Review The Decade in Review (2010-2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

It really was the decade of the Hawks and Clarkson with 3 flags in a row, with an honourable mention to the Tigers who managed to get 2.

Players who stand out for me in this period in no particular order were Hodge, Franklin, Martin, Rance, Fyfe, Josh Kennedy, Dangerfield, and Ablett

Not many bright spots for us Bombers fans - sadly the decade will be remembered for a lot of lowlights in the clubs history - the drug saga, Jobe Watson having a Brownlow taken off him, James Hird and Bombers Thompson’s respective falls from grace and very few highlights on the field

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
We traded Houli and nearly traded Hooker :(

I'd like to know Worsfold's comparative percentage from 2017 - 2019. Including 2016 gives a disingenuous read.
It's 36 wins and 32 losses from 2017-19, or 52.9% win rate.

41 wins and 43 losses with one draw (keeping in mind that he didn't coach the last game of 2013, the entirety of 2014 or the last three games of 2015).
I thought he got a 50% record. 🤷‍♂️ Oh well.

A decade destroyed by the saga. Who knows how well we would’ve gone without it & no draft sanctions etc.

What an absolute waste of a decade.

We were s**t for good 9 years before the saga even started.....literally haven’t done anything since 2004....

A manufactured, meaningless GF in front of an MCG crowd littered with company directors or 'neutral' supporters (while the thousands of real supporters gather at Punt road) caps off an AFL decade infested with scapegoating, greed and the corporatization of Australian football.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do we think we can emulate the culture, structure and teamwork of the present-day tigers? Or do we need another decade to get out of the quicksand of mediocrity? Wonder what kind of Bomber roar we could hear again at the MCG if we can ever get to the big dance and climb out of our endless rut (and banish the ghosts of a truly horrible 2 decades...)...

A decade where we turned into a nothing club.

One littered with poor decisions, on and off the field. We have joined the Melbourne/St Kilda bracket of basket cases.

Hopefully the next decade can prove to be the reversal... but a long way off at the moment.

It’s real ‘sins of the father’ type stuff, previous administration have a lot to answer for.

The sides that have had genuine on field prosperity in the decade set up their good work between 05 and ‘10, whether that be establishing a brand or getting a core group of players together, we did neither, which makes it pretty easy to see why we are where we are. For me it’s a decade punctuated by some really poor decisions and some even worse luck.

There’s a far rosier timeline out there where Gumbleton is basically Tom Hawkins, David Myers is some kind of Shannon Hurn/Josh Kennedy hybrid monster and our midfield for next season is Watson, Heppell, Merrett, Shiel, Houli, Ross and Smith.

Do we think we can emulate the culture, structure and teamwork of the present-day tigers? Or do we need another decade to get out of the quicksand of mediocrity? Wonder what kind of Bomber roar we could hear again at the MCG if we can ever get to the big dance and climb out of our endless rut (and banish the ghosts of a truly horrible 2 decades...)...
You mean basically do the same thing they did?

It’s real ‘sins of the father’ type stuff, previous administration have a lot to answer for.

The sides that have had genuine on field prosperity in the decade set up their good work between 05 and ‘10, whether that be establishing a brand or getting a core group of players together, we did neither, which makes it pretty easy to see why we are where we are. For me it’s a decade punctuated by some really poor decisions and some even worse luck.

There’s a far rosier timeline out there where Gumbleton is basically Tom Hawkins, David Myers is some kind of Shannon Hurn/Josh Kennedy hybrid monster and our midfield for next season is Watson, Heppell, Merrett, Shiel, Houli, Ross and Smith.
Even in an alternate reality Jobe is still 35 next year, I reckon he might have been finished by now even in the ideal world. ;)

In the spirit of the old Bomber Magazine, maybe a list of the worst ten games of the decade should be compiled.
1. vs Bulldogs, 2019
2. vs Melbourne, 2012
3. vs St Kilda, 2015
4. vs Adelaide, 2015
5. vs Carlton, 2018
6. vs Brisbane, 2017
7. vs West Coast, 2010 (Le Cras game only because we let a small kick 12)
8. vs St Kilda, 2014
9. vs Carlton, 2012 (96 point loss)
10. vs Sydney, 2017 (How did we drop that?)

In the spirit of the old Bomber Magazine, maybe a list of the worst ten games of the decade should be compiled.
In no particular order:

Round 1, 2019 (70 point loss to GWS)
Round 21, 2019 (104 point loss to Bulldogs)
Elim Final, 2017 (65 point loss to Sydney)
Round 6, 2016 (16 point loss to Carlton. The worst game of football I've ever seen.)
Round 20, 2015 (112 point loss to Adelaide)
Round 14, 2015 (110 point loss to St. Kilda)
Round 18, 2015 (87 point loss to Bulldogs)
Round 18, 2012 (94 point loss to Hawthorne)
Elim Final, 2011 (62 point loss to Carlton)
Round 19, 2010 (76 point loss to Carlton)

There are a few others that I could have also included

Remove this Banner Ad

Back