The curious case of Chris Mayne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So WCE received pick 37 for Selwood Free agency last year & Hawthorn got 39 for Suckling. I'm not an expert with the free agency, but would these compos be straight after their 2nd rounders?

If so, does that mean if the Mayne compo is a 2nd rounder (and not end of 2nd rounder) it will be pick 22, which would be our current 2nd if we had it (traded to GC)?

makes the future 2nd round trade last year look a bit silly if we'd have 3, 21 & 22. Though we wouldn't have got Balic who could be anything..

So WCE received pick 37 for Selwood Free agency last year & Hawthorn got 39 for Suckling. I'm not an expert with the free agency, but would these compos be straight after their 2nd rounders?

If so, does that mean if the Mayne compo is a 2nd rounder (and not end of 2nd rounder) it will be pick 22, which would be our current 2nd if we had it (traded to GC)?

makes the future 2nd round trade last year look a bit silly if we'd have 3, 21 & 22. Though we wouldn't have got Balic who could be anything..
Yes. That is how the compo would work.

We already got one of these in Crozier :)
No, he's not. Like Ibbo he's slow to move the ball on and so usually is forced to kick down the line or switch kick. And in all honesty I can't remember seeing him break the line like MJ does with his pump fakes, or Duffman did with his short bursts of speed which were invariably followed by a pinpoint disposal.

When DMan 11 says a quarterback is required not only is he correct but he's also reinforcing the coaches' position. At the Locker Room function a few months back Simon Eastaugh said that the loss of MJ was the most telling injury we had, an assessment reinforced by RTB who has consistently spoken about our biggest problem this year being our struggle to move the ball out of defence.

However, whilst SPS is the most obvious solution to this problem (in lieu of MJ's return) and is still likely to be our pick it would not be a complete shock to see Andrew McGrath selected instead as we seek to cover the elite +100 tackles/season and innumerable pressure acts that we lose with Mayne's departure.

Is it just me or is that article pumping him up a bit? I think this works for both parties. I love what Chris has done for us on and off the field, only the second player to wear 23. I'd love it to go to Tucker/Blakely for the rest of their careers for Freo. Hopefully he does well wherever he goes.

No, he's not. Like Ibbo he's slow to move the ball on and so usually is forced to kick down the line or switch kick. And in all honesty I can't remember seeing him break the line like MJ does with his pump fakes, or Duffman did with his short bursts of speed which were invariably followed by a pinpoint disposal.

To be fair on Crozier, he's only played half a seasons worth of games in defense.

Get a pre season into him in defense and see what his movements and confidence is like then

He's been a great servant for the club for us and his 2012-2013 years were the best he's ever played. Definitely played a part in our success during those times. But he has not been the same player since then and had gone too far backwards. It's best for both him and the club to move on.

I don't think he's an instinctive defender having played (AFAIK) most of his football on the ball or up forward.

He's not a defender per se but neither was Duffield. Croz could be our next Duffman and we need a precision kicking rebounder. Tucker or Weller could also do this role. I reckon Croz has potential to be elite and with a pre-season under his belt in this role he'll be a jet.

He's not a defender per se but neither was Duffield. Croz could be our next Duffman and we need a precision kicking rebounder. Tucker or Weller could also do this role. I reckon Croz has potential to be elite and with a pre-season under his belt in this role he'll be a jet.
Crozier has never struck me as that quick or as having the ability to drop the eyes in traffic. His strengths are his ability to read the ball off the pack, particularly up forward, and as an aerialist. Tucker's decision making has been stunning for one so young, but again, he's not quick, he's outside and his kicking has too much loop.

Agree that Weller could be serviceable in the role, but signs are his greatest value will be further up the ground and on the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did anyone have a chuckle at the comment about him being worth circa 500k a season?

Sad to see this guy go, tbh. His 2013 Prelim final was incredible. 11 tackles I think it was. He said that tackles count more then goals, and agreed at the time. That goal he kicked to get us to within 3 points..
He was a solid player that gave his all each and every game. At his height, playing second fiddle to Pavlich was always tough, imagine if he had a forward line with more then just Pav. He would've been a different player, definitely. Glad he played 172 games for the club, lifelong member now so that won't be taken away from him. He'll give his all for whoever picks him up next season that's for sure.
Yeah, three years ago he went alright.

There are a lot of people on this forum with little to no understanding of the actual value Chris Mayne brings each and every week. He will be sorely missed.

That said, I will be very happy if we get a nivr pick for him. And shocked. Because the AFL are never going to do that.

What value is that exactly?

Mayne had like 1 good season in his whole career and people think this guy contributed massively. Because of Ross Lyons defence game plan, his deficiencies were covered up nicely. Which makes us ponder- what could have been, if we dropped this guy earlier and bred someone who could kick goals when it mattered.

Mould our back line on something like the bullies and we'll go alright. No big monsters, but all Great kicks, one who is the zip off the line in johansen and they just roll off for one another better than any other team. Structure, quality kicks and some zip and balls to go the middle and 45 everytime

I am more convinced that mayne compo will be mid to later 2nd rounder, maybe early 3rd.

Basically pick 30-39. I reckon zac clarke compo will be around there too.

I am more convinced that mayne compo will be mid to later 2nd rounder, maybe early 3rd.

Basically pick 30-39. I reckon zac clarke compo will be around there too.

It either has to be after "our" 2nd round pick (i.e. 22 before academy picks) or end of 2nd round (37 before academy picks), or after our 3rd round pick (i.e. 40). That is what the free agency rules provide for, nothing else: http://www.afl.com.au/afl-hq/the-afl-explained/free-agency

The AFL can change the rules at the last minute if there is an "anomalous result" but I can't see it happening for Chris Mayne and a 2nd.

It may end up being a different number as compo picks and academy selections are allocated but in essence it will be one of those points.

Mould our back line on something like the bullies and we'll go alright. No big monsters, but all Great kicks, one who is the zip off the line in johansen and they just roll off for one another better than any other team. Structure, quality kicks and some zip and balls to go the middle and 45 everytime
The only problem is we dont have any great kicks (maybe Hill excepted), we are the turnover merchants....and we spent the pre-season supposedly on skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back