Movie The Dark Tower

Remove this Banner Ad

What's happening with The Stand, are they making that into a film as well?

http://www.slashfilm.com/the-stand-movie-delayed/

Interesting that McConaughy was rumoured to be involved in this too, if/when it ever happens.

Stephen King Cinematic Universe ;)

Want to read The Stand, it has good reviews. To be honest
I've deliberately not read any Stephen King after the shithouse ending of this series.

I thought it was perfect.

giphy.gif

http://www.channel24.co.za/Movies/N...r-which-is-being-filmed-in-cape-town-20160519

In the podcast the pair give some small details about the story.

King says the film will start where the books start: "The man in Black fled across the Desert, and the Gunslinger followed."

However, it will not adapt the plot of the first book, but will start somewhere in the middle.

"It starts sort of in medias res, in the middle of the story instead of at the beginning, which may upset some of the fans a little bit. But they will get behind it, because it is the story," says King.

Arcel is mum about which books he will include in his movie but gave this clue.

"A lot of it takes place in our modern day world, if you think about it, it veers between mid-world and modern day earth," says Arcel.

He also said they're still holding onto the idea of potentially doing a tv series after the film depending on how popular it is.

How would you have ended it then? Sunshine and rainbows for everyone?

Something that makes sense within the story's world(s)? Not "lol readers have too many expectations, so here's some completely dumb s**t that would make every single character in this series scratch their heads if they witnessed it, I already know you think this is moronic but don't send me hatemail!"

How would you have ended it then? Sunshine and rainbows for everyone?

No. But it being a re-enactment of his life is entering "it was all a dream" level of weak story-telling. Rarely have I finished a book, let alone an eight book series, thinking 'jeebus this is stupid'. Not wrong, not disappointing as a favourite antagonist is vanquished, but just silly.

The Gunslinger is my favourite of the whole series and they're not adapting it. Terrific. And they're cheating by including the iconic intro as well.
Really? I think one of the things that stopped it being as popular as it might have been was the first book. It was almost like you had to get through that before the story really took off.

Want to read The Stand, it has good reviews.

You should, IMO his best book.

If you can try and get your hands on the 1400 page "directors cut" version that includes a sizeable section that publishers had to cut in order to reduce the book to a length that could be physically printed & bound.

Never understood why people would rather wait for a movie / TV version of a great book, they are NEVER as good, particularly people who enjoy reading books.

As for the ending of DT, I have grown to kinda like it. Have read through the series twice (Book 4 is my favourite) and whilst I was initially disappointed with the ending, it made much more sense the second time around, albeit it was about 10 years ago.

As for him interjecting himself into the story from Book 5 onwards, there is no excuse for that kind of self indulgence and narcissism. Served no purpose and actually made the story from that point onwards less immersive. A truly bizarre decision.

Yeah +1 for must read The Stand. Have read it twice before. Purchased the whole Dark Tower series a while back & got half way through the first book. Then got hold of the 1400 page directors cut mentioned above so started reading The Stand again lol

There is a trailer coming soon.

and currently a leaked version of the trailer with most of the VFX still missing going around looks great.

and has a date of Feb 17th 2017. dont know if they had given a release date before.

i also have the directors edition of the stand... the start is great but i couldn't get past (and correct me if i'm wrong about the details) the 80 page conversation between one character and her mother. too much.

having read the first 3 and 1 or two others of the dark tower... wondering what they will do with blaine the mono... lol.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really? I think one of the things that stopped it being as popular as it might have been was the first book. It was almost like you had to get through that before the story really took off.
I just finished the 1st Book have always meant to read the series but have never got around to it, to be honest didn't really like it at all until probably the last 1/4 of the book.

Is it worth reading the rest of the series or is it similar to the 1st if it's the latter I won't bother, have read a lot of the King's other books and have enjoyed them just found this a real slog and not really enjoyable at all??

Have you got a link for this?

Looks like it was taken down, cant find it in my Youtube history.

First footage will be released at the end of the month, but first trailer [sounds like the one i saw] will be December.

I just finished the 1st Book have always meant to read the series but have never got around to it, to be honest didn't really like it at all until probably the last 1/4 of the book.

Is it worth reading the rest of the series or is it similar to the 1st if it's the latter I won't bother, have read a lot of the King's other books and have enjoyed them just found this a real slog and not really enjoyable at all??
As I said I found it really took off after the first book. I would say keep going but I'm a bit biased having read it all 3 times.

It didn't grab me either but I persisted. 2nd was better but not great and then started becoming awesome in the 3rd.

I'm trusting my memory but jeez I read those first few books as a teenager over 20 years ago now!

The 2nd book is where the series starts to get its appeal. 3rd and 4th are pretty good as well. After that, well, try the 2nd book and then after that make your own judgement.

Release date postponed to July 28th (US), apparently to help post-production and flog it as a summer blockbuster.

Sony Pictures has changed the official release date for The Dark Tower – the long-awaited film adaptation of Stephen King’s fantasy/western novel series – once already, bumping it from January to February of 2017. The movie is being pushed back a few months further now, in order to allot Dark Tower director Nikolaj Arcel (A Royal Affair) enough time to finish post-production on the $60 million project, without having to rush things in order to meet its previous February launch date.

Where, exactly, The Dark Tower would be moved to was the question, as Sony already has a rather full plate in 2017 – as far as theatrical releases go. It’s not surprising, then, that the studio has now announced new release dates for not only Dark Tower, but a handful of additional buzzed-about Sony movies that are coming out next year; among them, the Dwayne Johnson-headlined Jumanji quasi-sequel/soft reboot.

The Dark Tower is now arriving on Jumanji‘s old July 28th, 2017 theatrical release date – with the latter having now shifted back to December 22nd, 2017 instead. Between its A-list headliners (Idris Elba, Matthew McConaughey) and a built-in fanbase thanks to its source material, The Dark Tower reads as being a worthy fit for the more competitive summer movie season. The film will no doubt be further aided by having additional time to refine its visual effects and editing too.

http://screenrant.com/dark-tower-jumanji-equalizer-2-release-dates/

Not a surprise since its now November and all that has been seen was a half finished leaked trailer that still needed alot of VFX. like only 20% of the VFX was done in the trailer. and would of struggled to be finished by Mid Feb. with all the marketing and other s**t it also needs.

Give it more time and let them reshoot things that wont work to make it as good as it can be.

Off to a poor start with the casting of Roland. Given it's scope a TV series would have been better, but will see how it goes. First 4 books are great, until King injects himself into the series as a character, then it wanders off the track for large parts.
Omg I couldn't agree more. For most of it the most epic fantasy of all time, then King gets disgustingly self indulgent and it just crashes. I ******* hated the last book top. So disappointing, and the ending blew

Remove this Banner Ad

Back