The Defence thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
All things MFC defence in here, what do other guys think will be the make up of our 6?

May an Lever come in, do we keep one of Frost an Omac? Neither? Both?
Does Hore get another crack? Lewis? Wagner?

I dont think either of Frost or Mcdonald is good enough at AFL level.

Between them on the weekend they had 0 intercept marks ( Harmes had 3 )
In what is one of the most important parts of the game, we didnt have anyone.
Lever helps, but he cant be doing it on his own.
Problem is Omac cant be trusted to stop a key forward and Frost cant be trusted to be 3rd man in.

I think we badly need Petty to develop an go past both. Dont think either has it TBH

I think it looks like this.

Jetta, May, Hibberd
Salem, Lever, Lewis

3 All Australians, 1 AA squad member. May and Salem both A graders IMO. That's a bloody solid defense.

O Mac or Frost only get a game if the opposition have three tall options.

IMO I'd take Frost over O Mac because he has more to offer other than standing next to an opponent.

I think it looks like this.

Jetta, May, Hibberd
Salem, Lever, Lewis

3 All Australians, 1 AA squad member. May and Salem both A graders IMO. That's a bloody solid defense.

O Mac or Frost only get a game if the opposition have three tall options.

IMO I'd take Frost over O Mac because he has more to offer other than standing next to an opponent.

Agree with this. Ideally I wouldn’t take Frosr OR OMac (Both are s**t) but if I have to pick one right now it’s Frost.

All things MFC defence in here, what do other guys think will be the make up of our 6?

May an Lever come in, do we keep one of Frost an Omac? Neither? Both?
Does Hore get another crack? Lewis? Wagner?

I dont think either of Frost or Mcdonald is good enough at AFL level.

Between them on the weekend they had 0 intercept marks ( Harmes had 3 )
In what is one of the most important parts of the game, we didnt have anyone.
Lever helps, but he cant be doing it on his own.
Problem is Omac cant be trusted to stop a key forward and Frost cant be trusted to be 3rd man in.

I think we badly need Petty to develop an go past both. Dont think either has it TBH
Every week I kept hearing Petty was in the best for Casey. pressure got to him in his debut which was pretty s**t for him and us. I hope when we give him another crack this year its for a month so he can settle in.

I think our best 6 is:

Jetta May Hibberd
Lever Frost Lewis/Hunt

Frost is a spaz but surrounded by level heads in Lewis, May, Lever, Jetta Hibberd I think he is ok and can at least use some weapons in terms of speed and long, zone clearing kicks. I have him in because I like Lever freed up as 3rd tall.

I like Hunt for rebounds as well but maybe don't need both of Hunt and Frost in the same defence.

For some reason that is lost on me (but maybe others disagree?) Omac is a deadset lock in our side. Undroppable according to the coaches. If everyone is fully fit I hope this changes. He's young still, I get that but the amount of times he shows ineptitude is rattling. His 1 v 1 defensive positioning is sometimes baffling (see Omac v Westhoff Round 1, 2019).

For this reason I think that our ACTUAL back 6 will look like this:

Jetta May Hibberd
Lever Omac Lewis

I can't believe you didn't name this thread "The Case for the Defence" ...
Every time I see this thread an internal voice says “the Defence rests”. I want to work a joke around it but I haven’t come up with one

I like frost, i really do, but too much is being expected of frost and omaC right now. Omac is showing me donuts. Frost at least brings something to the game even if it doesnt always work.

jetta may lewis/hibberd
lever frost salem

Frost at least brings something to the game even if it doesnt always work.

He sure does bring something to the game. I don't know what it is, but he brings it all the same. I do find him entertaining in the same way it'd fascinate me watching a helicopter full of onions careen through the skies.

When Frost isnt trying to break 6 peoples tackles, he is an absolute line breaker for us. Does what hunt used to do but actually does it more consistently, and often hits something of a target at the other end (as opposed to hunt just dropping on the foot when he is out of gas running). Omac is just getting bullied. For a guy who is almost 100kg? there should be no way he is getting rag dolled like he does.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He sure does bring something to the game. I don't know what it is, but he brings it all the same. I do find him entertaining in the same way it'd fascinate me watching a helicopter full of onions careen through the skies.
I had to look up careen. Good word

I have a feeling if lever ever gets fit we will also use May as a swing man

I still think hunt will make it as he cracks in hard and has good defensive pressure when hendoes

I reckon we will be cooked this year befor all that is worked out though

Can I get a witness?

