Analysis The D Word

Remove this Banner Ad

Which players are not in our 2019 Consensus 22? And how do we see them?

Recap the Consensus 22 ...

Consensus 2019 Lineup
FB: Lachie Plowman - Liam Jones - Kade Simpson
HB: Tom Williamson - Jacob Weitering - Caleb Marchbank
C: Marc Murphy - Ed Curnow - Zac Fisher
HF: Mitch McGovern - Charlie Curnow - S. Petrevski-Seton
FF: Will Setterfield - Harry McKay - Alex Fasolo
R: Matthew Kreuzer - Patrick Cripps - Paddy Dow
I: Nic Newman - Matthew Kennedy - Jarrod Pickett - Sam Walsh

[EMG: Lochie O'Brien - Dale Thomas - David Cuningham - Tomas Bugg]

Who missed out? The technical depth ...

Rucks ... Lobbe. Phillips
Forward Rucks ... TDK. Casboult
Defenders ... Macreadie. Schumacher. B Silvagni. Docherty.
Midfielders ... O’Brien. Cuningham. Stocker. Lang. Polson. J Silvagni.
Forwards ... Kerr. Garlett. O’Dwyer.
Plug gaps and rookies ... Thomas. Bugg. Lebois. Owies.

Who can seamlessly step up into the 22? The quality depth ...

- If Kreuzer misses, our ruck stocks are not close on quality. I think Lobbe gets first go. I would not be surprised if we rest Kreuzer and play TDK say 3 games in 2019.

- Of the defenders, Macreadie could be ready to go in 2019. Hoping Schumacher steps up but a long way from Simpson / Docherty ...

- Midfield group benefits from playing most of the year together in the VFL. If Setterfield is not ready early in the season, then O’Brien gets first crack. Next 2 are Cuningham and Stocker. We are doing well if Lang racking up the possessions but cannot get into the Senior 22.

- Forwards, I think Garlett and J Silvagni (plays midfield in VFL) can do well in Senior 22 if called on.

I rate ... Macreadie. O’Brien. Garlett. J Silvagni.
I hope for ... Cuningham. Stocker. Schumacher. Lebois.

Which players are not in our 2019 Consensus 22? And how do we see them?

Recap the Consensus 22 ...

Consensus 2019 Lineup
FB: Lachie Plowman - Liam Jones - Kade Simpson
HB: Tom Williamson - Jacob Weitering - Caleb Marchbank
C: Marc Murphy - Ed Curnow - Zac Fisher
HF: Mitch McGovern - Charlie Curnow - S. Petrevski-Seton
FF: Will Setterfield - Harry McKay - Alex Fasolo
R: Matthew Kreuzer - Patrick Cripps - Paddy Dow
I: Nic Newman - Matthew Kennedy - Jarrod Pickett - Sam Walsh

[EMG: Lochie O'Brien - Dale Thomas - David Cuningham - Tomas Bugg]

Who missed out? The technical depth ...

Who can seamlessly step up into the 22? The quality depth ...

- If Kreuzer misses, our ruck stocks are not close on quality. I think Lobbe gets first go. I would not be surprised if we rest Kreuzer and play TDK say 3 games in 2019.

- Of the defenders, Macreadie could be ready to go in 2019. Hoping Schumacher steps up but a long way from Simpson / Docherty ...

- Midfield group benefits from playing most of the year together in the VFL. If Setterfield is not ready early in the season, then O’Brien gets first crack. Next 2 are Cuningham and Stocker. We are doing well if Lang racking up the possessions but cannot get into the Senior 22.

- Forwards, I think Garlett and J Silvagni (plays midfield in VFL) can do well in Senior 22 if called on.

I rate ... Macreadie. O’Brien. Garlett. J Silvagni.
I hope for ... Cuningham. Stocker. Schumacher. Lebois.

If this is a glimpse of our VFL team (see below), I'll be going to watch them with very keen interest.

And they'll be playing a fair brand of hard-nosed footy, all trying to elevate into the Seniors (sorry Doc).

The 3 most likely for promotion? I'll go out on a limb and back in LOB, Lobbe, and I'll lob in the "Lobbler"...I mean the "Cobbler".

Mentioned this is another thread, but i really hope that Lachie Plowman can recapture his 2016/17 form.

Last season, Plowman was plagued by injury and so empty of confidence, like he was carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders. I want to see him enjoy playing his football, and if that means playing him further up the ground so be it. Oddly enough, i could see him becoming an Armfield type defensive/chasing and tackling small foward, if the MC decided to mix things up a bit.
Can't help but feel Docherty's absence last season affected LP and his game more than any other player on our list.
I am still a big fan and believer in Lachie, one bad season does not make a summer.

I honestly think Lachie P reinventing himself and his role could be the shot in the arm that he and the team needs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

giphy.gif

Do we have enough depth? I think we have 28-30 players who can play AFL games. It's about converting youngsters and that second tier that we're developing into top tier players. Do that and we're going places. Failure to do that and we'll hover in the bottom four.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back