List Mgmt. Morning, Joe! (was The Daniher (Probably Mega-)thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol:

Seriously, in what world do Essendon and Dodoro think that Daniher is worth a top 10 pick plus a pick swap in their favour? When (if rumours are correct) Brisbane are only offering him a contract that would trigger end of round 1 comp/start of 2nd round comp? Clearly that's where his value sits, and the notion that's it up to Brisbane to "satisfy" Essendon is laughable. Essendon literally have zero leverage in this situation.

I still think there's a chance they'll get band 1 for him. I don't think the AFL will want these free agency moves getting ugly.

They'll let us pay him the bare minimum to scrape into band 1

We need Daniher himself, or through his manager to say that he will not go back to Essendon and will go to the Psd or national draft if necessary to get to his preferred destination and will also refuse to be drafted by any other club.
Then The Bombers have nothing.
He is a free agent and has the right to move to the Club of his Choice.
That is what the whole system was brought in for.

I still think there's a chance they'll get band 1 for him. I don't think the AFL will want these free agency moves getting ugly.

They'll let us pay him the bare minimum to scrape into band 1

I have the Motlop scenario stashed in the back of my mind. Gold Coast wanted a first round pick for a contracted Ablett, Geelong had no way to generate one, and all of a sudden Motlop "barely" made the end of first round requirements. At the same time, Rockliff got $200k pa more and "just" missed out on getting us a top 5 pick. It struck me as weird how so many players could "barely" or "just" make or miss certain thresholds.

With Dodoro doing his usual thing, I feel we should be ‘into’ another key forward.
Then if the move to Brisbane can’t happen, and Daniher finishes up at Sydney say (where his father was a long time player) through the PSD, we haven’t put all our eggs into one basket.

I have the Motlop scenario stashed in the back of my mind. Gold Coast wanted a first round pick for a contracted Ablett, Geelong had no way to generate one, and all of a sudden Motlop "barely" made the end of first round requirements. At the same time, Rockliff got $200k pa more and "just" missed out on getting us a top 5 pick. It struck me as weird how so many players could "barely" or "just" make or miss certain thresholds.

Not sure the AFL will be willing to bend the rules for the bombers though. Could very easily still be plenty of bad blood there from the supplements saga.

Not sure the AFL will be willing to bend the rules for the bombers though. Could very easily still be plenty of bad blood there from the supplements saga.

The AFLPA will kick up a stink though. Free agency was meant to help players easily move clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFLPA will kick up a stink though. Free agency was meant to help players easily move clubs.

Next CBA is going to have to have a revision of FA.

Personally, I'd open up FA to all players with 5-6 years service, introduce longer draftee contracts and make compensation picks commence from the end of the second round to bring it more into line with world sports. Only 26,27 year olds being eligible for FA does bias it towards the better clubs as they are at the latter part of their career and have often already made serious money. If 24,25 year olds were eligible I think you'd see a lot more movement.

Also, get rid of restricted free agency - it is a pointless distinction. The benefit you get is the compo pick (which should be later) and the freed up cap space.

We should make a late play for Cameron. If only to pressure Essendon into playing ball with us, or risk losing Daniher for nothing.

One of the problems with the suggestion that we should just pay Daniher an extra $x to get band 1 is that we won't know the value of $x. People seem to think you call the AFL and they tell you how much it will take to get band 1 compo. They will not do that by design, because they want to prevent clubs from gaming the compo system. The club has to offer what they think the player is worth, full stop. They can have a guess about what will be band 1 compo, but the AFL won't help them with that guess, and if it turns out to still be band 2, then we will be stuck with the contract we offer.
Look, you can try applying obvious logic to a situation, but then you'd need to leave the site.

Besides, there's a clear solution to this Blackers. If we aren't sure whether our offer would generate Band 1 compensation, we should just increase it. After all, it's only salary cap, and that way we don't have to trade. Our offer is reportedly $600k. Some think that $750k might get there, but based on recent contracts, I'd say that's a 50/50 gamble, and would need the AFL's secret herbs and spices to work in our favour (and unfortunately, there's no G Ablett involved in this). So we can just increase it again, just to suit Essendon. Remember - we're apparently getting benefits out of this too... and the AFL have never punitively punished teams for gaming the system, have they? And the AFL would absolutely need to provide proof, and not just declare punishments without any evidence... Anyway, where was I... $850k would probably get there, but still, it's probably 70/30. $950k is pretty likely, definitely in the right area... I'd call that 90/10. But we can't risk this, when all we're losing is a little bit of cap space... And only then if his body is particularly shot, otherwise we should just think of it as an investment in not-dealing-with-dodoro, and puts us in our correct place as Big-Vic-Club-feeder-team. I think that the only logical, rational solution is for us to offer Joe $1.1m over 5 years, with no incentive clauses. All guaranteed. I think if that happened, we could be confident that Essendon would get band 1, and after all, that's the main reason for our interest in Joe...

With all the fuss over Jeremy Cameron choosing Geelong, Brisbane is now considered (mostly by Essendon supporters) to be a powerhouse team that should not have easy access to free agents. Revisionist history!

One of the problems with the suggestion that we should just pay Daniher an extra $x to get band 1 is that we won't know the value of $x. People seem to think you call the AFL and they tell you how much it will take to get band 1 compo. They will not do that by design, because they want to prevent clubs from gaming the compo system. The club has to offer what they think the player is worth, full stop. They can have a guess about what will be band 1 compo, but the AFL won't help them with that guess, and if it turns out to still be band 2, then we will be stuck with the contract we offer.
I think it's pretty obvious that a Zac Williams-level per year salary will create Band 1 compensation.

As to our ability to offer that sum, does anyone know how much Marcus Adams is on, to see whether replacing him with a cheaper player will free up enough cash?

Essendon should just accept the pick 20 they get from Daniher and on trade that for Ben Brown. Move on Essendon.

does anyone know how much Marcus Adams is on, to see whether replacing him with a cheaper player will free up enough cash?
He still has 2 years on his contract, would there be any takers for him?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back