Analysis The Curtis Taylor hit

Remove this Banner Ad

It's quite incredible isn't it? Taylor could do nothing to protect himself, he was a sitting duck. The its a contact sport attitude in here is terrible, they are basically saying what happened to Taylor doesn't matter and we don't care if something like this happens again and it will. Maybe next time it wont only be a concussion, maybe it will be a broken jaw, neck or a fractured skull or dare I say it, a death.

I suspect soon enough the AFL will take action on reckless leaps that injure an opponent.
Nobody’s saying it doesn’t matter. It’s just an accident. How do you propose they avoid these accidents?

Do you want players banned from flying at an opponent to spoil the footy?

It’s the exact same as when two blokes have their eyes on the ball and run into each other. It’s a nasty thing to witness and leads to some bad injuries but it’s unfortunately unavoidable due to how footy is. A game that is 360 degrees with bodies flying at one another at high intensities. Bad things will happen.

Last edited:
terrible lack of duty of care by the PA player, amazed the AFL turns a blind eye to it in the 21st Century.

knees to the head are potential killers especially moving forward at that speed. A verticle leap and knee on the shoulder is completely different and could stay in the game.

instead we have stupid stand-still rules occupying the 'brains' of AFL house.

jesus wept.
What a load of bullshit. Houston has his eye on the ball the whole time with intent only to spoil. Bet you wouldn’t have the same opinion if it was a Richmond player doing the spoiling. So let’s take out the high mark as well as how many time has a player gone for a leap and hit another player on the head with his knee. Quite often I would say. I know let’s just take all contact out of the game. Jesus wept.

What a load of bullshit. Houston has his eye on the ball the whole time with intent only to spoil. Bet you wouldn’t have the same opinion if it was a Richmond player doing the spoiling. So let’s take out the high mark as well as how many time has a player gone for a leap and hit another player on the head with his knee. Quite often I would say. I know let’s just take all contact out of the game. Jesus wept.
Yep. People don’t like seeing head injuries but the reality is they are a part of the game. You’ve got bodied flying everywhere, players running into each touch from multiple directions. Head knocks happen.

I couldn’t even count how many times playing footy I’ve either found myself or seen someone end up in serious danger of being concussed all because players are running into one another and having no time to stop or haven’t seen each other.

don't throw club biases at me. I've no time for it.

those acts shouldn't be in the game.

that is a traumatic brain injury in action, maybe not critical, but add it to the pile of TBIs and risk of long term consequences increases.

for me it is the most dangerous legal act left in the game and has to go.

Nobody’s saying it doesn’t matter. It’s just an accident. How do you propose they avoid these accidents?

Do you want players banned from flying at an opponent to spoil the footy?
Late tackles, high tackles, high bumps, sling tackles are all often accidents, I mean Danger is probably going to cop a 3 week suspension for a head clash. We still look to get them out of our game due to how reckless and the potential damage that they can cause. It's no longer a free for all.

No one wants to ban the speccy but if you look at this particularly leap and how far the Port player came, could this incident been avoided? I think so. If the Port player knew if I mistime my leap here and clean up Taylor like he did that's a 3 week suspension, maybe he would've taken greater care. Maybe its a case that he simply can't get there to spoil. So be it. The players wellbeing has to be the priority here, particularly one who has his back to an opponent, can't avoid the incident or brace for impact.

Yes accidents happen, players will keep getting hurt but for me the potential of this particular incident happening again could at least be reduced.

Late tackles, high tackles, high bumps, sling tackles are all often accidents, I mean Danger is probably going to cop a 3 week suspension for a head clash. We still look to get them out of our game due to how reckless and the potential damage that they can cause. It's no longer a free for all.

No one wants to ban the speccy but if you look at this particularly leap and how far the Port player came, could this incident been avoided? I think so. If the Port player knew if I mistime my leap here and clean up Taylor like he did that's a 3 week suspension, maybe he would've taken greater care. Maybe its a case that he simply can't get there to spoil. So be it. The players wellbeing has to be the priority here, particularly one who has his back to an opponent, can't avoid the incident or brace for impact.

Yes accidents happen, players will keep getting hurt but for me the potential of this particular incident happening again could at least be reduced.
Bad tackles, bumps etc have been banned and it has not fundamentally changed the game.

