Current Murder of Daniel Morcombe

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 3, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Bring Back Roo Ruckle
* Daniel James Morcombe was abducted from the Sunshine Coast Queensland on 7 December 2003 when he was 13 years old

Eight years later, Brett Peter Cowan a former Sunshine Coast resident, was charged with Morcombe's murder. In the same month, DNA tests confirmed bones in the Glass House Mountains were Morcombe's. On 13 March 2014, Cowan was found guilty of the murder, and was sentenced to life imprisonment for indecently dealing with a child and interference with a corpse.

(mod edit)

Danni

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 11, 2000
Are you talking about the boy who went missing on the Sunshine Coast? Missed his 14th b'day by 2 weeks or the likes and has a twin brother.

If so, no to date he hasn't been found.

Ghostwriter

Cancelled
10k Posts RIP North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2009 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2008 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor
Aug 20, 2002
Petrie Motlop sponsor '03
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Re: Daniel Morecombe.....arrest made, charges laid

I've followed the case since he disappeared. Absolutely heart-breaking. His parents have been through so much; so much uncertainty and the horrible speculation about what happened to Daniel has been constant since day one. And then the recent enquiry with the parade of bottom-dwelling drug-addicted perverted freaks trying to implicate each other... I'm sad that it's confirmed that he really is dead, which we all knew, but at least it's closure. My heart really goes out to the family.

And while I'm not one for retributive justice, I hope the scum-scraping filth endures some sort of personal hell for the remainder of his days in some prison with inmates who will never let him forget that he killed a child.

Simple Jack

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 25, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Webber, Ricciardo, NE Patriots

Do we know what cracked it? 8 years is a long time for something to just turn up.

Ghostwriter

Cancelled
10k Posts RIP North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2009 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2008 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor
Aug 20, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Do we know what cracked it? 8 years is a long time for something to just turn up.

The coroners inquest would've had a bit to do with it.

The coroners inquest would've had a bit to do with it.

The accused man testified at that coroners hearing. Seems strange he has not yet been named. I can only assume that is for the sake of his own three kids.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DREAM TEAM BUFF

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Fred Medal Ex-Moderator
Feb 9, 2011
Western Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
MUFC & HRT

Daniel Morcombe

Daniel-Morcombe-420-420x0.jpg

I feel for the Morcombe family today. It must be the hardest news to hear, and also the news they wanted. I hope that with this news they can finally put their son to rest and find peace. RIP Daniel Morcombe, your life has not been lost for nothing, as is shown by your parents.

Illinois Nazi

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Jul 8, 2002
Why? You stalking me?
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Whoever's winning

And while I'm not one for retributive justice, I hope the scum-scraping filth endures some sort of personal hell for the remainder of his days in some prison with inmates who will never let him forget that he killed a child.

I had to visit a prison last week and was given a tour of the segregated unit, where the child killers and others needing protection are kept. Came face to face with a few names people would certainly know.

There seemed to be three types - genuinely scarey psychos you'd cross the road to avoid; mentally deficient psychos that you'd be a bit wary of; and very ordinary looking blokes you wouldn't give a second glance to.

On face value it looks like they don't have it too bad - basically a self-contained communal living type of arrangement. Kitchen etc, free to come and go from their cell to common area or outside to large lawn/garden area. In fact I imagine it's a pretty miserable existence. I can't imagine any of them really have much in common with each other in the way you'd want with a bunch of people you're spending the rest of your life with, and the outside area may be quite large but if it's your whole world it's pretty small.

If it's the sort of place this guy ends up for the next 20 years I can't imagine he'll enjoy it much.

Ghostwriter

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne

There seemed to be three types - genuinely scarey psychos you'd cross the road to avoid; mentally deficient psychos that you'd be a bit wary of; and very ordinary looking blokes you wouldn't give a second glance to.

Not sure what business you have touring a segregated prison enclosure but I find it hard to believe that you were able to make judgements based on appearances, did the screws line them all up for you to look at?

Illinois Nazi

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 8, 2002
Why? You stalking me?
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Whoever's winning

Not sure what business you have touring a segregated prison enclosure but I find it hard to believe that you were able to make judgements based on appearances, did the screws line them all up for you to look at?

It's a pretty superficial assessment, yes. As I said, they were free to move about the unit so it was just a matter of passing them in the corridor mainly. It was also a meal time so there was plenty of movement going on. One of the "screws" (does anyone really use that term any more?) did call a particular individual out of his cell for us (on the pretext of telling him dinner was ready) which I was a bit uncomfortable about, treating him a bit like a zoo exhibit.

But anyway, my three types as described above (and as I said, it is a pretty superficial assessment) came as follows: The first one was a guy people in WA would know the story of. Had a seriously unhinged look in his eyes, almost a cliche TV psychopath.

Second one was the "zoo exhibit" as above, who people in WA would again certainly know. You can just tell there's something not right there. Not necessarily evil, maybe, but certainly low intelligence and/or mental illness, and an impression of being dangerous due to unpredictability and maybe inability to understand their own actions.

Third was someone I knew, but maybe others wouldn't. His crime took place quite close to where I was living at the time which is why I remember him. He could be living next door to you and you wouldn't think anything of it.

As it happens those three were the first three I saw, but all the rest seemed to fall into those broad categories - mostly the second and third types. Which is a bit sad really, as for most of them things didn't need to have happened very differently and they wouldn't have been in there at all.

Worldheroxx

Team Captain
Suspended
Dec 20, 2008
south america
AFL Club
West Coast

Sounds like they have it pretty easy tbh. I thought these criminals who were too psycho or whatever for normal prison were kept in a small cell for like 23 hours a day.

If they can just come and go and wander around what's to stop them killing each other? ? They should be pretty crafty at making weapons out of anything

Simple Jack

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 25, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Webber, Ricciardo, NE Patriots

Sounds like they have it pretty easy tbh. I thought these criminals who were too psycho or whatever for normal prison were kept in a small cell for like 23 hours a day.

If they can just come and go and wander around what's to stop them killing each other? ? They should be pretty crafty at making weapons out of anything

Deaths in prison peaked at about 75 in 1997. Simple answer, nothing.

FlyingBurittoBro

Club Legend
Mar 21, 2011
Space
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
broncos

i don't know much about these kind of proceedings but surely it is going to be pretty hard to convict P7 without a body. I have this idea that most of the evidence is pretty much based upon what P7 said to one of his paedo mates in jail.

Finally! I hope/pray that the man responsible for Dan's death is miserable for the rest of his life.

If any of you posters have young kids......don't let them get public transport by them selves.

Illinois Nazi

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 8, 2002
Why? You stalking me?
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Whoever's winning

On the surface it does look pretty easy. But if you think about spending the next twenty or thirty years never going outside that environment I reckon it would be a pretty miserable life.

The prisoners in that area were the ones who are segregated for their own safety from the rest of the prison population. There is another more secure area for the ones who are kept apart for the safety of the other prisoners, which is the one where they spend 23 hours a day in their cell and have virtually no contact with anyone else.

The guy they arrested's defence to committing this crime was "i wouldnt go after a 13 yo, I only like 6,7,8 years olds". (was reported in the HS today)

Seriously what is the point of keeping these waste of space "air theives" alive. Makes me sick. :mad:

If any of you posters have young kids......don't let them get public transport by them selves.

So sad isnt it. That the bus actually drove by him and didnt stop, and by the time the next bus came past him, he had been taken by then.

Wonder what that bus driver feels like.... so many "what ifs'.

Back