Opinion The Decade that was

Remove this Banner Ad

Best Win: R8 3pt win v Crows at Adelaide Oval in 2014. Had a shocking 2013 season hadnt won in Adelaide since Leoncelli, out of nowhere we win on the road to the crows who were expected to be good that year.

Worst Loss: it gets overlooked coz of the margin wasnt as bad compared to other losses but R7 v Gold Coast in 2013. We lost by 10 goals to the Suns who I'm pretty sure had never won at the G before. One fan even started waving a white flag.

Player of the Decade: Jones by daylight

Biggest Disapointment: Liam Jurrah after 2013, both from a club and human standpoint.

Best AFL Moment: the way the clubs came together after the passing of Phil Walsh

Most Disapointing AFL Moment: the creation of free agency

Play of the Decade (Can be a team, transition, a Clarry handball or goal, anything): Melks 4th quarter goal in the SF v Hawks

Honourable mentions for play of the decade:
-Grimesy's pivotal spoil on Dangerfield v Crows in 2014
-Aidan Riley's bone crunching tackle on some Essendon schmuck (also 2014)
-Viney v Ablett's shoulder 2015
-Jones buzzer beater to seal a 40pt win away v Port late in 2016
-Tmac winner v Eagles 2017

Best non Melburne Player of the Decade: Honestly surprised no one has said Pendlebury yet. Since 2010 he's won 6 AAs, 5 Copelands, played 3 grand finals, won a Premiership and a Norm Smith.

Best Win: R8 3pt win v Crows at Adelaide Oval in 2014. Had a shocking 2013 season hadnt won in Adelaide since Leoncelli, out of nowhere we win on the road to the crows who were expected to be good that year.

Worst Loss: it gets overlooked coz of the margin wasnt as bad compared to other losses but R7 v Gold Coast in 2013. We lost by 10 goals to the Suns who I'm pretty sure had never won at the G before. One fan even started waving a white flag.

Player of the Decade: Jones by daylight

Biggest Disapointment: Liam Jurrah after 2013, both from a club and human standpoint.

Best AFL Moment: the way the clubs came together after the passing of Phil Walsh

Most Disapointing AFL Moment: the creation of free agency

Play of the Decade (Can be a team, transition, a Clarry handball or goal, anything): Melks 4th quarter goal in the SF v Hawks

Honourable mentions for play of the decade:
-Grimesy's pivotal spoil on Dangerfield v Crows in 2014
-Aidan Riley's bone crunching tackle on some Essendon schmuck (also 2014)
-Viney v Ablett's shoulder 2015
-Jones buzzer beater to seal a 40pt win away v Port late in 2016
-Tmac winner v Eagles 2017

Best non Melburne Player of the Decade: Honestly surprised no one has said Pendlebury yet. Since 2010 he's won 6 AAs, 5 Copelands, played 3 grand finals, won a Premiership and a Norm Smith.
Was round 7 2013 against Gold Coast or the Gold campaigners?

Best Win: __Down at Geelong .______

Worst Loss: All of them ________

Player of the Decade: _Chunk of course ______

Biggest Disapointment: _2019 _______

Best AFL Moment: _There hasn't been one______

Most Disapointing AFL Moment __All of them ______

Play of the Decade (Can be a team, transition, a Clarry handball or goal, anything) Jones's goal in the the first final , the way he lifted the team and the crowd.________

Best non Melburne Player of the Decade _Ablett Jrn _________

Great pick, he's probably my favourite non-Dees player. Super consistent and sets up so much of Collingwood's play, though not as obviously damaging as blokes like Martin, Dangerfield etc as he is more of a pure mid and doesn't get the stints forward they do.

Great pick, he's probably my favourite non-Dees player. Super consistent and sets up so much of Collingwood's play, though not as obviously damaging as blokes like Martin, Dangerfield etc as he is more of a pure mid and doesn't get the stints forward they do.
Probably suffers from being the 4th best mid every single season but never being the best.

Just for fun and missery lets reflect on season 2010 to 2019.

Best Win: Vs Geelong In the Elim Final or the Win At Skilled when Gawn put on a clinnic and annouced himself to the comp. Also Was Enrights 300th game.
I Couldn't believe the Geelong Supporters that went were leaving early because we stuneed everyone and won on their turf... softcocks!

Worst Loss: 186, and/the the 2018 Prelim

Player of the Decade: Jones

Biggest Disapointment: Mark Neeld's Coaching Tenure. Tom Scully Situation.

Best AFL Moment: Hawks 3 Peat.

