The curious case of Chris Mayne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
4 year deal at the Pies- looking the most likely

I don't understand their logic at all, replace Cloke for Mayne.
I think maybe langdon deal later on as sweeteners,Banker you should know that. Behind close door maybe pies said we gave you compensation but we want langdon.

Revenge for Jack Anthony is sweet.
Would be a good start but I don't think we'll ever be able to even the ledger on that one :$

I mean, Mayne does a lot of running around achieving very little sometimes, but faaark me this clown :eek:

Last edited:
I think maybe langdon deal later on as sweeteners,Banker you should know that. Behind close door maybe pies said we gave you compensation but we want langdon.
I understand why the Pies would be after him. They are really bad on the defensive side of the ball, their pressure is from Blair in the forward line and that's it. Mayne is consistent if nothing else (we really are bagging him too much) and allows them to keep Howe down in the back line. Mayne has led us in tackles the last 2 years and he stays relatively healthy. He'll probably kick 40+ goals for them as well.. :)

Left footers who can kick in back half ie Hawks - Guerra, Birchall, hodge, suckling, Jurrea, with the occasional assistance from Lewis and Mitchell. Let's not forget their other lefties. Rioli, roughie, Franklin,

So let's keep developing crozier our only leftie down back. Maybe down track tucker can develop as rebounding defender.

4 year contract for Mayne? Holy crap, if that's true Collingwood's recruiters have lost the plot. but i'll take it, if it gets us pick 22 then they can knock themselves out.

I note that article said he could 'also play as a key defender'. Well so could Brent Harvey. He'd just be a complete potato at it.

I dont think we'll get much compo at all for Mayney. Hes almost at a level of being given zero compo.

If he goes to another club, we will get compensation.
The only time you don't get compensation is if the player gets a one or two year contract only at basic wage.
If that was the case we'd keep Mayne.
Apparently, he had three clubs interested, so they must have competed with each other for his signature.

I really hope this is true btw. I'm operating on faith here rather than knowledge.

I dont think we'll get much compo at all for Mayney. Hes almost at a level of being given zero compo.

Not if he's getting a 4 year contract at reasonable dollars. And he's not old for a free agent. They're the only things taken into account when determining compo.

That he's pretty useless is, apparently, not a consideration.

Not if he's getting a 4 year contract at reasonable dollars. And he's not old for a free agent. They're the only things taken into account when determining compo.

That he's pretty useless is, apparently, not a consideration.

As useless as some on here think Mayne is he is top 5 in 4 of the leading club stats incl leading in tackles and second in marks and for all those that judge a player on dream team points he is fifth in that as well. Some on here need to get a grip on a players worth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he goes to another club, we will get compensation.
The only time you don't get compensation is if the player gets a one or two year contract only at basic wage.
If that was the case we'd keep Mayne.
Apparently, he had three clubs interested, so they must have competed with each other for his signature.

I really hope this is true btw. I'm operating on faith here rather than knowledge.
I don't think that people are paying enough attention to self interest in this debate.

Firstly I am sure that we have a base level offer on the table for Mayne, I would assume that it is not as much as his previous contract or as much as he wants. This would mean that we will not accept poor offers.
Secondly, people pay what he is worth to them and what they perceive their weaknesses are. A defensive forward in a lineup with none would be worth plenty even if he kicks nothing. For us that's worth little as all our forwards play a defensive role. But for others that's gold.
For Mayne to get 500k per year I would have thought would be easy. The question is is that for 2,3 or 4 years. For us 3 years is overs because we are looking for an emerging youth brigade. For someone who thinks they are 1-2 yrs from finals and 3-4 yrs from a GF it's perfect. Particularly if you are a team with nobody who has played in a GF like a NM.

Would be a good start but I don't think we'll ever be able to even the ledger on that one :$

I mean, Mayne does a lot of running around achieving very little at times, but faaark me this clown :eek:

That was pretty incredible though. We watched a player's brain explode so hard he lost us a game and got his ticket stamped in just 1 quarter of football

As useless as some on here think Mayne is he is top 5 in 4 of the leading club stats incl leading in tackles and second in marks and for all those that judge a player on dream team points he is fifth in that as well. Some on here need to get a grip on a players worth.

Good to see some rational thinking in this thread for a change.

The amount of disrespect being put towards Mayne by some is mind blowing. I know there's plenty of keyboard warriors here doing their thing, but if you think clearly for a moment, he's at least a reasonable quality player who's hard at it, rarely injury impacted (though had a dog year last year because of his ankle), as good worker on a field as you're going to get and, if allowed to play as a genuine 3rd tall/medium fwd, will almost guarantee make your team better. He's not a big goal scorer, OK we get it, in part that's because he plays a style that doesn't get him lots of shots - hence he should be a 3rd string target where the bulk of finishing comes from other true KPP fwds. We've had to play him as a 2nd tall for most of his career and it's not really his thing - yet he's still done fairly well for much of it.

I've criticised Mayne too because I think, for how we've needed him, he just needed to hit the scoreboard more often, but let's keep it in check. He'd be a lock 22 in many sides in the comp. With that in mind, he'd be worth a good middle of the road AFL wage at least (last I checked that was $305K P/A). Someone of Mayne's experience and age would genuinely sit at $350-$450K as a starting point. Being his last 'big contract', pushing to 500K on the front end of a c.1.2 mil over 3 years - that would be about right, if not more. People making song and dance about the $500K (none of which is confirmed anyway) might want to touch base with reality too. That would be about the mark.

Last edited:
4 year contract for Mayne? Holy crap, if that's true Collingwood's recruiters have lost the plot. but i'll take it, if it gets us pick 22 then they can knock themselves out.

I note that article said he could 'also play as a key defender'. Well so could Brent Harvey. He'd just be a complete potato at it.

Feels like one of those rare times when the ignorance displayed by Vics is actually (potentially) highly advantageous.

Good to see some rational thinking in this thread for a change.

The amount of disrespect being put towards Mayne by some is mind blowing. I know there's plenty of keyboard warriors here doing their thing, but if you think clearly for a moment, he's at least a reasonable quality player who's hard at it, rarely injury impacted (though had a dog year last year because of his ankle), as good worker on a field as you're going to get and, if allowed to play as a genuine 3rd tall/medium fwd, will almost guarantee make your team better. He's not a big goal scorer, OK we get it, in part that's because he plays a style that doesn't get him lots of shots - hence he should be a 3rd string target where the bulk of finishing comes from other true KPP fwds. We've had to play him as a 2nd tall for most of his career and it's not really his thing - yet he's still done fairly well for much of it.

I've criticised Mayne too because I think, for how we've needed him, he just needed to hit the scoreboard more often, but let's keep it in check. He'd be a lock 22 in many sides in the comp. With that in mind, he'd be worth a good middle of the road AFL wage at least (last I checked that was $305K P/A). Someone of Mayne's experience and age would genuinely sit at $350-$450K as a starting point. Being his last 'big contract', pushing to 500K on the front end of a c.1.2 mil over 3 years - that would be about right, if not more. People making song and dance about the $500K (none of which is confirmed anyway) might want to touch base with reality too. That would be about the mark.

I honestly believe he could thrive in a new environment making it a true win/win situation.

That was pretty incredible though. We watched a player's brain explode so hard he lost us a game and got his ticket stamped in just 1 quarter of football
gone in 60 seconds jack anthony.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back