The decade thats been.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 5, 2007
Yorta Yorta country
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
BlueCo
Just a fun thread for your thoughts on your teams decade from 2010 till now.

Player of the decade
Eden Hazard. Probably the most talent player I've ever seen play for us(just ahead of Zola) and was just unstoppable on his day.
Favourite game of the decade
2nd leg of the UCL semi versus Barca in 2012. Was such a surreal game, 2 goals down, 10 left on the field and no recognised CBs yet we still manage to knock out one of the best teams we'll ever see. That Torres moment is something I'll never forget.
Best or favourite goal of the decade

Biggest disappointment
The players turning on Mou and his meltdown in 2015 when we were the best team in England(IMO) and should have been going back to back. It was tough to support/respect the players and club back then.
Best memory
Obviously that night in Munich. Beating Bayern on their own deck was the best. Removed the pain of Moscow too.
Best signing
Value for money I'd say Gary Cahill. 8m and he ends up an immortal in Munich, a Europa cup, 2 Premierships and a few domestic cups. Also captained us.
Biggest flop
Morata. I was pretty excited at the time but geez what a mentally weak as piss footballer. Never seen someone sook and moan so much on and off the field, thankfully we found a fool to take him.
Biggest regret sold player
Juan Mata. Back to back player of the year and then sold 6 months later. Salah, Lukaku and KDB were options here but the little master was just one of those footballers that everybody loved. What hurt more was we(Chelsea supporters) tried to buy into Mous bullshit of Oscar being better suited his style and then watching him also ending up at United and then using Mata.

Player of the decade
David Silva. Could have been Aguero, could have been Kompany, could have been Yaya, could have been Fernandinho. But I chose Silva, and absolute joy to watch over a decade.

United 1 - City 6. The game that made people sit up and notice, and changed a lot of peoples perceptions of our players and us as a team. And the +10 GD ended up being the difference between winning the title that season and not.

Not really a choice is it?

Biggest disappointment
The way it ended with Mancini

Best memory
The last five minutes of the QPR game will be better than anything I will ever experience in sport again.

Best signing
Aguero

Biggest flop
Mangala.

Don't think we've been bit on the arse by anyone leaving. Maybe Sancho, more for the fact that he's now worth 10 times what we sold him for.

Jun 18, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Player of the decade
Luis Suarez.
Liverpool 4-0 Barcelona
luis-suarez-goal-d.gif

Suarez v Norwich. He scored 4 that day and the one I've chosen probably wasn't even the best one but it was my favourite. I just remember shaking my head in disbelief. What a player.
Biggest disappointment
Gerrard. Chelsea. Gut wrenching.
Best memory
Origi slotting vs Spurs and realising we had won the Champions League.
Best signing
Virgil Van Dijk. He completely transformed the team like no other signing we made this decade.
Biggest flop
Loris Karius. I know he didn't cost much in terms of money but at least Andy Carroll scored against Everton at Wembley. All Karius did was give away two goals in a champions league final.
Losing the likes of Torres, Suarez and Sterling wasn't nice but they wanted to leave so not much you can do about it. Don't think there's anyone we've voluntarily sold that have come back to bite us.

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Don’t mind me Chef I’m turning into a cranky old campaigner. Woke up in an even fouler mood than I went to bed in which I didn’t think possible :D

undefined

probably incorrect
Jun 3, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
QLDer
Player of the decade
Lolo Koscielny - I can forgive his unceremonious departure, for he was nothing short of an outstanding servant to this club.
Arsenal 2, Barcelona 1. Beat one the best club teams, ever, at their own game. Would've gone through if not for UEFA corruption in the 2nd leg.
Hard to pick just the one. It'd be between:
- Persie vs Liverpool
- Ozil vs Ludogorets
- Ramsey vs Hull
- Welbeck vs United
- Arshaviiiiiiin
- Sanchez vs Villa, and
- Persie vs Everton
Biggest disappointment
6-0 in Wenger's rack game.
Best memory
Per's grilling of Ozil after we lost to City.
Best signing
Mesut Ozil
Biggest flop
Granit Xhaka
Serge Gnabry

undefined

probably incorrect
Jun 3, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
QLDer
Love being reminded about the time Liverpool bottled the league. That night when Arsenal product Dwight Gayle destroyed them was just ******* hilarious.

Jun 18, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Don’t mind me Chef I’m turning into a cranky old campaigner. Woke up in an even fouler mood than I went to bed in which I didn’t think possible :D

You can talk about those times you won the "we finished above Liverpool" trophy that you guys loved banging on about, as if it meant anything.

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You can talk about those times you won the "we finished above Liverpool" trophy that you guys loved banging on about, as if it meant anything.
Well it obviously riled you as you’re still banging on about it.

