Analysis The D Word

GapInIkonPark

Premiership Player
Nov 22, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Won’t take much. Look at our side and who’s missing this week. Then a few names like Owies BSOS Schumacher Macreadie start to really improve. Add another 6-8 of which 2-4 are best 22 types and we are in a great spot 👍
I see something like this too. The telling thing for me is the quality on the interchange bench and then the next 4-6 who are stiff to miss the best 22. Our BF Consensus 22 before Season 2020 will be the most intense yet.

The pressure early this year was on the 2019 fourth year’s (Weitering, Harry, Charlie, Cuningham and JSOS). Injury aside, I think that group has stepped up. So hopefully similar pressure on the 2020 fourth year’s (SPS, Fisher, Macreadie, Polson, Willa and Kerr) and they step up.

So assuming everyone is fit, the very nice D-Word problems we may well have in 2020 look something like this:

Backline - Which of Simpson, Newman, Willa, Stocker or Macreadie takes the bench spot for a defender? (Weitering, Marchbank, Plowman, Jones, Docherty and SPS).

Forward - Which of Fisher, Kennedy, JSOS or DeLuca takes the bench spot for a forward? (Harry, Charlie, Mitch, Cuningham, Gibbons, + Recruit)

Midfield - Which of Setterfield or Dow takes the bench spot for a midfielder?
(Cripps, Walsh, Murphy, Ed, LO’b, + Recruit)

Ruck - Who assumes the no.1 ruck after Kreuzer? Does Casboult play bench and rotate ruck and forward? Who plays second ruck if not Casboult? If we think neither Phillips nor Lobbe, do we delist one or both, or delist in consecutive years?

All aboard the T-Train, lively debate in the off-season, and no doubt the list will be better in 2020.

Blue and Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 29, 2018
On the glory road
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Everton
Amazing how things change in 7 weeks. 7 weeks ago, I’d have thought we were as shallow as a puddle... but here we are!

It’s interesting because I don’t think we’ve fielded our 100% A-grade side since DT took over but we’re looking great.

Come next year, the selection table is going to have a headache picking the best 22 when we have so many guys knocking down the door for selection. TDK, Owies, Goddard... Even the guys who’ve been playing the past few weeks in the seniors - Lang, Kennedy, Deluca...

Not only that, but versatility across positions. Look at how SPS, Cas, Setters, Kennedy have settled in to position changes. Not only do we have personnel depth, but cross-sectional positional depth too.

This is a team with some serious wheels about it now.

Add in a Papley and other trade(s)...

Now I’m getting a headache...
Seen some deep puddles in my time. This one is a Doctor Foster job...................

(Log in to remove this ad.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

gab213

Club Legend
Aug 29, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Coburg VFL
This is the thread that just keeps on keeping on.

As long as people keep coming back to the thread to post their dismay at its very existence it will never
cease to exist.

Jabba73

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2009
Echuca
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Vixens
Think by the 2nd half of next year, we could have some serious talent running around in the magoos
About ******* time, been holding us back for years.

Need to have some sort of structure in place to help transition players into the senior side so they feel right at home and ready to play from their first match. Of course this will spell the end for our ‘three ruckman’ experiment.

GapInIkonPark

Premiership Player
Nov 22, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
We barely had any midfielders in the Northern Blues in 2019, and even less so when Kennedy came up into the Senior 22. Rarely played Polson in VFL midfield.

So makes sense to target young midfielders who can play and develop in our VFL midfield and hopefully are ready to step up if we have an injury and when Murphy and Ed are done. With Newnes and Martin, one or two players get squeezed out and back into VFL.

And all of Kemp, Philp and Ramsay have pace.

And one less ruck (Lobbe and Phillips out, Pittonet in) should result in better balance in our VFL team so hopefully gives TDK a better opportunity to develop his ruck/forward craft.

Top Bottom