Analysis The D Word

NavySteel

Premiership Player
Jun 15, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Amazing how things change in 7 weeks. 7 weeks ago, I’d have thought we were as shallow as a puddle... but here we are!

It’s interesting because I don’t think we’ve fielded our 100% A-grade side since DT took over but we’re looking great.

Come next year, the selection table is going to have a headache picking the best 22 when we have so many guys knocking down the door for selection. TDK, Owies, Goddard... Even the guys who’ve been playing the past few weeks in the seniors - Lang, Kennedy, Deluca...

Not only that, but versatility across positions. Look at how SPS, Cas, Setters, Kennedy have settled in to position changes. Not only do we have personnel depth, but cross-sectional positional depth too.

This is a team with some serious wheels about it now.

Add in a Papley and other trade(s)...

Now I’m getting a headache...

are we there yet?
Charlie, Doc, Marchbank, Kreuzer, McGovern, Fisher etc. missed on the weekend and we still won.

Reckon we are close.

Our starting 22 for next season will be very interesting if everyone is available.

Probably should be merged into the list management thread. Free up some room on the server. OP will be relegated to the banals of history.

GapInIkonPark

Premiership Player
Nov 22, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Won’t take much. Look at our side and who’s missing this week. Then a few names like Owies BSOS Schumacher Macreadie start to really improve. Add another 6-8 of which 2-4 are best 22 types and we are in a great spot 👍

I see something like this too. The telling thing for me is the quality on the interchange bench and then the next 4-6 who are stiff to miss the best 22. Our BF Consensus 22 before Season 2020 will be the most intense yet.

The pressure early this year was on the 2019 fourth year’s (Weitering, Harry, Charlie, Cuningham and JSOS). Injury aside, I think that group has stepped up. So hopefully similar pressure on the 2020 fourth year’s (SPS, Fisher, Macreadie, Polson, Willa and Kerr) and they step up.

So assuming everyone is fit, the very nice D-Word problems we may well have in 2020 look something like this:

Backline - Which of Simpson, Newman, Willa, Stocker or Macreadie takes the bench spot for a defender? (Weitering, Marchbank, Plowman, Jones, Docherty and SPS).

Forward - Which of Fisher, Kennedy, JSOS or DeLuca takes the bench spot for a forward? (Harry, Charlie, Mitch, Cuningham, Gibbons, + Recruit)

Midfield - Which of Setterfield or Dow takes the bench spot for a midfielder?
(Cripps, Walsh, Murphy, Ed, LO’b, + Recruit)

Ruck - Who assumes the no.1 ruck after Kreuzer? Does Casboult play bench and rotate ruck and forward? Who plays second ruck if not Casboult? If we think neither Phillips nor Lobbe, do we delist one or both, or delist in consecutive years?

All aboard the T-Train, lively debate in the off-season, and no doubt the list will be better in 2020.

Blue and Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 29, 2018
On the glory road
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Everton
Amazing how things change in 7 weeks. 7 weeks ago, I’d have thought we were as shallow as a puddle... but here we are!

It’s interesting because I don’t think we’ve fielded our 100% A-grade side since DT took over but we’re looking great.

Come next year, the selection table is going to have a headache picking the best 22 when we have so many guys knocking down the door for selection. TDK, Owies, Goddard... Even the guys who’ve been playing the past few weeks in the seniors - Lang, Kennedy, Deluca...

Not only that, but versatility across positions. Look at how SPS, Cas, Setters, Kennedy have settled in to position changes. Not only do we have personnel depth, but cross-sectional positional depth too.

This is a team with some serious wheels about it now.

Add in a Papley and other trade(s)...

Now I’m getting a headache...
Seen some deep puddles in my time. This one is a Doctor Foster job...................

34 ******* pages and this thing still exists, sigh.

If you have read every post, commiserations, you won’t ever get that time back again.

Back