Analysis The D Word

Remove this Banner Ad

Another step forward taken today.

We need to look hard at the DFA list to build up the quality of the NBs next season to help develop the kids.

Would start with Barlow, Grimes and a couple of hard workers that are just below AFL standard such as Mitchell if they don't get picked up on main lists.

Plenty of opportunity for some of the younger ones to then push their claims to get back on an AFL list.

All I ever read on this forum is "they will be good depth" or "we need more depth players" which always bemuses me because if every player spoken about was for this "depth" purpose, then that would be all we'd have on the list.

So some serious questions for everyone to answer :

1. How do you define or constitute what a "depth" player is ??

2. How many "depth" players should you have on a playing list ??

3. Who are the players at Carlton considered to be "depth" ??

Mods, can we keep duplicates of all posts regarding depth in the appropriate depth thread please?

I think 'depth player' has 2 meanings.
1. The first meaning is a player who is not in the best 22 who can come in and do a job for the team when a best 22 player is injured, suspended, so on.
The second meaning is a player in our best 22 who would not be in any other team's. 'Would at best be a depth player at another club'.
2. Player's not in the best 22 might all be depth players if using the primary meaning. I say might because I think there are other categories such as 'project players'.
Ideally no club wants players in its best 22 that would at best be a depth player at other clubs. GWS is the club that has players outside its best 22 that would be best 22 at our club and other clubs. Bringing GWS' list size and salary cap into line with other clubs will hopefully curtail this advantage ...
3. Those not getting regular games in best 22 but can do a job when called on: Graham, Everitt, Gorringe and Buckley. On this meaning, Jacksch, DVR, Jones, Tutt and Whiley are on shaky ground.
The interesting one is players in our best 22 who would not be best 22 at other clubs ... Boekhorst, White, Rowe, Kerridge, Armfield, Thomas. (If Everitt is in our best 22, then he is in this group as he would not be in the best 22 at other clubs.)
So our trading and drafting might be measured in the short term on how many of our 'bottom 6' gets pushed out of our best 22. If Tuohy leaving means we need another 'depth' player to fill in then that is not a good sign.

tend to agree with effendi which in itself is unsettling - we don't bring depth players into the club - we bring quality in that hopefully push current players into the dreaded depth category......

tend to agree with effendi which in itself is unsettling - we don't bring depth players into the club - we bring quality in that hopefully push current players into the dreaded depth category......
I agree, except if we are getting those players for the equivalent of nothing, such as Palmer for the highest ever pick to be traded, or DFAs.

As the D-thread has pointed out, the strength of our VFL team is important to overall success. Not critical, but important, because it gives a good indicator of the depth of talent on the list.

So, when you can get a player for nothing, even if it's likely they play more VFL than AFL, if they are better than someone else on the list, it's a good thing. Attacking both 'ends' (AFL / VFL team quality) of the problem at the same time is more effective than only hitting the top half of the list and waiting for it to filter down. Trickle down economics probably doesn't cut it in AFL world.

I agree, except if we are getting those players for the equivalent of nothing, such as Palmer for the highest ever pick to be traded, or DFAs.

As the D-thread has pointed out, the strength of our VFL team is important to overall success. Not critical, but important, because it gives a good indicator of the depth of talent on the list.

So, when you can get a player for nothing, even if it's likely they play more VFL than AFL, if they are better than someone else on the list, it's a good thing. Attacking both 'ends' (AFL / VFL team quality) of the problem at the same time is more effective than only hitting the top half of the list and waiting for it to filter down. Trickle down economics probably doesn't cut it in AFL world.

Exactly, once you improve the numbers of the guys competing for the last 6 places in the senior side, you will drive more to improve. Then you can concentrate on top end talent

In case posters keen on finding it are confused, the thread is actually called The D Word.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My view is that there's a difference between "depth players", and a "team with depth"...

Depth players can't quite make it into the best 22 for any number of reasons...

A team with depth has 25-30 players who are all best 22, but as we know, the rules are, only 22 of them can play on the day...

I'd rather Carlton be a team with depth, rather than a team with plenty of depth players...

My view is that there's a difference between "depth players", and a "team with depth"...

A team with depth has 25-30 players who are all best 22, but as we know, the rules are, only 22 of them can play on the day...

I'd rather Carlton be a team with depth, rather than a team with plenty of depth players...
Bulldogs are a team with depth, they lost players to injury, and won flags at both levels of the competition.

We are a team with depth players, guys who cannot get an extended run in a poor side and who would not get a game with a top 8 side. Not their fault in all cases, we wont be a serious contender until some of them are no longer with us. Kids who are in their first or second year are excused. Those in their 5th or more season in the system need to start making it or they will be gone.

No !!

Just because we are able to secure them for next to nothing doesn't mean we should be taking them willy-nilly.

Crap players are crap.

Palmer does nothing for us in the short or long term IMO, we should be avoiding recruitments like that at all costs (I accept that it may have had something to do with the Marchbank deal).

They aren't "depth", they they shouldn't be at the club at all.

No !!

Just because we are able to secure them for next to nothing doesn't mean we should be taking them willy-nilly.

Crap players are crap.

Palmer does nothing for us in the short or long term IMO, we should be avoiding recruitments like that at all costs (I accept that it may have had something to do with the Marchbank deal).
Yes !!

Backs:

Weitering, Plowman, Marchbank, Docherty
- all would probably get a spot in a top10 AFL side.

Capable Depth: Rowe, Simpson, Byrne - all capable of playing good football.

The rest: Buckley, Jacksh, Thomas, Sheehan White all potential emergency fillers.

Carlton has good backline depth.

Midfield:

Cripps, Murphy, Gibbs all would get a spot in a top10 side.

Capable Depth: E.Curnow, Palmer, Smedts, Armfield, Wright Sumner Everitt all capable of playing good football.

Developing: Cuningham, Boekhurst, Pickett, Kerridge,

Carlton has below average top line mids - but on a good day all going well can match it with most Clubs.

Rucks:
Kreuzer, Phillips capable of playing good football - would not get a game in every top10 side.
Carlton has poor ruck depth - buit how importnt is it really?

Forwards : zero forwards would get a game in every top10 side

Developing : SOJ, C.Curnow, McKay

Casboult, Jones, Gorringe KPP talls ...

Galluci, Lamb smalls.

Carlton has bottom four forward capability.

By my reckoning Carlton has (only) 16 players ( in bold) who are likely not to be trade unless they ask to go.

This is a bottom eight list - which is competitive if teh best players are on the park - but will struggle to kick a score and waste a lot of midfield work.

Assuming #5 is not a bust - that would make (only) 17 players who are genuine AFL list quality - the rest of teh list can not be counted on to deliver better than botom 8 class performances every week- and too many bolded players are too young and under developed to contribute solid games every week.

Bit harsh on old simmo there. Reckon he'd get a game at every team in the comp

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Maybe you are right - but I think he comes up a little short on rebound run and punishing kicking.

Thy and Sheik agreeing on something.

I'm worried the world has effen ended...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back