What you are talking about is making a fundamental change to the game. Knees go up whenever a player jumps to attempt to mark or spoil the ball. The only way to avoid them injuring a player from time to time would be to ban players from jumping at the footy.

The Port player did something he’s done plenty of times before by coming across and affecting a marking contest with a spoil. That is a fundamental part of defending.

Bad tackles, bumps etc have been banned and it has not fundamentally changed the game.

What you are talking about is making a fundamental change to the game. Knees go up whenever a player jumps to attempt to mark or spoil the ball. The only way to avoid them injuring a player from time to time would be to ban players from jumping at the footy.

The Port player did something he’s done plenty of times before by coming across and affecting a marking contest with a spoil. That is a fundamental part of defending.

Is it possible to have a similar approach as the bump? Ie you can still do it, but if it does wrong, you’re in the s**t...?

Yea bad tackles, bumps have been banned so why can't bad leaps? How many Jumps/marks do we see a game? and how many are so clumsy like todays one? So I really don't think it is that fundamental, you dont need to ban players from jumping at the footy. If its an innocuous boot,knee, elbow, etc you'll cop a suspension like your other small level incidents. But if you come charging in at such a distance like the Port player, are incredibly reckless, show no duty of care and end up cleaning up someone like he did you really should be suspended.

I mean look at Jeremy Cameron he got five weeks for his hit on Andrews, he was still looking to spoil, he was jumping at the ball, yes it was with his elbow. But if it was with his knee do we say, play on its just footy?

I honestly think the league should consider helmets mandatory for all players. Every footy player I know has experienced concussion at least once from the game which is crazy and concerning. There's too many ways it can happen number to adequantly prevent it with new rules.

Is it possible to have a similar approach as the bump? Ie you can still do it, but if it does wrong, you’re in the sh*t...?
The thing is with bumps is the majority of the bad ones are avoidable.

All the knee incidents I’ve seen involve a player doing something they’d do plenty of times a season and nothing normally ever happens. The player has zero intent to do anything to another player, they are trying to get to the ball and a player happens to run into their knee, hip or whatever.
Yea bad tackles, bumps have been banned so why can't bad leaps? How many Jumps/marks do we see a game? and how many are so clumsy like todays one? So I really don't think it is that fundamental, you dont need to ban players from jumping at the footy. If its an innocuous boot,knee, elbow, etc you'll cop a suspension like your other small level incidents. But if you come charging in at such a distance like the Port player, are incredibly reckless, show no duty of care and end up cleaning up someone like he did you really should be suspended.

I mean look at Jeremy Cameron he got five weeks for his hit on Andrews, he was still looking to spoil, he was jumping at the ball, yes it was with his elbow. But if it was with his knee do we say, play on its just footy?
How was he clumsy? He made a play on the footy and made a perfect spoil. Knees go up naturally when you jump and they also serve as a defensive mechanism for your own body when attacking the footy.

What you are proposing is telling players to not go at the ball with any intent because it might injure someone. You actually can’t have players leaping with any sort of genuine height because the knee will always have the potential to injure.

Jeremy Cameron stuck his elbow up and collected Harris Andrews brutally. He had genuine intent.

I honestly think the league should consider helmets mandatory for all players. Every footy player I know has experienced concussion at least once from the game which is crazy and concerning. There's too many ways it can happen number to adequantly prevent it with new rules.
Helmets don’t prevent your brain from bouncing against your skull.

Im not going drive my car into work tomorrow just incase I have an accident.
I would suggest against catching public transport or walking there either.

Also, are there any tree's near your house. If so, be careful, they may fall on top of the house.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

don't throw club biases at me. I've no time for it.

those acts shouldn't be in the game.

that is a traumatic brain injury in action, maybe not critical, but add it to the pile of TBIs and risk of long term consequences increases.

for me it is the most dangerous legal act left in the game and has to go.
I agree with him, are you going to throw the club bias allegation at me too?

The AFL has gone a long way to reduce TBIs, but won't outlaw knees to heads if it is in the air.

They set up the future TBI compensation fund, but prevention is obviously preferable.

Football is a contact sport. Whilst it remains like that there will always be the potential for serious injury.