I think it was more the fact that your biased brigade couldn’t accept that spurs were a better team than Liverpool back then. The blinkered view is what your supporters are known for

ADL9798

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
Player of the decade
1. Suarez
2. Van Dijk
3. Salah

1. 4-0 v Barcelona (2018/19 CL Semi)

2. 3-2 v Man City (2013/14 PL)

3. 4-3 v Dortmund (2015/16 EL Semi)

1. Sturridge v West Brom (2013/14 PL)

2. Suarez v Newcastle (2013/14 PL)

Biggest disappointment
1. 2018 Champions League Final
2. 2013/14 Premier League - specifically the Chelsea game.
3. 2018/19 Premier League - 97 points and still runner up. What was it going to take?

Best memory
1. 2019 Champions League Final - Henderson on the podium and celebrating with his dad encapsulated it for me. Like us supporters, he’d been there throughout the decade for all the ups and downs, and in that moment it all finally became worthwhile.

Best signing
Suarez or Van Dijk. Can’t separate them. Both would make our all time XI.

Biggest flop
Carroll. Indicative of our aimless transfer policy at the time. On-field Dalglish was trying to play quick, pass & move football, and off-field we were signing the likes of Carroll & Charlie Adam.

All worked out in the end but it would’ve been great to have seen how Suarez & Sterling would’ve gone under Klopp.

jd2010

Well done boys. Good process, carry on
Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Brentford FC
Player of the decade
Harry Kane - never would have picked that the kid in number 37 getting games under Tactics Tim would become club & country captain and will probably be leading goalscorer for both
Tottenham 2 - Arsenal 1. NLD that I got to go to in Poch's first season sitting right next to the filth. Kane double to win it

The header above for being there. But the Bale cracker at West Ham still wins it

Biggest disappointment
Being in London for the demise of AVB and the Sherwood era. And the Levy-Poch breakdown over the rebuild
Best memory
NLD above
Best signing
Dele, Bale, Modric
Biggest flop
Federico Fazio & Paulinho
Bale

Last edited:

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
Player of the decade
Eden Hazard. Integral to us winning at least 4 trophies (PL 2014/15, 2016/17, EL 2012/13, 2018/19), plus he is IMO the most talented player we've ever had. Yes, even more talented than Zola/Lampard/Terry.
That game in Munich. Changed the direction of the club forever, beyond us winning our first CL. Without that win, we don't get Hazard and quite possibly not Oscar, either.
The one that chef displayed. Honourable mention to Hazard's solo goal against West Ham and Mata's fabulous free kick against Man U in 2012/13.
Biggest disappointment
Almost everything that happened in 2015/16, bar denying Tottenham the title.
Best memory
See above RE game in Munich.
Best signing
Azpi. Got him for very little and has provided us with sterling service since.
Biggest flop
Torres. His highlights blind us to the many, many lowlights of his time with Chelsea. Cost 50m, which was eye-watering in those days, and provided roughly 20 PL goals in 3.5 years. He wasn't as bad in Europe, but nowhere near good enough to justify his investment. Plus, we didn't make any money off him. At least Morata didn't hang around that long, got to double figures in the PL in his first season and made most of our money back on him.
Kevin de Bruyne. Short-term it was the right call (Oscar simply fitted Jose's system better), but long-term de Bruyne reached heights that Oscar could never dream of. Salah is more a case of an excellent manager pushing him to his absolute limit, in a system that suits him down to the ground (he was certainly nowhere near that good at Fiorentina or Roma). Lukaku I don't really regret - I don't think he has the attributes to be anything more than OK playing for a Top 4 PL side. Mata is a great guy, but he was never as good at Man U as he was for Chelsea in his 2012/13 pomp.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thistle

Norm Smith Medallist
May 12, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chelsea, ICT, Glory
Player of the decade
Hard to go past Hazard's magic

2012 CL semi-final 2nd leg vs Barca at the Nou Camp. Conceded early, 2-0 down, JT first half red card, Ramires wonder goal before half time, Messi missed pen, Torres last minute. The game had everything and felt like we were hanging on for dear life the entire 90 minutes but somehow we made it through. Still in disbelief when I think about it.

Ramires wonder goal in the game mentioned above. Distinctly remember it actually made me jump out of my seat.

Biggest disappointment
Games in under AVB and Mourinho's final year were not fun to watch.

Best memory
That game in Munich

Best signing
Hazard. To win him when all of Europe were after him and enjoy his talents for so many years was a delight.

Biggest flop
Bakayako. Thought he would be the next Essien but instead it turned out we bought the one dud from that Monaco side.

Lukaku. Still baffles me that we had the solution to our post-Drogba striker problem but we decided to sell him.

Last edited:
Player of the decade
Suarez
2nd leg in the semi vs Barca last season. (2nd leg quarter final vs Dortmund in the Europa league close behind)
Suarez to Kuyt vs Man United in 2011.
CheerfulSneakyCobra-size_restricted.gif

Biggest disappointment
Sakho's overhit pass in 2014 vs Chelsea.
Best memory
YNWA post the Barca comeback game. Was in tears and the most proud I've ever been to be a Liverpool fan.

