the curse of #36 strikes again

If they stop using #1 for the players, I don't understand what is stopping them from doing the same with #36.
They can't. They need the revenue from our Memberships. If we all die (which we inevitably would with #36) then we'll end up like Footscray...

flinchfree

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
They can't. They need the revenue from our Memberships. If we all die (which we inevitably would with #36) then we'll end up like Footscray...

Hmmm, what about a straight swap?
#36 goes to the members - as we have almost as many senior games in it as the players....
#1 goes back into circulation for the playing group, with the proud history it has given the HFC

36 could be the number of cups were looking for before returning the number to the clubs players :p

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
#36 goes to the members - as we have almost as many senior games in it as the players....
#1 goes back into circulation for the playing group, with the proud history it has given the HFC

36 could be the number of cups were looking for before returning the number to the clubs players :p
We all end up with serious illnesses and Hawthorn will have the lowest member base of any club

flinchfree

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We all end up with serious illnesses and Hawthorn will have the lowest member base of any club

I'd put money on it not making an iota of difference to membership numbers next year, but can't promise any HFC player knowing how to break out of the 36 slump...:oops:

Maybe they should just burn it and be done with it!:mad:

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'd put money on it not making an iota of difference to membership numbers next year, but can't promise any HFC player knowing how to break out of the 36 slump...:oops:

Maybe they should just burn it and be done with it!:mad:
I liked how someone said last year that we should draft Chappy and give him 36. He could have trained with our new development coach for old times' sake.

Yes, I know, and I've never liked that idea. If I were someone like Ray Jencke who wore the number for 188 games, I'd want to see my number being paraded on the ground, not just tossed aside and forgotten. Seems strange to retire a number for the hell of it.

How many fans do we see wearing the number 1 on their jumpers?
Agreed. Give it back to the players!

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks

i like it, so when we win our 36th cup the number loses its curse, but at the expense of our club not winning another premiership for 100 years or something disasterous........ by that time who cares we have 36 cups......

being more serious, just retire the number, no player HAS to wear it, its just bad luck

Vacant numbers

12:
13:
21:
30:
34:
36:
38:
44:

I think Hartung and Sicily will both get lower numbers for next year.

Wonder if Langford has eyed up a lower one? Wouldn't mind seeing Anderson in 12.

Big A

Club Legend
Mar 10, 2010
St Kilda
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Bring back no1 ffs....the novelty has gone past its use by date

I shoulda put that as what I wanted on the HFC membership survey

Seriously, I don't get it. It has no meaning for me as a fan the no1 :confused:

Cyril_Grip

Debutant
Oct 12, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Western Warriors East Freo FC Juve
I don't thin Langford will change numbers. For memory Langford wore 48 in 2011 & 2012.

Correct, Langford changed numbers end of last year from memory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cyril_Grip

Debutant
Oct 12, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Western Warriors East Freo FC Juve
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413498555.342809.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Quad injury to sideline Webster, HAWTHORN youngster Zac Webster is set to miss the next six to eight weeks with a quad injury.

Webster, who was making his NAB Challenge debut in Thursday's match against Carlton, injured himself in the warm-up and did not make it onto the field.

GM - Football Operations Chris Fagan said it was a disappointing blow for the 20-year-old, who has endured a tough run with injuries in recent times.

"Zac injured himself in the warm-up, with his final kick out on the ground," Fagan said.

"We believed it to be a minor injury - he was still able to run, but couldn't generate power with his kicking.

"As a precaution, our medical staff decided not to play him.

"As it turns out, the injury was a lot more serious than we first thought. The scans have revealed Webby has a significant quad strain, which looks like keeping him out for about six to eight weeks."

After being restricted by hamstring injuries in 2015, the exciting forward-midfielder had been a standout pre-season performer for the Hawks.

He was set to debut in his home state, Tasmania, in front of friends and family, in the Hawks' 21-point win against the Blues.

"Zac had about 35 people travelling up from Hobart to watch, so it's really disappointing that he wasn't able to get out there," Fagan said.

"But he's bounced back from injury before, and we're sure he'll do all the right things with his rehab and bounce back again this time."

May 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Webster wears number 31. Lovell has 36.
View attachment 218808

How embarrassing, I was so certain he wore 36 I hadn't even checked if he still wore it!

Here's something interesting I found on the 36 history:

Well, could this be the answer? Could it be all to do with the number he carries on his jumper - 36? You see, we now discover it is so jinxed that the 39 men who have worn it during the club's history have played a combined meagre 176 games, 21 of whom never even got to play a game while wearing it (although a handful went on to make their debuts in another number).

http://www.theage.com.au/news/geoff...-curse-of-no-36/2005/07/25/1122143779837.html

What's more, no premiership player has ever worn it, only three have taken it to a finals match and just one of them has become a life member.

The curse of 36 was brought to our attention after it bobbed up on a Hawk website that chronicles the guernsey's history "since the unremarkable Francis Booth (three games) became the first Maybloom to don the accursed guernsey" in 1939.

kimbopen

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2005
gc_26=geelong choke by 26
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
How embarrassing, I was so certain he wore 36 I hadn't even checked if he still wore it!

Here's something interesting I found on the 36 history:

Well, could this be the answer? Could it be all to do with the number he carries on his jumper - 36? You see, we now discover it is so jinxed that the 39 men who have worn it during the club's history have played a combined meagre 176 games, 21 of whom never even got to play a game while wearing it (although a handful went on to make their debuts in another number).

http://www.theage.com.au/news/geoff...-curse-of-no-36/2005/07/25/1122143779837.html

What's more, no premiership player has ever worn it, only three have taken it to a finals match and just one of them has become a life member.

The curse of 36 was brought to our attention after it bobbed up on a Hawk website that chronicles the guernsey's history "since the unremarkable Francis Booth (three games) became the first Maybloom to don the accursed guernsey" in 1939.

That article was from 2005.

Pretty sure Max Bailey wore number 36 for a season or two. If so, he'd be the only premiership player with that dubious honour now.

Back