List Mgmt. Morning, Joe! (was The Daniher (Probably Mega-)thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Ben Brown is potentially going to Melbourne for an early 20s pick. Jessie Hogan is being shopped around for a late first rd pick with no takers. Jon Patton went to the Hawks last year for a 3rd rd pick from memory. Essendon fans should come back to reality. Joe is worth a late 1st rd pick... the contract on offer by us supports this.

If I was Brisbane I'd just tell Essendon to either accept the end of 1st rd compo pick and use that during trade period to help get a player in or accept whatever pick we have left to offer at the end of trade period (maybe pick 19 or 20 if we haven't used it by then) and miss out on the opportunity to use it to help you get player in.
Ben Brown - 3 years 60+ goals kicked.
Joe Daniher - 1 year 60 + goals kicked, 4 yrs ago.

Hopefully Noble has a better vision for the club than the supporter group, if this forum is indicative.
Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth.
You finish a close and competitive 4th with a young team and key forwards who aren't getting the job done.
Into your lap falls the once in a lifetime opportunity to get a talent like Daniher, 26yo, and seemingly fully recovered from injuries that have hampered him for 3yrs.
And, best of all, you can have him for nothing. Zilch. A free agent.
The only hitch to this fairy tale opportunity is if you can't get past the "restricted" bit of the RFA.
All you need to do is to "risk" a bit of incentive salary by guaranteeing it, or if you are really conservative, giving him a higher guaranteed salary for a lesser term.
But no, you're worried about the gift horse's teeth.
He's free!!! Do you understand the meaning of the word?
No one is asking you to give up a raft of draft picks, and, anyway, all you have is picks that will be in the 20s, which, if you are really lucky, might get you a couple of fairly good half back flankers after a few years' development. Have you had a look at who you might draft this year with those picks?
It's Daniher for god's sake. You've got nothing like him. He's fit. He's keen.
Holy moley. Is it that hard to see?

I can even feel your fellow Essendon supporters cringing at this point.

It’s really embarrassing now man. Have some self-respect.

Yes we do. In the world of free agency it means not bound by a contract. It has nothing to do with cost, price or value. Something you don't seem to comprehend.

Hope we trade our 16 and 17 to Carlton for 7, to help with their Saad deal.

Then let Dodo decide whether to take compo or a second + fringe player.

As a previous poster has said, IF this trade was to eventuate (pick swap with Carlton), it would be smart for Brisbane to table the free agent offer after the trade period begins and the trade with Carlton had been executed. This would effectively put Dodoro and Essendon in the proposed predicament.

Not sure Carlton would do it like that though, as it would piss Essendon right off and add extra venom during Saad negotiations.

Hopefully Noble has a better vision for the club than the supporter group, if this forum is indicative.
You finish a close and competitive 4th with a young team and key forwards who aren't getting the job done.
Into your lap falls the once in a lifetime opportunity to get a talent like Daniher, 26yo, and seemingly fully recovered from injuries that have hampered him for 3yrs.
The only hitch to this fairy tale opportunity is if you can't get past the "restricted" bit of the RFA.
All you need to do is to "risk" a bit of incentive salary by guaranteeing it, or if you are really conservative, giving him a higher guaranteed salary for a lesser term.
No one is asking you to give up a raft of draft picks, and, anyway, all you have is picks that will be in the 20s, which, if you are really lucky, might get you a couple of fairly good half back flankers after a few years' development. Have you had a look at who you might draft this year with those picks?

Are you still here?

As a previous poster has said, IF this trade was to eventuate (pick swap with Carlton), it would be smart for Brisbane to table the free agent offer after the trade period begins and the trade with Carlton had been executed. This would effectively put Dodoro and Essendon in the proposed predicament.

Not sure Carlton would do it like that though, as it would piss Essendon right off and add extra venom during Saad negotiations.

I see what you're saying but Daniher has been trying to leave 2 years in a row now. If anything Bombers should do an amicable deal considering his family history with the club and let it go. They can't win all the deals out there.

Saad is not going to get them pick 7 either. Carlton will be happy to trade as they're staying in first round while getting the player at the right price.

Ben Brown is potentially going to Melbourne for an early 20s pick. Jessie Hogan is being shopped around for a late first rd pick with no takers. Jon Patton went to the Hawks last year for a 3rd rd pick from memory. Essendon fans should come back to reality. Joe is worth a late 1st rd pick... the contract on offer by us supports this.

If I was Brisbane I'd just tell Essendon to either accept the end of 1st rd compo pick and use that during trade period to help get a player in or accept whatever pick we have left to offer at the end of trade period (maybe pick 19 or 20 if we haven't used it by then) and miss out on the opportunity to use it to help you get player in.

Yep and to reinforce that I’d be trading our two first rounders for a gun mid (assuming we can pry one loose) before lodging the free agency paperwork for Daniher.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Crikey . This thread is doing my head in.

Daniher wants to come to us ,we want him, he doesn't want to play at Essendon anymore, he doesn't have a contract , no one else has shown any interest.

