Movie The Dark Tower

Remove this Banner Ad

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Filming has finished on a movie adaptation of Stephen King's eight-book magnum opus The Dark Tower, a post-post-apocalyptic western fantasy science fiction horror series (it's very unique.)

Idris Elba will be playing the main character Roland Deschain aka the Gunslinger and Matthew McConaughey will be playing a villain. Everyone else seems like a no-name actor. There must be sequels planned; it's a long story.

August 17th 2017 Australian release date

the-dark-tower.jpg

Idrisbar.jpg

Last edited:

Off to a poor start with the casting of Roland. Given it's scope a TV series would have been better, but will see how it goes. First 4 books are great, until King injects himself into the series as a character, then it wanders off the track for large parts.

Original plans were 3 movies and a TV series to last a few seasons, That was back when Warner had the rights like 5 years ago. and the movies were going to be like 2-3 years apart.

What's wrong with him? You might want to put your last sentence in a spoiler tag.
As an actor nothing, but
one of the major character interactions running throughout is Susannah coming from the time of the Black Civil rights, with her split personality, with Detta wanting to kill the 'honky' white Roland. Until part of the merge being the realisation that yes, Roland is a white dude, but all he sees is she has the heart of a Gunslinger, not that she's black (or Eddie a complete drug addled dick). It's a major character development arc that's now going to have to diverge completely from the books

As an actor nothing, but
one of the major character interactions running throughout is Susannah coming from the time of the Black Civil rights, with her split personality, with Detta wanting to kill the 'honky' white Roland. Until part of the merge being the realisation that yes, Roland is a white dude, but all he sees is she has the heart of a Gunslinger, not that she's black (or Eddie a complete drug addled dick). It's a major character development arc that's now going to have to diverge completely from the books

Haha, had forgotten about that. Good observation.

I'm not sure it needs to go in spoilers but hopefully they decide to change the very ending- ie the Dark Tower reveal. One of the lamest endings to a series I've ever read.

There will be substantial changes for the movies if they get past book 4. A lot after that was not good and the ending was abysmal. No way that ending happens on the big screen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't believe this is finally happening. Elba was a shock initially but I'm warming to it. What accent will he have??

A lot of no name actors being cast which could be a good thing but one that hasn't been mentioned yet is Jackie Earle Hayley as Richard Sayre.

I read somewhere that they won't actually be starting from 'the beginning' and the characters that are being cast back that up. Will be interesting to see which parts of the story they actually include in the first movie.

dark-tower-elbaosp-01.jpg

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/fir...ures-feature-idris-elba-as-the-gunslinger-559

As an actor nothing, but

And another thing:

Roland was a reflection of Stephen King himself, a 'twinner' if you will. When the two meet in person, Eddie notes how similar they appear standing in the same room. It might not be a sub plot they'll explore and as King is obviously happy with the casting it's probably not relevant.

And another thing:

Roland was a reflection of Stephen King himself, a 'twinner' if you will. When the two meet in person, Eddie notes how similar they appear standing in the same room. It might not be a sub plot they'll explore and as King is obviously happy with the casting it's probably not relevant.

I thought he was more of a mild rip off of Clint Eastwood.

If I was making this movie I'd ditch that entire Stephen King is a character thing and the running around Maine part.

I thought he was more of a mild rip off of Clint Eastwood.

If I was making this movie I'd ditch that entire Stephen King is a character thing and the running around Maine part.

Yes, a bit of rip off of Eastwood, particularly in the beginning of the series. In fact King drew a lot of inspiration from The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly when he first saw it in the cinema. But as the series progressed Roland grew into something of a reflection of King himself.

If they had included the Stephen King character I thought maybe his son Joe Hill could play him but yeah would be best to leave that aspect alone.
Wolves of the Calla was good but had a lot of waffle and an end battle that was... absurd, like reading fan fiction off an obscure website.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back