Current Murder of Daniel Morcombe

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
cant understand why they just are not put down. If a dog attacks someone they are put down. If a shark kills someone its hunted and put down. Raping children is not the same kind of crime as stealing. Stealing whilst not tolerable is understandable why people do it. Sexual abuse is an unfixable sickness that can't be tolerated so why kid ourselves thinking jail will rehabilitate these people.

I suppose you have some evidence for that? Or is it just that there's not much shock value in criminals (of any type) that are successfully rehabilitated and therefore the mainstream media doesn't publishing those stories?

Perhaps read some academic studies on the issue. Something outside News Limited.

http://indigenousjustice.gov.au/briefs/brief003.pdf

Heard a movie/docco was being considered, I recall seeing some discussion on the news about it a few days back

the book was pretty good. "the sting"

Just read chapter 8. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

3.5 years for that an absolute joke.

Still great read, I like the way it's been set out so far, lots of detail. Police must tear their hair out at witness accounts being so different.

Sorry to keep crapping on about this book- am so far up to the "Mr Big" op: it's amazing how stupid this guy really is. And if he wasn't such a murdering pedophile scumbag, I'd feel sorry for him. His whole life was/is just pathetic.

What I'm a bit confused about is. a. the lack of picture of Daniel in the book and b. lack of POV from the parents side- altho I do understand this is about the police operation that brings Cowan down.

Is there a book from the parents POV? Would be interested in reading that one as well after this..

Sep 22, 2008
Moama
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Sorry to keep crapping on about this book- am so far up to the "Mr Big" op: it's amazing how stupid this guy really is. And if he wasn't such a murdering pedophile scumbag, I'd feel sorry for him. His whole life was/is just pathetic.

What I'm a bit confused about is. a. the lack of picture of Daniel in the book and b. lack of POV from the parents side- altho I do understand this is about the police operation that brings Cowan down.

Is there a book from the parents POV? Would be interested in reading that one as well after this..

Where is Daniel ? - By Bruce and Denise Morecombe

Dec 21, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea, Redbacks, Adelaide United
Finished the book. I'm going to be harsh and say it didn't live up to my expectations but that was because I have followed this case for years and pretty much already knew all the details. I guess I was surprised about how close they were to getting him at the start and how Douglas Jackway better fitted the description of the suspect at the bus stop.

cant understand why they just are not put down. If a dog attacks someone they are put down. If a shark kills someone its hunted and put down. Raping children is not the same kind of crime as stealing. Stealing whilst not tolerable is understandable why people do it. Sexual abuse is an unfixable sickness that can't be tolerated so why kid ourselves thinking jail will rehabilitate these people.

100% agree that our most serious and even repeat offenders (3 jail terms) are executed.

But I'd only want to see that happen when we have professional police and a court system that doesn't make errors. I guess that's why we don't have the death sentence.

Perhaps sterilisation is something to be considered for all jail sentences.

Finished the book. I'm going to be harsh and say it didn't live up to my expectations but that was because I have followed this case for years and pretty much already knew all the details. I guess I was surprised about how close they were to getting him at the start and how Douglas Jackway better fitted the description of the suspect at the bus stop.

Fair enough, but did you know all the detail of the actual conversations they had in the undercover op? And the background of Cowan, etc???

Anyway, I didn't- thought it was a brilliant read. The victim impact statements at the end were heart breaking. And I loved how they didn't go to sentencing. Great call- don't waste another minute on that scum.

Looking forward to reading the book by the Morcombes now for their perspective.

footy75

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton

So are u saying that the book just has the info they we have all read in papers and on seen on the different tv shows?

Dec 21, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea, Redbacks, Adelaide United
So are u saying that the book just has the info they we have all read in papers and on seen on the different tv shows?

Largely yes. Of course there is some information about the sting that was new but most the other stuff is just an extension of what was in the media.

Trip3101

Senior List
Jul 18, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
For those who read the book did they have the conversation on the plane of how this cop managed to become his friend or whatever and lure him into the gang? It's always been hard for me to imagine, assuming he flys economy all those seats bunched up together 20+ other people listening to your every word, it seems so awkward. If some middle aged guy starting aggressively trying to become my friend on a cramped 5 hour economy flight I would have my headphones on ignoring the hell out of him asap

For those who read the book did they have the conversation on the plane of how this cop managed to become his friend or whatever and lure him into the gang? It's always been hard for me to imagine, assuming he flys economy all those seats bunched up together 20+ other people listening to your every word, it seems so awkward. If some middle aged guy starting aggressively trying to become my friend on a cramped 5 hour economy flight I would have my headphones on ignoring the hell out of him asap

Yes, they have parts of conversations they have. Some of it's just "summarised" tho too.

The guys a freak- in terms of conversations he "jumps all over the place" like from topic to topic.

Trip3101

Senior List
Jul 18, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Just reading some news articles about it now I didn't realise it took them months to pull it off. Now it makes sense. For some reason I was thought this cop just sat next to him on the plane and had him signed up to their criminal gang by the time they landed in perth ha ha.

Just reading some news articles about it now I didn't realise it took them months to pull it off. Now it makes sense. For some reason I was thought this cop just sat next to him on the plane and had him signed up to their criminal gang by the time they landed in perth ha ha.

Lol I know. I think I knew it took several months (they actually repeat words like "loyalty" and "trust" over and over again to get it in his head he needs to be honest) but it was unbelievable all the "jobs" they had to pretend to do with him. They also explain briefly, the history of the technique and how sometimes the targets get let off by juries because they believe the defendant was just confessing to something either under duress or for financial gain.

IKE TURNER

Club Legend
Dec 20, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Sydney
the whole Daniel story is just shocking, we have a young boy in one of the safest countries in the world catching a bus to shops and is grabbed by a disgusting predator and never seen again we have the Morcombes who are brave salt of the earth people put through hell and the predator who is scum and committed crime after crime and was given that many chances by our court system until he murdered. I wonder if the magistrate who gave daniels killer a few years jail for raping and nearly killing a young boy in Darwin faced the morcombes what would he say to them?

the whole Daniel story is just shocking, we have a young boy in one of the safest countries in the world catching a bus to shops and is grabbed by a disgusting predator and never seen again we have the Morcombes who are brave salt of the earth people put through hell and the predator who is scum and committed crime after crime and was given that many chances by our court system until he murdered. I wonder if the magistrate who gave daniels killer a few years jail for raping and nearly killing a young boy in Darwin faced the morcombes what would he say to them?

an all too familiar story.

Well that would never happen would it. They have no accountability. Kinda like parole board officers. :rolleyes:

Back