Analysis The D Word

Remove this Banner Ad

The quality of your depth players plays a part as well, go back a few years and take a look at some of the players on our list.

kerridge, Boekhorst, Lamb,Smedts. Jaksch, Sumner, Palmer,Graham, Polson, Gorringe , Kerr, Lebois,

2018 - just a few

Mullett, O'Shea, Shaw

Some of these players were serviceable at times at best.

Makes a big difference when your list generally is made up of better quality players. It also allows some of the younger players to develop rather than being thrown into the team before they are ready.
Wow! That 2017 list!
You forget how bad that list was! Or should I say I’ve tried so hard to block that from my memory, but there it is Flooding back in all its horror!
I’ve broken into a cold sweat! 🤣

Round 4 with Pittonett and Durdin out and Cripps out of the game by quarter time. Went with JSOS as second ruck and Young as no2 defender.
O’Mac and McGovern also out.
Other injuries ... Marchbank, Cuningham, Honey
Also not playing VFL ... Carroll, Motlop, Williamson

We have shallow depth in ruck and key defensive posts. Mirkov is not ready to relief ruck in the Seniors, we are in trouble if Pitto goes down and further trouble if TDK also goes down. I can see Young rucking when O’Mac comes back.

We are in huge trouble if Weitering goes down.

We are ok for midfielders / flankers if we can get past the H&SPs and injuries ... Durdin, Dow, Newnes, Stocker, Cottrell … Carroll and Motlop.

Kemp possibly as a third tall, just building some form though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some posters have been ringing the changes - White out, Byrne in, Buckley out, Daisy in.

How will we know when we have enough depth? Or do you ever reach that stage of being able to cover your losses? It does feel good to have options (thanks largely to a shortish injury list) when you consider at times in the recent past we had something like 25 players to choose a team from.

Thy jinxed our entire club 6 and a half years ago.

Take it back ffs.

I think our depth is pretty good but it will depend on how well we went this draft.

When you come up with a best 22 and there's a good handful of players who aren't in it who you really like, I can't remember the last time I did that for a Carlton side. I think our depth is pretty good.

B: Young Weitering Williams
HB: Docherty McGovern Saad
C: Acres Cripps O'Brien
HF: Martin McKay Fisher
F: DeKoning Curnow Motlop
OB: Pittonet Walsh Cerra
IC: Silvagni Durdin Kennedy Hewett Marchbank Boyd

This is our probable round 1 squad. It's pretty good, damned if I know who you leave out.

Kemp, Carroll, Newman, Cottrell, Cuningham, Owies and Honey most likely too good for VFL. Dow will kill it again. Ed will kill it in the VFL. The two coming out of that squad will be far too good for VFL as well. For all we know some of our draftees might be right up there.

Then it comes to list management at the end of the season, whoever gets cut will be decent players for once.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back