Analysis The D Word

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry wrong thread but I just coached my U14/15 boys to a fantastic Grand final victory over a bunch of arsehole kids who were undefeated:eek::thumbsu::thumbsu::drunk:
Can the boys run through the midfield?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So from our Round 1 team we had out Docherty, Williamson and Pickett who are best 22, Lang who also may well be, and probably O’Brien and McKay who will be by year’s end. As I see it:

Defenders - LTI Docherty - Best 22 Williamson - Fringe Best 22 Macreadie - Depth Rowe, ASOS, O’Shea - Up and coming Schumacher - Rookie JGM

Mids - Fringe Best 22 Lang (injured), Cuningham - Depth Kerridge, Graham - Up and coming O’Brien, Polson - Rookie Shaw

Rucks - Depth Lobbe, Phillips - Up and coming TDK (Casboult preferred to a second ruck)

Forwards - Best 22 Pickett - Fringe Best 22 McKay - Up and coming Kerr - Rookie Lebois

Why were they arsehole kids?
I really encourage my kids in between overs by saying well done! As they we're starting to lose they decided to mock me and the kids and said to one player, "we don't care anyway" They were not humble or respectful kids at all! Classic case of silver spoon and never been beaten

It is better that's for sure. Guys like Graham and Kerridge getting regular AFL games to being regular VFL players. Not having to push Macreadie too much. Backline has depth, there are going to be players in the VFL who you could argue for being best 22. Probably no one in the VFL you could argue for being best 22 in the midfield or forward line yet, but that's the next piece of the puzzle.

After Round 2 the D Word is where it’s at.

Injured ... Kreuzer, Kennedy, Williamson, Lang, Lobbe, ASOS, Pickett, Docherty.
Short of a gallop ... Phillips, Rowe.
Need to find form in the VFL ... McKay, Shaw, Jack Silvagni
Young bodies ... O’Brien, TDK, Schumacher
I think Macreadie missed the VFL praccy match too.
Byrne was injured late in the match too.

Our midfield struggled without Kreuzer or the recognised ruck depth of Phillips or Lobbe. Casboult is a decent second ruck but going against Witts all match is beyond just about all the second rucks in the AFL ... and we struggled without the extra big bodied midfielder in Kennedy.

The Ins and Outs were rather interesting ... Out Kreuzer, Kennedy, Jack SOS ... In Polson, O’Shea, Cuningham.

Midfield is where we have the most problems IMO:

- Cripps A grade - battles manfully, cannot do it all.
- Ed Curnow B grade - solid.
- Murphy C grade (on first 2 rounds) - lots of ball, does not hurt the opposition.
- Fisher Bminus grade - pinch hits in midfield, does a lot of his work on the flanks, hands and disposal elite, pressures and tackles. Will up the rating.
- SPS Bminus Grade - where we want a second year midfielder, class by hand and foot, pressures and tackles. Needs an uninterrupted pre-season or 2 to run out games more. Will up the rating.
- Kennedy no rating - looked good in JLT and in first quarter against Tigers but injured so unable to rate. Have him in starting 18 so in top 5-6 midfielders we have.
- Polson no rating - has played twice when Kreuzer hasn’t and we’ve been thrashed both times. Found the footy a bit more against GC than he did against a Port last year but not ready. Needs to get back to his VFL form of early last season.
- Cuningham Cplus grade - needs to find it more. Pace and disposal are his standout traits, Prefer him on wing to HBF but understand we need to play him there. Will up the rating.
- Dow Cminus grade - young body finding his way and adjusting to AFL level pace. We saw what he can do in the JLT against St Kilda. Rushed in his disposal in first 2 games. Pressure acts a bonus. Will up the rating.
- O’Brien no rating - running power and kicking skills are standout traits. I think he will debut over the next few weeks.
- Lang Bminus (over time at Geelong) - injured, has pace and can kick a goal. We can do with him in the 22.
- Kerridge D grade - finds the ball, bigger body, tackles, turnover merchant.
- Graham Dplus grade - struggles with pace at AFL level which affects decision-making at this level.

Charlie, Garlett and Pickett better suited to forward roles and Williamson (no rating) as will play back flank / distributor when he returns.

Rucks I think it’s just unfortunate so early in the season the depth is there but not readily available with Kreuzer and Lobbe injured, Phillips returning from injury, McKay not really rucking at this stage, and TDK finding his feet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back