Best signing
VVD completely changed our defence which let in 50 goals before, and got us to 2 CL finals, winning one, + 97 points in the prem and currently leading this season.
Biggest flop
Karius. We are going to make a profit on him but still cost us a CL.
Saurez. I reckon him biting at the world cup was the final straw though and we had to move him on. Would be awesome if he was still here.

Last edited:
Player of the decade
Really hard to go past Bowen, just the sheer volume of goals and the amount of points he has won us in the last 3 seasons when many were fearful of us following a Bolton/Sunderland path of plummeting down and running into financial issues, he's probably single handedly prevented that.
This one's tough, there's a few really likely candidates - Derby away in the Play Off Semis, Sheff Utd in the FA Cup Semis, Sheff Weds in the Play Off Final, I think I'd have to go with 3-1 against Liverpool though because it was our first ever competitive win over them, and I was actually at the game to see my first City goals and first City win, so it's always going to be a bit of a magical game for me.
Easy answer would be favourite goal is Jake Livermore's opener in the above game, but I'll go with Davies' goal in the FA Cup Final because the emotion in that moment has been unmatched in any other City match since.
Biggest disappointment
Ramsey.
Best memory
Davies goal.
Best signing
I guess technically Bowen, was a youth signing, or else Andy Robertson.
Biggest flop
Ben Arfa, though technically only a loan.
Andy Robertson or James Chester. Chester was a huge part of our first rebuild at the start of the decade and loved the club, so was tough for him to leave, and he's not really gone on to climb the same heights as Andy.

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
ok I’m doing this out of boredom

Player of the decade
Has to be Kane. Broke through in 2014 and last season aside when injuries disrupted him he’s been in the top two or three goal scorers every year. Not bad for a one season wonder

There’s been many but one stands alone, Ajax 2 Tottenham 3. Not winning the final will always take some gloss off it but in the moment it was one for the ages.

Very hard to recall a specific one. Obviously Moura’s last minute goal in Ajax but perhaps this one tops it :p

Biggest disappointment
Has to be the CL final. Didn’t do ourselves justice and not even the consolation of a goal or a contribution to a classic match. A turgid non-event sadly

Best signing
Probably Son, edges both Dele and Eriksen.

Biggest flop
Gashen. There may be others particularly from the Bale cash but how can it not be Gashen

Has to be Bale, although it was quite exciting to get all those players in return although only Eriksen and to a lesser extent Lamela worked out. Modric was also a blow but in truth he was more replaceable than Bale

Player of the decade

The obvious answer is Suarez who was ridiculously good and one of the best players I have seen play for the club. If we had another season or 2 before the end of the decade, you would be able to make a serious case for Salah, Mane, Firmino, or VVD.

Hard to pick between 4-3 Dortmund, 4-0 Barca, and Madrid. If I had a gun to my head and had to pick one, it would be 4-0 Barca.

Corner taken quickly, ORIGI!!!!!!!!

Biggest disappointment

It can't be anything other than last season. That broke my heart just as much as 08/09. You can make a case for 2013/14 but I always had a feeling in the back of my head that City may pip us. They were a better side then too. Last season we were the best team and the title came down to millimeters in the game at the Etihad.

Best memory

Madrid last season.

Best signing

It's easy to say Suarez, VVD or Salah, but for me it is Firmino. He has been superb and is vastly underrated by non-Liverpool supporters. He is the one who makes our front 3 click. Even when not in the best of form like at the moment, you can always notice the drop off in quality up top and how easy opposition teams are able to play the ball out from the back when he is not there.

Biggest flop

Recency bias says Karius. However, he is far from the biggest flop. I'm going with Jovanovic. Konchesky comes really close too. We had some God awful players at the start of the decade under Woy.

Suarez. We always going to be his stepping stone to get to Barca, but I really wish he was still here under Klopp. He would have gone to another level. Another is Torres even though he was past it. I would have liked to see what he could have done playing alongside Suarez.

How was Jovanovic a bigger flop than Karius? He was a free transfer when we had no money and were scraping the barrel. Literally nothing was expected of him. Karius was highly rated and brought in to be our number 1 keeper and was a complete disaster from his debut on.

Because Karius wasn't anywhere near our worst player of the decade. He was okay but never recovered from the CL final. Jovanovic was utter dross whether he was a free transfer or not. He had been great in Belgium and had also just won the Belgian League's best player award before coming to us so it wasn't like he was that bad before we picked him up. Just because someone came in on a free, it doesn't mean you can say they flopped.

Markovic was a pretty big flop wasnt he?

Yep. I forgot about him. He suffered from a case of the Karius in that he got one bullshit red card and he never recovered from it. I think there were also some serious questions about his professionalism and his dedication to making it as a pro.

Oct 5, 2007
Yorta Yorta country
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
BlueCo
Yep. I forgot about him. He suffered from a case of the Karius in that he got one bullshit red card and he never recovered from it. I think there were also some serious questions about his professionalism and his dedication to making it as a pro.
I was pretty disappointed at the time you chose you guys over us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back