Dec 6, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
San Francisco 49ers
The Death Penalty for Andrew Chan & Myuran Sukumaran

1402_chansuku1_a.jpg

http://www.theage.com.au/news/world/firing-squad-for-bali-godfather/2006/02/14/1139679578765.html

Looks like the DP debate is about to get started once again, not sure how much support there is going to be this time compared to Nugen.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Yes, he did it. Yes, he knew the risks. But the fact remains. If not for the AFP, he would not be on death row.

What, will these hands ne'er be clean? No more o' that, my lord, no more o' that: you mar all with this starting.

Here's the smell of the blood still: all the perfumes of Arabia will not sweeten this little hand. Oh, oh, oh!

Lionel Lyon said:
When they say Michael Czugaj got life, in Indonesian Law is that till he dies, or a nominal "life"?

I believe there's a certain day each year in which sentences can be cut - sometimes in return for cash. So the lifers have a chance, although they will most likely spend decades in prison. The main thing that can be done for them is signing a prisoner transfer agreement.

The AFP should hang its head in shame.

Im all for stopping drug trafficking and the like. A more anti drug person you wont find! However did the AFP really have the right to dob them into the Indonesian government when their policys and beliefs on drugs and drug trafficking differs so differently to ours?

carlyp said:
The AFP should hang its head in shame.

Im all for stopping drug trafficking and the like. A more anti drug person you wont find! However did the AFP really have the right to dob them into the Indonesian government when their policys and beliefs on drugs and drug trafficking differs so differently to ours?

Any chance of the Young Libs voting to condemn the AFP's action? I guess there's a fraction of a chance that Ruddock might actually take some notice of his own party.

CharlieG said:
Any chance of the Young Libs voting to condemn the AFP's action? I guess there's a fraction of a chance that Ruddock might actually take some notice of his own party.

Its an idea...I should make some calls tonight Charlie G.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

funkyfreo said:
But they thought what he did was worse?

"He also castigated Chan for not cooperating with Indonesian authorities and for refusing to answer questions during his trial.

"The defendant did not show any remorse during his trial and was evasive.

"There are no grounds for leniency.""

Seems clear to me.

CharlieG said:
:mad: :mad: :mad:

Yes, he did it. Yes, he knew the risks. But the fact remains. If not for the AFP, he would not be on death row.

What, will these hands ne'er be clean? No more o' that, my lord, no more o' that: you mar all with this starting.

Here's the smell of the blood still: all the perfumes of Arabia will not sweeten this little hand. Oh, oh, oh!
You are a drama queen

Oh what a tangled web we weave,
When first we practise to deceive!

otaku said:
"He also castigated Chan for not cooperating with Indonesian authorities and for refusing to answer questions during his trial.

"The defendant did not show any remorse during his trial and was evasive.

"There are no grounds for leniency.""

Seems clear to me.

Look I oppose the death penalty, but there are no suprises here. If the others deserve life in prison, then this guy seems to deserve death.

I feel more sorry for the lifers myself.

CharlieG said:
Please do. If there's anything positive that can be said now it's 'we will never do this again' - preferably from the mouth of Mick Kelty.

AFP cooperation with foreign police should be absolutely conditional on the death penalty not being enforced.

Exactly. Look I hate drugs and drug traffickers and what they do. We have assisted the Indonesian police in stopping these people and we should beable to have them charged under our own laws in our own country as an act of good faith.

carlyp said:
Exactly. Look I hate drugs and drug traffickers and what they do. We have assisted the Indonesian police in stopping these people and we should beable to have them charged under our own laws in our own country as an act of good faith.

You'll never get pre-selection with a soft-on-drugs attitude like that Carly.

funkyfreo said:
Look I oppose the death penalty, but there are no suprises here. If the others deserve life in prison, then this guy seems to deserve death.

I feel more sorry for the lifers myself.

I agree...i think the death penalty isn't the way to go, but when it is a country's stated position, you have to accept that if you get caught, you will face that punishment.

All this wailing and gnashing of teeth is laughable, really.

otaku said:
I agree...i think the death penalty isn't the way to go, but when it is a country's stated position, you have to accept that if you get caught, you will face that punishment.

All this wailing and gnashing of teeth is laughable, really.

Will you think it's laughable if by some miracle Chan's sentence is commuted to life?

Who gives a toss if he dies - he was a dealer in death and he knew the risks. I feel about as sorry for him as I do for mobsters that get gunned down.

What's the benefit of giving him life imprisonment instead? It would be a hell of a life. What does reform matter if he would spend the rest of his life in jail anyway.

And WTF does MacBeth have to do with executing a drug dealer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back