Most Disapointing AFL Moment: Tanking Saga/ Supplements saga

Play of the Decade (Can be a team, transition, a Clarry handball or goal, anything) Mitch Hannans Game Winning goal last in the 18' EF

Best non Melburne Player of the Decade: Hodge

Best Win: 2018 Elimination Final

Worst Loss: 186

Player of the Decade: Nathan Jones

Biggest Disappointment: R23 2017, Season 2019

Best AFL Moment: Western Bulldogs breaking the drought.

Most Disappointing AFL Moment: Essendon Drugs Saga, Phil Walsh death, Danny Frawley, John McCarthy

Play of the Decade: The entire passage from McGovern leading up to & including Sheed's goal.

Best non Melbourne Player of the Decade: Nathan Fyfe

Best win: 2018 Elimination final v Geelong, never seen so many Melbourne supporters at a match in my life, also beating a side in a final who had humiliated us for years prior.

Worst loss: 186, have never watched the game, but what happened that day was truly bizarre and sad for the club.

Player of the decade: Nathan Jones, so grateful he stuck around with us during some truly shite years.

Biggest disappointment: Missing finals in 2017 on the back of that awful loss against the Pies, then watching an Adelaide side with no reason to win go down to the eagles to cement on finish of 9th, that day was a real struggle.

Best AFL moment: Dogs premiership is hard to go past, made me believe we could do the same.

Most disappointing AFL moment: Hawthorn 3peat.

Play of the decade: Jack Watts sealer against the Pies in 2017.

Best non Melbourne player of the Decade: Dustin Martin.

Best win: 2018 EF

Worst loss: 186

Player of the decade: Nathan Jones

Biggest disappointment: Round 23 against Collingwood taking a finals spot out of our hands & our 2019 season

Best AFL moment: Dogs Premiership

Most disappointing AFL moment: Essendon supplement scandal

Play of the decade: T Mac winning goal vs WC 2017 & Watts' kicking the sealer against Collingwood QB 2017

Best non Melbourne player of the decade: Dustin Martin

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best Win: Elimination final against Geelong. Also our 2019 match against Gold Coast which stood out through the bizarre post match feeling of being sort of pleased but at the same time incredibly embarrassed and furious but also amused by some of Gold Coast’s facial hair choices

Worst Loss: not our worst really, but the one that annoyed me the most was round 1 2013 against Port Adelaide. We were so dreadful and it was immediately clear that nobody had a clue what they were doing, and by half time most of the players looked like they had checked out for the season (turns out they had). I was also cold and got drizzled on in the forth, didn’t bring a waterproof jacket, and spilt pie filling on my jumper.

Player of the Decade (Melbourne) has to be Jones. I admit I did consider OMac.

Biggest Disappointment: Mark Neeld, Liam Jurrah, missing finals in 2017.

Best AFL Moment: Melbourne’s performance in AFLX, also the massive drug scandal that turns out to be about the Bombers and not us.

Most Disappointing AFL Moment: Bloody three-peat. Just go away and die Hawks.

Play of the Decade:
1. Clarry at any given moment but particularly this thing he did against WC in Perth 2018 involving two freak handballs, a killer second effort then about a second later magically appears in the forward 50 to steal the footy from and eagles defender before dishing it off effortlessly with another freak handball.
2. OMac’s goal
3. OMac's spoil in the 4th in the elimination final against Geelong using the back of his head
4. Harmes pissing off Selwood to the point where he chucks Melksham to the ground (showing quality judgement)
5. The look on Hawkins face following 4.
6. Bernie Vince kick in against Carlton in some game - chooses the soft pass to Lewis 12 metres away but fails to notice a bloody great Patrick Cripps 10 metres way virtually directly in front of Lewis. Followed by a discussion by the commentary team about the position of the sun (on cloudy day) and whether Bernies vision was “blocked” (presumably by the 10 metres of air right in front of him). Hilarious.
7. The look on Jordy’s face following 6.

Best non Melbourne Player of the Decade: Ablett Jnr
Best non Melbourne player of the decade that I don’t find creepy or off-putting: Fyfe and Pendlebury

Best Win: Semi Final vs Hawthorn (pre-2018 category- thumping Sydney 2010, Adelaide 2011, Adelaide 2014, Geelong 2015, Queen's Birthday 2016, West Coast 2017)

Worst Loss: 186 (runners up 148 and Round 23, 2017)

Player of the Decade: Nathan Jones

Biggest Disapointment: Round 23, 2017

Best AFL Moment: Dogs winning the flag - I am usually dead against Victorian clubs winning flags but that was just plain wholesome

Most Disappointing AFL Moment: Having a video review system that fails half the time

Play of the Decade

or

Tom McDonald at Subiaco

or

Best non Melbourne Player of the Decade: Franklin or GGAF.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back