Yes but perhaps we could look at reducing the likelihood of a catastrophic/lethal injury caused by a knee flying at an unprotected temple?

You can’t jump in the air without the potential for your knee ending up collecting someone.
You can absolutely reduce the impact of such hits by outlawing the raising of the knee past the hip.

Once the thigh reaches parallel to the ground, the force behind the knee is magnified significantly.

Allow players to fly for marks but if you collect someone in the head with the point of your knee, that should be a hefty automatic suspension.

My point is obvious and the whole reason the AFL knows these injuries aren’t acceptable. “It’s a contact sport, play it or don’t” doesn’t cut it with kids. It’s not their call, it’s their parents. Without junior footy the game is dead. All footballers were junior footballers not long ago.

The long term future of the game is actually something the AFL are responsible for. It’s a bloody conundrum.
And there was the Irish girl who fractured her neck this year but there have been broken legs in soccer tackles and Andrew Bogut blew out his elbow falling after a rebound.
None of those compare to how often kids get injured riding their bikes.

There was a bloke who came out from the US before covid to do talks with the afl on concussion in sports and laid out the data for head trauma with kids and whats recorded at organised sport is far less than like I said on the bikes or just random stuff at home.
I’ll see if I can find it

It seems a fair few people in this thread have taken a flying knee or two to the head in their day.

The OP raises a good point about the disconnect between 'the head is sacrosanct' and 'good work smashing that campaigner in the back of the head with your knee, mate, here have a cookie'.

And yet all the rest of you can do is sit around yelling 'you can't change nuffin! Contact sport! Political correctness gone mad! Rabble rabble rabble!'.

Your idiotic and worthless opinions on 'bring back the biff' are not the issue - the issue is how the AFL will be able to reconcile things like this in future lawsuits. There's no easy solution, but old mate Gil might need to start thinking of one.

Can all of those on here that are being critical of Dan Houston please tell me what rule of the game he actually broke?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

And there was the Irish girl who fractured her neck this year but there have been broken legs in soccer tackles and Andrew Bogut blew out his elbow falling after a rebound.
None of those compare to how often kids get injured riding their bikes.

There was a bloke who came out from the US before covid to do talks with the afl on concussion in sports and laid out the data for head trauma with kids and whats recorded at organised sport is far less than like I said on the bikes or just random stuff at home.
I’ll see if I can find it

Yep totally appreciate theres injuries in all sports and there will always be injuries in Australian footy too.

This is a head / skull / CTE issue however, which is obviously now an extremely sensitive issue and that’s not going to change as more research is done.

For this reason the AFL has made some fairly considerable changes to the way the game is played, all in the name of trying to eliminate dangerous head hits.

I’m wondering where this situation sits and what will happen with it, given it’s now been firmly established that as far the head goes, intent is largely irrelevant. You just can’t hit it And outcomes like today can be incredibly, incredibly dangerous. It can be just as bad as a head high bump, if not worse.

It seems a fair few people in this thread have taken a flying knee or two to the head in their day.

The OP raises a good point about the disconnect between 'the head is sacrosanct' and 'good work smashing that campaigner in the back of the head with your knee, mate, here have a cookie'.

And yet all the rest of you can do is sit around yelling 'you can't change nuffin! Contact sport! Political correctness gone mad! Rabble rabble rabble!'.

Your idiotic and worthless opinions on 'bring back the biff' are not the issue - the issue is how the AFL will be able to reconcile things like this in future lawsuits. There's no easy solution, but old mate Gil might need to start thinking of one.

As I said some people are for whatever reason pretty much incapable of having a conversation beyond the black and white. This is a very, very tricky one.

Im not saying Houston did anything “wrong”, nor am I saying we change the rules, or eliminate things from the game. But Jesus, there’s a screaming issue there compared to what we’ve been told on every other type of head contact for a long time now.

I don’t know what the answer is but a few centimetres either way today and Curtis Taylor could be dead. Some will say that alarmist... but it’s reality.

More than that though, it’s a business and an industry.

“It’s a contact sport” doesn’t cut it if you’re in charge of running the game and junior numbers plummet.
Wtf is this nonsense.
That is AFL footy
If people don't wanna play it you can't keep changing the sport until it resembles soccer to get more soccer players playing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back