The curious case of Chris Mayne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Name a top 8 midfield where De Boer would get a regular game?
West Coast - so Shuey can play more outside.
Adelaide - over Crouch Jnr
Geelong - they love big bodied ball burners
Hawthorn - their contested ball numbers are bad, put Mitchell back
Not Sydney - but next year when Mitchell is gone, then.
Not GWS
Dogs have enough, even though I think de Boer at his best offers at least as much as Wallis
North need better users - not Matt

West Coast - so Shuey can play more outside.
Adelaide - over Crouch Jnr
Geelong - they love big bodied ball burners
Hawthorn - their contested ball numbers are bad, put Mitchell back
Not Sydney - but next year when Mitchell is gone, then.
Not GWS
Dogs have enough, even though I think de Boer at his best offers at least as much as Wallis
North need better users - not Matt

6 out of 8 hey? Sydney and Hawthorn? You have a massively inflated view of De Boer.

From what you've written there, there should be close to 17 teams vying for De Boers services. I would be surprised if there's one or two. Do you realise that De Boer has a career disposal average under 15 and yet he'd apparently make 6 out of the top 8's midfields?

He's been a great servant and he's a great guy but if keeping or trading De Boer is a major factor for our team next year then we're screwed.

Name a top 8 midfield where De Boer would get a regular game?

Tell me why we should tolerate crap disposal where every other team is going the other way? Let me know why we should be known universally as a team with low skill level?

Nah man. That's over. I'd happily keep Barlow for his leadership qualities and his ability to effect a game but I'm not going to lose sleep over De Boer not being part of our plans.

The amount of posters on this board who now don't seem to have the appetite to see the changes that we need being made is staggering.

I think you have developed a little bit of tunnel vision. No one is saying that the list does not need a significant turnover and more opportunities for our talented young players. What I am saying is that I rate DeBoer and Barlow over Mzungu, Suban, C Pearce and probably others who will go. I disagree that DeBoer has crap disposal I would say that he has ordinary distance in his kicking but is very effective as a inside midfielder with lightening hands and good disposal (cant recall a mistake in the last game). You don't rate DeBoer that's fine, I do, but plenty of players are going so don't worry!

However, if they get the balance wrong and we don't have some experience to fall back on, get ready for 15 goal losses when the injuries hit.

DeBoer would be an excellent pick up for any AFL team missing a tough inside mid.

6 out of 8 hey? Sydney and Hawthorn? You have a massively inflated view of De Boer.

From what you've written there, there should be close to 17 teams vying for De Boers services. I would be surprised if there's one or two. Do you realise that De Boer has a career disposal average under 15 and yet he'd apparently make 6 out of the top 8's midfields?

I took the assumption that he was already on their list. Clubs like West Coast and Hawthorn have been bleeding from contested ball - I expect the sides with great outside users to make the most of a guy who can win the hard ball and get it out to them.

I took the assumption that he was already on their list. Clubs like West Coast and Hawthorn have been bleeding from contested ball - I expect the sides with great outside users to make the most of a guy who can win the hard ball and get it out to them.

DeBoer's tackling and general hardness around the ball were a real feature in the last game and really highlighted an area we need to improve in rapidly if we are going to stop teams waltzing away with the ball. Sandi playing also significantly helped our movement out of the center as well.

I think you have developed a little bit of tunnel vision. No one is saying that the list does not need a significant turnover and more opportunities for our talented young players. What I am saying is that I rate DeBoer and Barlow over Mzungu, Suban, C Pearce and probably others who will go. I disagree that DeBoer has crap disposal I would say that he has ordinary distance in his kicking but is very effective as a inside midfielder with lightening hands and good disposal (cant recall a mistake in the last game). You don't rate DeBoer that's fine, I do, but plenty of players are going so don't worry!

However, if they get the balance wrong and we don't have some experience to fall back on, get ready for 15 goal losses when the injuries hit.

DeBoer would be an excellent pick up for any AFL team missing a tough inside mid.

As far as De Boers disposal goes let me phrase it another way. His limitations are such that his field kicking is not good enough to fit a game plan where the ball is moved quickly and with precision. He knows his limitations for sure but unless we are going back to "manic pressure Freo" his time is gone. I'd prefer to have some short term pain and use his list place to roll the dice on a youngster. Even if that youngster may only have a 50% chance of making it.

I don't want a Richmond rebuild where we are good enough not to completely bottom out but they have no chance at a flag. If we're doing this thing we should do it right. We should make sure we have sufficient good quality veteran leadership (Mundy, Sandi, Johnno, Walters, Spurr, Neale, Hill at least) and then it's time to move the rest on if it suits our list. We'll keep a few and that may or may not include De Boer but keeping him is not a key to our list management strategy.

That's how West Coast and the Hawks play though. Also West Coast didn't burn it's draft picks on Redden and Jetta because they thought Hutchings (basically their De Boer) was the answer to their problems.

We've spent the last 4 years saying that Ross should stop playing the foot soldiers and play the kids and now some want the foot soldiers back.
I regularly recalled last year people wanted guys like de boer, clancee pearce, suban and mzungu dropped to play young guys like weller and blakely.

It was 2015 and freo were top 4. I could understand why Clancee Pearce, Suban, Deboer got games over the kids.

All three blokes were from the 2008 draft. All 3 blokes have 8 years of development. As crap as they were, they could run out 100% of the game.

As talented as weller and langdon and blakely were, they were teenagers just recruited from the state leagues. They needed time to develop their endurance to run out games.

De boer and clancee pearce played not even 10 games between them. The young guys played 10-15 games each this year because we dropped off this year.

Sure. Let's keep De Boer then. A premiership awaits!! So what are you advocating for then? Give Tendai another year. Convince Pav to go round one more year?

It's time to move on.

The difference is that we actually have a talented list of youngsters for the first time since Hill etc were drafted. It would be madness to remotely consider De Boer unless we were decimated by injury even worse that we were this year (is that even possible?).

I'm not saying keep anyone just saying that who ever we draft some will evolve into so called foot soldiers. Clubs have always had and will continue to have average players on their lists.

I'm not saying keep anyone just saying that who ever we draft some will evolve into so called foot soldiers. Clubs have always had and will continue to have average players on their lists.
Rather delist grey , why not turn him into deboer and spurr hybrid. if deboer still around kid dont have opportunity, and also limit deboer opportunity to play afl.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are a lot of people on this forum with little to no understanding of the actual value Chris Mayne brings each and every week. He will be sorely missed.

That said, I will be very happy if we get a nivr pick for him. And shocked. Because the AFL are never going to do that.

Thanks for it all Mayney. Been one of his critics in recent years, but can't fault his commitment over the years. Got the best out of himself. Joy to watch at his peak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back