Consumer Electronics The Dash Cam Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder if the police make stuff up. They attributed that death to very excessive speed. But today this report with similar results is blamed on a microsleep.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/c...lled-man-in-anakie-crash-20170111-gtpr3n.html
Why can't it be both?

They can work out speeds and such quite accurately from crash scenes.

Pure speculation with no access to the facts: The first one occurred on a road that is a 70 zone and the speed was estimated at a minimum 130 (probably from tyre marks) - excessive speed. The second one looks like a more rural area, so possibly a 110 zone in which case a car going 110 02 120 isn't excessive speed. If they're saying he fell asleep, then I'd bet there were no skid marks at all.

Why can't it be both?

They can work out speeds and such quite accurately from crash scenes.

Pure speculation with no access to the facts: The first one occurred on a road that is a 70 zone and the speed was estimated at a minimum 130 (probably from tyre marks) - excessive speed. The second one looks like a more rural area, so possibly a 110 zone in which case a car going 110 02 120 isn't excessive speed. If they're saying he fell asleep, then I'd bet there were no skid marks at all.

Exactly. It's just speculation. The video report said the girl's car clipped the curb. If she was doing 85 and had a microsleep or was looking at her phone - then clipped the curb and slammed into the tree sideways there would be no skidmarks and the car would be ripped apart like we see in the photo. If she was doing 85 and paying attention she would have been fine. But the police jump to a conclusion that it was all down to speed and nek minut the politicians are on their soapboxes.

The second incident, I know the road. It's a 100 zone but it has some fairly steep inclines and tightish bends. If you set your cruise to 100 or 110 and not pay attention it can catch you out. Alternative explanations are brake failure or suicide. But again the police have jumped to a conclusion and start making statements as though their speculation is fact.

I'll be getting two this year, a really good one for the car that does the longer trips and an el cheapo for the car that does the 15 min runs to work.
People keep cutting blind corners on my work route, at lease in some instances a foot over the middle double white lines, they do it because traffic coming the other way can cut their corner, so you could basically both cut the corners and be fine
Thing is i cut my left one day going to work and theres two men in lycra thinking they were Lance Armstrong riding their bikes.....refusing to use the 5 million $$$ bike lane parallel to the ******* road everyone is paying for to keep cyclists safe on these country roads.

Told a guy about this at work who is a local and a cyclist and his response was that he won't use the bike tack either as trees crop s**t all over it

Ffs.

Came around a corner on chain of ponds road (sa posters will know it), blind 60kmh corner and theres two Cyclsts riding side by side taking up half the lane, luckily nothing was coming the OP direction and I managed to get around them, if there was something coming i wouldve cleaned them up.

I'm buying a dash cam

I don't get the bike hate. Simply slow down if you have troubles driving.

If there is a blind corner, then be ready for the fact something could be there, like a cyclist or broken down truck.

It's pretty simple. They think they're cars yet go much slower than cars. It's the same as the hate for slow drivers.

We had a good system on the mine site I used to work. You give way to anything bigger than you. Unfortunately it's the opposite on the roads.

I'm right up there with being an assertive driver and rarely drive within the speed limit.

But I accept the road is not mine and more than happy to share. After all, passing a bike is hardly difficult.

Last edited:
It's pretty simple. They think they're cars yet go much slower than cars. It's the same as the hate for slow drivers.

We had a good system on the mine site I used to work. You give way to anything bigger than you. Unfortunately it's the opposite on the roads.

Because it's safer for them to be more visible where else should they ride, in the gutter? Just take a deep breath and relax, being stuck behind a cyclist because you are too impatient you can't spare 30 seconds is safer for both.

followed a cyclist for about 10minutes the other day because I couldn't go around him with the 2nd lane being full of moving traffic. Traffic had banked up behind me and they were having a go at me ffs. All the bloke had to do is have the decency to go onto the footpath but he held everyone up with his cycling ego.

Because it's safer for them to be more visible where else should they ride, in the gutter?
In their taxpayer funded special bike lanes or cycle paths, single file so people driving cars can get past them safely.

Just take a deep breath and relax, being stuck behind a cyclist because you are too impatient you can't spare 30 seconds is safer for both.
I'm very relaxed. Just helping someone out who said they can't understand the bike hate.

Don't need indicators don't need mirrors and can take up half a lane doing side by side at 10kms an hr refusing to move over to the side line and ride single file because of sticks near the edge....if that was a car there would be an uproar
Had a guy swerve in front of my car once to avoid riding through a puddle. Some of them seem to honestly think they're the only ones on the road and unfortunately they give all cyclists a bad name.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It can be during peak hour on Canning Highway for example.

Place your wheels over the dotted line and guard your space.

Then pass and return to your lane.

This manoeuvre helps those behind you see the cyclist.

Place your wheels over the dotted line and guard your space.

Then pass and return to your lane.

This manoeuvre helps those behind you see the cyclist.
I don't think you're following what I'm saying. It doesn't take long for people to realise what's going on when traffic has slowed to 25-30k/h. There is a lot of traffic during peak hour and once they do realise it's even harder to get around if you're right behind them as everyone behind you is peeling off to get around as well, but this is off topic anyway.

Hate that bullshit people say about 'bad cyclists giving all them a bad name'

get stuffed - since when do you collectively put all drivers in the dickhead category when you come across a bad driver? Oh that's right, you don't -

just because you choose an inefficient form of transport (i.e, car during peak hour) doesn't mean you should take it out on others

Exactly. It's just speculation. The video report said the girl's car clipped the curb. If she was doing 85 and had a microsleep or was looking at her phone - then clipped the curb and slammed into the tree sideways there would be no skidmarks and the car would be ripped apart like we see in the photo. If she was doing 85 and paying attention she would have been fine. But the police jump to a conclusion that it was all down to speed and nek minut the politicians are on their soapboxes.

The second incident, I know the road. It's a 100 zone but it has some fairly steep inclines and tightish bends. If you set your cruise to 100 or 110 and not pay attention it can catch you out. Alternative explanations are brake failure or suicide. But again the police have jumped to a conclusion and start making statements as though their speculation is fact.
Err, no. The speculation was purely mine. I actually trust expert police crash investigators to be able to make judgements on what caused a crash. I'm not at all sure why you think they just make it up, or why you're so angry about it.

Err, no. The speculation was purely mine. I actually trust expert police crash investigators to be able to make judgements on what caused a crash. I'm not at all sure why you think they just make it up, or why you're so angry about it.

No, the police are clearly speculating in both these cases. They have expertise but they're not in possession of all the facts. How can they tell the difference between micro-sleep, suicide, drug overdose, heart attack or brake failure? They don't have a toxicology report, a report of the victim's mental state or a detailed mechanical examination of the car.

It's the coroner's job to determine the cause of death and it serves no purpose for the police to make an ill informed guess in the immediate aftermath of the accident.

No, the police are clearly speculating in both these cases. They have expertise but they're not in possession of all the facts. How can they tell the difference between micro-sleep, suicide, drug overdose, heart attack or brake failure? They don't have a toxicology report, a report of the victim's mental state or a detailed mechanical examination of the car.

It's the coroner's job to determine the cause of death and it serves no purpose for the police to make an ill informed guess in the immediate aftermath of the accident.
Whatevs. Clearly a crash investigator ran off with your girlfriend or something.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back