This is why I don't rate Omac or Frost. Frost is underneath the footy but still attempts the spoil. Look at Gray waiting to pounce on the crumbs. Meanwhile Omac an Jetta spoil each other. Mark the ******* ball!
They both spoil it an it ends up with Ryder whom Gawn jumps around for a goal.
A good defence marks that, 2 of our guys leave their opponent to make no impact.

20190325_134848.jpg

Look at Jettas man right of screen.. like ffs.
Our backline is terrible.

20190325_134856.jpg

This is why I don't rate Omac or Frost. Frost is underneath the footy but still attempts the spoil. Look at Gray waiting to pounce on the crumbs. Meanwhile Omac an Jetta spoil each other. Mark the ******* ball!
They both spoil it an it ends up with Ryder whom Gawn jumps around for a goal.
A good defence marks that, 2 of our guys leave their opponent to make no impact.

View attachment 642096

Look at Jettas man right of screen.. like ffs.
Our backline is terrible.

View attachment 642097

Jetta looks like he's matching up on a hobbit.

We do dumb s**t all over the ground - all mids get sucked to a contest, our defenders all leap for the same ball and so do our forwards half the time. If players are being told to play certain roles, get front and centre, etc, they're not listening. You rarely see any of our players just hold their position and keep their man out of a contest to let a teammate mark uncontested. Frost charging into the back of Gawn in our defensive 50 was one example of that I can recall on the weekend - a smarter and/or more disciplined player would have left it for the 208 cm guy to mark.

Jetta looks like he's matching up on a hobbit.

We do dumb s**t all over the ground - all mids get sucked to a contest, our defenders all leap for the same ball and so do our forwards half the time. If players are being told to play certain roles, get front and centre, etc, they're not listening. You rarely see any of our players just hold their position and keep their man out of a contest to let a teammate mark uncontested. Frost charging into the back of Gawn in our defensive 50 was one example of that I can recall on the weekend - a smarter and/or more disciplined player would have left it for the 208 cm guy to mark.

So are we poorly coached on this journey? Or do we have low intelligence players?

So are we poorly coached on this journey? Or do we have low intelligence players?

Low confidence players. I doubt the coaches told Omac an Jetta to spoil each other yet neither had the confidence an assertiveness to take control of the situation an mark it.

Omac plays wayyyy to ******* safe. He had 5 disposals an no intercept marks on the weekend. He needs to back himself to take the mark more an not just negate an opponent but beat them.

At worst that spoil needs to go towards the boundary line but instead it went up in the air in the corridor. Happens all the time

The coach can’t be left entirely out of this I fear.

Either his coaching has some fairly concerning holes, or his players keep reverting to bad habits under pressure - and after being senior coach for three years you might ask why he isn’t able to get players to retain his message.

Either his coaching has some fairly concerning holes, or his players keep reverting to bad habits under pressure - and after being senior coach for three years you might ask why he isn’t able to get players to retain his message.

I share both your hopes and fears.

Well 1 player we have left from the bad era still seems to think they all need to go after the same ball even though his role has changed instead of sitting outside. Like seriously if our captain cant go boys we all dont need to go in we've got a couple bull's who'll get it out to us just cover the outs and get ready to run both ways then we are ****ed especially now with no runners between goals. We need players to play their roles surely we arent coached to have 8 players go after the same ball and be flat footed when it comes out.

Well 1 player we have left from the bad era still seems to think they all need to go after the same ball even though his role has changed instead of sitting outside. Like seriously if our captain cant go boys we all dont need to go in we've got a couple bull's who'll get it out to us just cover the outs and get ready to run both ways then we are ****** especially now with no runners between goals. We need players to play their roles surely we arent coached to have 8 players go after the same ball and be flat footed when it comes out.

I’ve read your post a couple of times and am pretty sure I agree

Remove this Banner Ad

Back