the backline was sort of impressive along with Silvangni.

Interesting question, would you keep Silvagni over Dawson next year based on that performance?

It was a game full of weak performances. I thought Alilr was making Pav look stupid in the first half on the rare occasion that the ball came in, remembering it took about ten minutes for our first inside 50 of the game. Sure if Mayne was killing it in the forward line they probably wouldn't of moved him but what I saw of him in the backline was sort of impressive along with Silvangni.

Interesting question, would you keep Silvagni over Dawson next year based on that performance?
I'd think of keeping both but on almost minimum wage. Both have very little chance of landing a gig somewhere else and it would give us salary cap space.

Obviously yes based on that performance, but the question on Silvagni is whether he can stay on the park. Dawson is generally pretty resilient, and there's not much point keeping Silvagni if he's injured 3/4 of the year.

Has Mayne got the tank to play midfield? Definitely the right body shape and pace to make it as a big mid.
Struggled as a half backer, no longer much use as a forward, rarely gets more than 25 possessions, disposal about average, not a fantastic ball winner, he does chase and tackle well.

Very doubtful.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is a terrific hit up mark. He should be doing the leading around the D50, helping us bring it out. Dunno where he hides at all other times though...

I'd think of keeping both but on almost minimum wage. Both have very little chance of landing a gig somewhere else and it would give us salary cap space.
You sure Dawson isn't already contracted for next year ? Silvagni is out of contract at the end of this season.

Aliir did look very handy, didn't he? Too bad we didn't take him, as he'd be playing at home. I know Haggers gets a lot of criticism from posters, but his piece last month on Freo's draft choices over the last six years (compared to who else was available and was later taken by other clubs) is well worth a read: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-lost-its-darling-status-20160525-gp3lpo.html

Aliir did look very handy, didn't he? Too bad we didn't take him, as he'd be playing at home. I know Haggers gets a lot of criticism from posters, but his piece last month on Freo's draft choices over the last six years (compared to who else was available and was later taken by other clubs) is well worth a read: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-lost-its-darling-status-20160525-gp3lpo.html
Aliir only moved to Perth in 2013, had a good year at East Freo and was drafted. He played all his junior footy in QLD before being overlooked in the 2012 draft.

The thing is you could write a similar article about every club. Most clubs took someone else in 2009 when they could have picked Fyfe - Melbourne had four picks before #20 - Scully, Trengove, Gysberts, and Tapscott - none of which are playing for them anymore. Every club had a heap of worse picks in 2010 because Jeremy McGovern lasted until #44 in the rookie draft! A lot of clubs could have had Dangerfield or Rioli instead of worse players in 2007. It's very easy to go through and find better players that went later in the draft because drafting is far from an exact science.

I don't disagree our drafting pre 2014 could and probably should have been better but Hackdorn is a writer's version of a shock jock. His articles are rarely researched at all and often he just makes stuff up. I've yet to see something remotely intelligent from him in years. He has zero credibility.

Aliir reminded me of a taller Roger Hayden in the way he moved. Anyone know if Roger's sons are playing footy yet? If they're any good we might have a good opportunity to overlook them.

The thing is you could write a similar article about every club. Most clubs took someone else in 2009 when they could have picked Fyfe - Melbourne had four picks before #20 - Scully, Trengove, Gysberts, and Tapscott - none of which are playing for them anymore. Every club had a heap of worse picks in 2010 because Jeremy McGovern lasted until #44 in the rookie draft! A lot of clubs could have had Dangerfield or Rioli instead of worse players in 2007. It's very easy to go through and find better players that went later in the draft because drafting is far from an exact science.

I don't disagree our drafting pre 2014 could and probably should have been better but Hackdorn is a writer's version of a shock jock. His articles are rarely researched at all and often he just makes stuff up. I've yet to see something remotely intelligent from him in years. He has zero credibility.
Interesting that the older Darling gets, and after that GF effort, you can see why he did slide. Pavlich is of similar
height, weight, and has lead our attack for years.
West coast have burnt so many top 30 picks, but are a protected species, state teams winning premierships proves
nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back