Current The death of Ann Marie Smith in care a major crime

Remove this Banner Ad

The carer of a disabled Adelaide woman who died in “disgusting and degrading” conditions has been sacked, her death is now considered a major crime.

When Anne Marie was admitted to hospital, a doctor on noting her condition contacted police. She later died from septic shock, multiple organ failures from severe pressure sores and malnourishment.

“Ann was living her days and sleeping at night in the same woven-comb chair in her lounge room for over a year,” Detective Superintendent Des Bray said.

“That chair became her toilet, and there was no fridge and investigators were unable to locate any nutritional food in the house.

“We have to make sure something like this never happens again.”

Integrity Care said it had appointed an independent expert to review each of the NDIS participants in its care, including those looked after by the carer.

I don't know how she could have been overlooked for so long, essentially she was tortured to death.

How can this happen in this day and age!? :rage: I'm just shocked and angry.

quite simple really the system allows for dodger operators and for people to fall through the cracks and there is a fair chance the carer wasn't qualified or committed to their profession

It's actually quite terrifying what was behind that door of a house with a well kept facade, lovely garden, shiny new looking roof with heaps of kerb appeal. Someone was sitting there stuck to a cane chair they hadn't moved from in over twelve months and slowly dying. Nobody noticed!

It's actually quite terrifying what was behind that door of a house with a well kept facade, lovely garden, shiny new looking roof with heaps of kerb appeal. Someone was sitting there stuck to a cane chair they hadn't moved from in over twelve months and slowly dying. Nobody noticed!
maybe they noticed but didn't care

guess we will have a better idea of how this was able to happen after the investigation, because i'v racked my brain, and it doesn't add up.
for one, if i'v heard and understood all reported, to date, ms.smith required all round, in home care, which i'm sure wouldn't be left in the hands of a sole carer as they'd have had no rostered time off.
i'v wondered whether an office/clerical error might have been made (?) such as the client being accidentally omitted from a duties list and that omission not picked up on.

my own mum had begun to receive a fortnightly cleaning service provided by integrity whilst residing in anglicare independent housing, where she'd lived happily for several years.
when her health began to decline, i moved her to my place where i provide her care myself, but since that time it has been necessary to have occasional services from various agencies, so i know from first hand experience that clerical errors do sometimes happen ... eg. a carer rolls up on the wrong day, or at some ungodly hour, or to the wrong address ; one time not rolling up following an omission on the carer's duty list, another time having a carer arrive after i'd suspended services during the recent lockdown ... in our case, it's been nothing more serious than inconvenience and disruption to routine.
if ms.smith's circumstance was due to a clerical issue, you can bet your boots it'll be blamed on computer error.
imho

This poor woman was treated like garbage, they racked up fines using her car and took out loans in her name.

general crime?
what happened to the dedicated thread?
ms.smith's case has really taken on new dimensions,hasn't it? yet i'm STILL totally unable to fathom how any, if not all, of these events were able to occur? i mean how does a person requiring the provision of such a level of care become so overlooked?
the system must have an aspect of "set and forget"
which has clearly been one of its biggest failures.

who can you trust?

imho

The carer of a disabled Adelaide woman who died in “disgusting and degrading” conditions has been sacked, her death is now considered a major crime.

When Anne Marie was admitted to hospital, a doctor on noting her condition contacted police. She later died from septic shock, multiple organ failures from severe pressure sores and malnourishment.

“Ann was living her days and sleeping at night in the same woven-comb chair in her lounge room for over a year,” Detective Superintendent Des Bray said.

“That chair became her toilet, and there was no fridge and investigators were unable to locate any nutritional food in the house.

just horrible

we all have to meet our end but everyone deserves dignity and better treatment than this

just horrible

we all have to meet our end but everyone deserves dignity and better treatment than this

It looks like there was more than one or two people involved in exploiting this woman and not one in her life that noticed. How many more could there be?

general crime?
what happened to the dedicated thread?
ms.smith's case has really taken on new dimensions,hasn't it? yet i'm STILL totally unable to fathom how any, if not all, of these events were able to occur? i mean how does a person requiring the provision of such a level of care become so overlooked?
the system must have an aspect of "set and forget"
which has clearly been one of its biggest failures.

who can you trust?

imho

NDIS has many failings and anyone who can't use a computer and can't manage their own care is at risk of falling through the NDIS cracks

The state based DSC should have been kept and just provided better funding. The key difference in approach is an "outcomes based" vs service approach. Take an example of a disabled mother with a mentally handicapped child, who escapes the home via a side gate. DSC would provide a lock for the gate where NDIS would seek a security guard.

Further DSC would come around and do a full assessment post a life changing accident leading to disability. They would assess the homes infrastructure of steps, doorway widths, the shower, family support and co-ordinate all available government services. NDIS you get the internet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a start.

How did the system in this case National Disability Insurance Scheme let this Ann Marie Smith down, you would think there would be check and balances and supervisors doing inspections?

I hope the justice system gives Rosemary Maione some serious Jail time.

There also needs an enquiry into how the NDIS let Ann down so badly as well in my opinion.

How did the system in this case National Disability Insurance Scheme let this Ann Marie Smith down, you would think there would be check and balances and supervisors doing inspections?

I hope the justice system gives Rosemary Maione some serious Jail time.

There also needs an enquiry into how the NDIS let Ann down so badly as well in my opinion.

sadly the NDIS is a very cruel version of the support services that preceded it. If you are literate, know what services are available and eligible for, have a computer, know your rights etc; the NDIS is great.

but if you need assistance, then you're stuffed. Kinda perverse given this is supposed to be a service for those who need help rather than those that can help themselves.

It's a start from the NDIS to ban Integrity Care, now who police's the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) Commission for failing Ann? I can only assume that there would be other people being let down by the same system as per Power Raid post above.

It's a start from the NDIS to ban Integrity Care, now who police's the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) Commission for failing Ann? I can only assume that there would be other people being let down by the same system as per Power Raid post above.

In my experience with the system, she would not be the only one. People are falling through the cracks all the time and it takes something as shocking as this which was inevitable imo, for people to pay attention.

no doubt if the carer had taken even half the amount of time and effort filling out their time sheet as they did looking after their patient she would still be alive

Employees at Integrity Care refused to cooperate, they now have police raids.

Police are at the headquarters of Integrity Care in Edwardstown and at its directors' home in Huntfield Heights to seize paper and electronic documents relating to Ms Smith's care.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back