It doesn't really matter what anyone thinks he's worth, the deal will have to get done otherwise Essendon's reputation will be shredded more than it already is . Worsfold this year looked like he couldn't care less , doesn't everyone remember the words 'I don't know when Joe is going to play maybe I'll turn around one day and he'll be in the side that week'. Something along those lines. Hardly encouraging about what Essendon thought of Joe.

I suppose it's always possible they could shred their reputation a bit more . They've done a good job of it the last decade.

You sound like a used car salesmen. Top of the line, 100% healthy 2nd hand key forward with no strings attached. All you have to do is sign on the dotted line and pay the large but fair one time fee.

Trying to sell us a beat up old BMW for the price of a new one. And wanting us to trade in a recent model Camry to clinch the deal

If we're worried about his mental health, Brisbane making him a big contract offer but then not being prepared to back that up with an offer greater than a pick in the 20's wouldn't do him the world of good either.
You know, I've seen some dumb things posted on BF in my time, but this is right up there with them. That pick in the 20s would be what the AFL themselves think he is worth based on the contract he is going to sign. And that's supposed to hurt his mental health?

You know, I've seen some dumb things posted on BF in my time, but this is right up there with them. That pick in the 20s would be what the AFL themselves think he is worth based on the contract he is going to sign. And that's supposed to hurt his mental health?

Buddy must have been absolutely mentally destroyed after Hawthorn only got pick 18 for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Someone posted it on the Adam Saad trade thread. Looks like for Stringer trade the dogs asked for Pick 11, Dodoro traded 11 to GWS for Smith and 25. Then they got Stringer for 25 and 30.

I'd say Daniher's value lies somewhere there. Two picks in second round - they can take our current second and future second, along with a fringe player. Mathieson might love to join Parish, who knows.

Either take this trade offer or be happy with end of first round compo.

Well it's lame because it undervalues him by a long way.
The salary offer reflects what you think he is worth. A reported $3m guaranteed over 5yrs plus, as bungalow_bill said above, "plenty of incentives to earn more", indicates you think he is worth a bit more than a pick in the mid 20s. There is a reason that the AFL standard contract for players taken in the 20s is a trifle less than $600k per yr plus incentives, and that is they don't think players taken in the 20s are worth that much.
It reflects what you think you can get away with, not what you think he is worth.
And good luck to you. It's all market forces, not fairness, and we would probably do the same.
But I wouldn't put your house on the chances of Dodoro accepting end of 1st round compo.
And good luck to him. I support him doing all he can to maximise the return, and if that risks losing a pick around mid 20s (the compo pick), I don't mind at all.

A deal with a heavy incentive is appropriate for a player with an average of 5 games a season over three years - Its hedging. Yes we want him, but we need him healthy. If he can't make it back we have invested and lost money, but not sold the farm. If he makes it back, he earns an appropriate amount of money.

It's not 'what we can get away with', its a sound decision based on the ongoing health of our list and our club. And your club will make decisions based on their best interests.

Having seen dysfunction up close in our own club I know that treating players that want to leave with respect and cutting them loose has actually improved club culture, and performances have improved. Keep a player that wants out for the second year in a row won't do you any favours. Imagine wanting to change jobs and being forced to stay for not one, but two years, and then be expected to put your heart and soul into the job. Not going to happen. Just make you bitter and resentful and all it takes is one resentful, bitter employee to create division and diminish performance.

Seemingly fully recovered. Says it all.

Couldn't Joe just wait until after the first list lodgement and de-list himself, where we could then take him as a delisted free agent? Wouldn't need to go to the draft at all. Or have I got this wrong somewhere

Couldn't Joe just wait until after the first list lodgement and de-list himself, where we could then take him as a delisted free agent? Wouldn't need to go to the draft at all. Or have I got this wrong somewhere
A player can only be eligible to be a delisted free agent if they weren't offered a contract from their previous club. Essendon have already tabled him an offer, so if a trade didn't eventuate he would have to nominate for the draft.

I think only the club can delist. He can opt not to play for the Bombers but would then have to go into the draft and take his chances.

You really are unbelievable...
A few posts back you said you were fine to lose him for nothing. Fast forward a few posts and it’s our ‘once in a lifetime opportunity?’

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

They're not incompatible at all.
He is definitely a once in a lifetime opportunity. For Brisbane. Not for us, as he is definitely not going to play for us again.
I am only happy to lose him for "nothing" if it is a consequence of trying to get "something". If the best alternative on offer is an end round 1 compo pick or one of Brisbane's late firsts, "nothing" isn't so bad. It's worth the risk.

They're not incompatible at all.
He is definitely a once in a lifetime opportunity. For Brisbane. Not for us, as he is definitely not going to play for us again.
I am only happy to lose him for "nothing" if it is a consequence of trying to get "something". If the best alternative on offer is an end round 1 compo pick or one of Brisbane's late firsts, "nothing" isn't so bad. It's worth the risk.

Tell us more how we get Daniher “free” by paying him more money.

Don’t actually though. It’s an utterly asinine economic argument.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back