Analysis The D Word

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
My view. Starting mids 2019:

Cripps - Elite star. Will be even more damaging with quality support
Kennedy - inside bull who's skills and smarts are underrated.
SPS - Fitter than ever. Focussed and looks awesome. 2019 is his breakout to star status. Silk
Dow - Inside/Outside and can do it all. Good skills and some speed. Will step up quickly
Walsh - Steps straight in. Has it all including mental toughness. Does everything right
O'Brien - Elite runner with deadly left foot. Link runner who can break zones and kick goals.
Murphy - Still can play top shelf football. Will thrive on wing/fwd and be a match winner. Super focussed
Fisher - Finds it inside and outside and distributes. Quick and takes game on. Very good player
Curnow - Underrated. Played last year in pain. Can shutdown or find a lot of ball. Won't stop trying and does the team things so well.

Others:

Setterfield - All about getting fit and ready. Can do it all. Big body but great skills especially below knees. If gets a run at it will show he was a steal and better than Shiel. If fit will be in top group
Stocker - Bull with good skills each side of body. Needs to build endurance but has poise and want for contest.
Cuningham - Has the talent. Training well. Just needs a good run and to believe in himself. HB/HF option as well

Lang - Played some good football but looked hesitant in 2018. Could be a good player but needs to work harder
Polson - Smart player with good skills. Learning small forward so won't get much midfield time. If in the reserves I hope he does.
Pickett - The real X factor. If he can switch on and get AFL fit could be anything. On a wing with his pace, skills and strong core could be a star. Here's hoping

If we get Gibbons he will be more than handy and won't let anyone down

Looks like Depth to me :)

Blue and Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 29, 2018
On the glory road
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Everton
The discussion is about depth. We are moving from the shallow end towards the deep end by steadily raising the level of the bottom end players. It doesnt always mean the best players improve at the same time.
The potential performance of the team is not so much the point here as the ability to cover losses in personnel week to week.
I think and hope we will be more even next season and thats a very big positive. But realistically as many have said its still a year or two away to really see this group start to shine consistently.

Jun 6, 2007
Footscray
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sunderland,Pelicans, LA Kings
The discussion is about depth. We are moving from the shallow end towards the deep end by steadily raising the level of the bottom end players. It doesnt always mean the best players improve at the same time.
The potential performance of the team is not so much the point here as the ability to cover losses in personnel week to week.
I think and hope we will be more even next season and thats a very big positive. But realistically as many have said its still a year or two away to really see this group start to shine consistently.
Are we talking 5 feet at Oak Park baths or 10 feet at Pascoe Vale baths?

Back