Lang
Fisher
Cuningham
Curnow
Polson
Gibbons
Cottrell

Is that enough?

The only person qualified about talking about D is thylacine60 Loves a D …. embraces all its glory. Its all about depth apparently!

TheHeatleyStand

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 28, 2003
Iceland
AFL Club
Carlton
If we add Gibbons & Cottrell how's the D for a weakness in the midfield

Cripps
Kennedy
SPS
Dow
Setterfield
Walsh
Stocker
O'Brien
Murphy
Lang
Fisher
Cuningham
Curnow
Polson
Gibbons
Cottrell

Is that enough?
names mean nothing

it's about performances

once you get the successful performances then it's enough.. but you still need to keep improving it!

let's see end of season

Blue and Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 29, 2018
On the glory road
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Everton
names mean nothing

it's about performances

once you get the successful performances then it's enough.. but you still need to keep improving it!

let's see end of season
lets see in the time it takes for the team to flourish...one season is simply not enough
I mean if the names dont deliver by round 22 what then?..delist the lot again?
Of course not

If we add Gibbons & Cottrell how's the D for a weakness in the midfield

Cripps
Kennedy
SPS
Dow
Setterfield
Walsh
Stocker
O'Brien
Murphy
Lang
Fisher
Cuningham
Curnow
Polson
Gibbons
Cottrell

Is that enough?

I'm going to regret dropping the Soap(y), but here goes...

Cripps - absolute superstar
Kennedy - never had a clear run
SPS - very promising, needs time
Dow - very promising, needs time
Setterfield - very promising, needs time
Walsh - elite prospect, needs time
Stocker - solid prospect, needs time
O'Brien - still finding his feet
Murphy - star mid
Lang - jury is out
Fisher - very promising, on the verge
Cuningham - jury is out
Curnow - V strong defensive mid
Polson - shown little at afl level, has time
Gibbons - unproven at afl level
Cottrell - unproven even at junior level

You've listed a lot of names that can play midfield. But there aren't many I trust to win or beat their opponents most weeks; Cripps, Murphy, Curnow. And Murph is battling father time. Fisher might join them this year.

The rest are kids and will have below-average output for at least a couple of years.

So we have depth of talent, but won't have depth of output for a couple more years yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 11, 2005
Queensland
AFL Club
Carlton

Murphy - star mid
Lang - jury is out
Cuningham - jury is out

You've listed a lot of names that can play midfield. But there aren't many I trust to win or beat their opponents most weeks; Cripps, Murphy, Curnow. And Murph is battling father time. Fisher might join them this year.

The rest are kids and will have below-average output for at least a couple of years.

So we have depth of talent, but won't have depth of output for a couple more years yet.
And then Bang!!!!! Watch out AFL.

Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
When our young talent hits its straps, our premiership trophy cabinet is going to need more 'depth'....

Depth is the last thing it’ll need; no point in putting cups in front of the existing ones. More width or height is what we’ll want...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Aphrodite can we have a d-word only no discussion thread? I keep coming in here thinking something breaking has happened with our d-words, but it's just more chatter. A thread to keep the serious d-licious updates in would be grand...

I vote to turn this thread into a no-discussion thread ;)

Coona Blues

Director of Coaching
Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Bundaberg, Qld
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tasmania

Murphy - star mid
Lang - jury is out
Cuningham - jury is out

Borrowing your list for my views.
Cripps - may not stand out as much in the future. Once he learns to lean on his mates a bit and be extractor first, the team will benefit more
Kennedy - not going to be that dashing look at me type, but not beyond possible to reach a similar level to his Swans namesake
SPS - been a little disappointing, with teasing highlights. Fitness the key, if his preseason remains on track watch for a breakout year.
Dow - some spectacular glimpses in his debut year. Line breaker, also prepared to do the tough stuff. Already strong core. Gun in waiting
Setterfield - Rating off the charts pre draft, and hasn't lost the gloss with good judges. At worst top quality mid, at best superstar.
Walsh - Very impressed with poise off HB underage year. Took a while to warm to as high possession mid, but just kept rising. Potential superstar
Stocker - The diamond in the rough. Dual sided, bullish, but with a dash of pace and class. Ceiling a bit unclear, but certainly not placing lid on.
O'Brien - While not spruiked as much as some, Kellyesque is not necessarily an overstatement, tough enough to go inside, but elite outside puzzle piece
Murphy - Pressure will be off regards doing the inside grunt. 2-3 more years of quality leadership, link and distribution is the hope.
Lang - Has the skills. Has to find consistent intensity as the contest. We may be a little harsh, but the kids will quickly go past if he doesn't want it enough
Fisher - Where is the ceiling? Going to be a very valuable player, another where the ceiling is not clear. Does he belie his size to become an elite of the game
Cuningham - Yeah, let's wait and see. Projects well, is it focus or simply body issues holding him back?
Curnow - Pillar of the team. Often suffers through doing too much to cover the cracks of less defensively focussed mates.
Polson - Shown enough to persevere, will he hold a spot after some list additions? Disposal iffy despite seeming elite pre draft. Not writing off by any means
Gibbons - not signed yet, not is discussion
Cottrell - not signed yet, not in discussion
JSOS, Williamson, Owies and maybe Garlett and Pickett as outside options need some consideration when assessing midfield prospects.

It is not unreasonable to suggest we will have between four and eight "ELITE" midfielders in the very near future. Media, other club supporters
and many of our own prefer not to think so. Could easily be an UNPRECEDENTED (DEEP) midfield

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton

Murphy - star mid
Lang - jury is out
Cuningham - jury is out

Fair assessments. I see depth for us at this stage of the rebuild as having options and some quality.

This group has genuine potential and I am already convinced about Cripps Kennedy SPS Dow Setterfield O'Brien Murphy Walsh Curnow & Fisher so even then it's good depth wise

Remove this Banner Ad

Back