The Defensive Unit - Is There Something We Are Missing Here ?

Remove this Banner Ad

The only ones that I can see filling that void are Buckley, Pickett or Smedts, all have their limitations. Pickett would be the pick of those names, but given his forward prowess and potential midfield time, he could be wasted there.
Maybe it might be a good spot to develop his game a bit before releasing up the ground later in his career?

I just posted something similar in the gameday thread, but I genuinely think this is the strategy Bolton wants.

We're playing a tall, athletic back 6 with a floating extra (Docherty). All 7 defenders can zone off their man and compete in the air, bringing the ball to ground. We then usually have weight of numbers (ie; a 3 on 2) which we can use to win possession. Very few tall defenders can compete with this, and its giving us a very sound structure.

We've been beaten by:
a) small defenders who can just beat us in 2 on 3 situations. They've kicked goals, but not been consistent across games imo (they pop up for 2-3, but don't do a lot else)
b) forward-running midfielders who kick goals on the run over the top of our structure, or from 'rebounds' (where they set up on the 50 when a kick comes in, and they gather a long crumb or get a handball going against traffic).

I think this is exactly what Bolton wants - as our midfield improves and we get better defensive running, we'll shut b down a lot better, and with a better team we'll take our chance sin the future with A).

We just can't score ourselves, due to a lack of cattle and a lack of confidence. But one end is holding up quite well IMO

We've been beaten by:
a) small defenders who can just beat us in 2 on 3 situations. They've kicked goals, but not been consistent across games imo (they pop up for 2-3, but don't do a lot else)
b) forward-running midfielders who kick goals on the run over the top of our structure, or from 'rebounds' (where they set up on the 50 when a kick comes in, and they gather a long crumb or get a handball going against traffic).

We certainly were made to look silly against Jack Billings last week.

We are on the verge of an A-grade back line. The type of back line you can build premierships off. Feel we need a bit more run out of there though.

Jason Johannisen is out of contract this year. Might cost a pretty penny but would really complement our backline and give us some much needed run and link up....

We are on the verge of an A-grade back line. The type of back line you can build premierships off. Feel we need a bit more run out of there though.

Jason Johannisen is out of contract this year. Might cost a pretty penny but would really complement our backline and give us some much needed run and link up....

We are missing that dynamic attack and run off the half back line although our current gameplan doesn't lend itself to run and gun.

Maybe that would change if we had the personnel

We are missing that dynamic attack and run off the half back line although our current gameplan doesn't lend itself to run and gun.

Maybe that would change if we had the personnel

I get the feeling it's very deliberate...we've recruited tall defenders who are agile and have good disposal to be able to carry out that gameplan imo. We've gone after Plowman, Marchbank, ASOS & Macreadie who all fit this mould.
HOWEVER i think we will incorporate a bit more run and gun to mix it up at times in the next year or so, though still having a kick/mark focus.

Our defensive structures has a high focus on getting intercept marks and height obviously does help with that...we often see a Marchbank, Plowman or ASOS in particular intercepting, along with the well-positioned and loose man in Docherty.

Controlling the ball at HB allows us to be relatively risk-free in terms of the risky turnover in our back half. I can barely remember us losing possession in our back 50 and costing ourselves a goal this year.

The tactic has worked well as we've been in winning positions even with a bunch of teenagers...but i think we will incorporate a bit more run and gun in the future to catch our opposition off guard sometimes, rather than ALWAYS kick/marking which is very predictable and doesn't put the opposition to the sword.
More of a 85%/15% ratio, rather than 100%/0%.

The kick/mark tactic has another benefit in being less taxing on the players...which is especially important for now with how many kids we have.

The ballistic running game is obviously hard for players to maintain, which is partly why teams like St Kilda, GC, Collingwoood etc can look like premiership favourites one week, and putrid the next. Our game plan is more stable and consistent.

Agree that we need someone in that smaller defender role. This is a real gap for us that regularly gets exploited. Needs to be super fast, super smart, super disciplined, super composed, and super strong tackler.
I would sort of like to say SPS but really hoping to keeping seeing him up the ground.
We have a raft of other potentials who could potentially grow into the role:
Pickett (haven't seen enough of him yet but have a gut feeling that he may not be ideal deep in defence)
Sumner or Lamb rejuvenate themselves in this role?
Polson?
LeBois?
Worth trialling this throughout the season.

Agree that we need someone in that smaller defender role. This is a real gap for us that regularly gets exploited. Needs to be super fast, super smart, super disciplined, super composed, and super strong tackler.
I would sort of like to say SPS but really hoping to keeping seeing him up the ground.
We have a raft of other potentials who could potentially grow into the role:
Pickett (haven't seen enough of him yet but have a gut feeling that he may not be ideal deep in defence)
Sumner or Lamb rejuvenate themselves in this role?
Polson?
LeBois?
Worth trialling this throughout the season.
Cuningham or Byrne.

The idea of Pickett playing as a small defender gets better the more I think about it.

In his senior games he looked a little lost as to where he should run, and playing that rolewould help his development.

As for tackling ability, I recall him laying a couple of beauties, and he's averaging three per game with Northern, which is not bad for a small forward.

And in this thread's original post, it was mentioned getting a gorilla to replace Rowe, and I suddenly thought of Mick Martyn *shudder*.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ive been hearing for a little while now that Joe D will be the best player in the comp, some saying better than Buddy.

Someone footy talking head this morning said that nobody can play on him.

But nobody remembers our game against the Bombers and the guy we played on him and how he went.

Obviously he there needs to be pressure all over the ground, otherwise you end uo with a Lynch situation in the Gold Coast game.

But big backs will always be needed.
Has Richo written all over him. Similarly gangly style. Will most likely end up being a very good player with flashes of brilliance, but inconsistent.

The idea of Pickett playing as a small defender gets better the more I think about it.

In his senior games he looked a little lost as to where he should run, and playing that rolewould help his development.

As for tackling ability, I recall him laying a couple of beauties, and he's averaging three per game with Northern, which is not bad for a small forward.

I'd like to see it but needs to get fitter first.

Small forwards have killed us!!

Richmonds smalls
Garlett (3)
Matera (3)
Gray (5)
Hayward and Papley (2 each)
Elliot (3)
Billings (5)
Crozier and Walters (3 each)

Once that is addressed the defence is complete.

Spot on. And it is not just goals. Have a look at the possessions they are racking up also. We can not persist trying to play Plowman and/or White on the opposition small forwards. It is costing us each week. With Betts and Toby Greene coming up it could get a lot worse.

I still maintain we are too tall.
Plowman can play as 3rd tall. Get a small in. Bucks or Sheehan
I think I saw on the AFL site last night that if May (G.C) does not sign a contract with them that Carlton are interested along with two other clubs......even more height?????????

Byrne can cover the smaller guys along with Docherty, but they're not enough.

You want someone that can jet out of the back-line and I think Pickett could be that guy.
Played the role well in the NB's last week, laying good tackles along with providing the run.
Seems to have a body that won't get pushed around and he's capable overhead.

Pickett has the tools but would have to be tested on the desire to succeed down back.

NB: Docherty is listed at 187 but I don't think he's that tall. More around the 183/184 mark
let`s make him 185 and be done with............

At least deserves a go. Makes some mistakes but has a red hot go, takes the game on, is quick and kicks the ball long. Unfortunately I think that goes against everything we are trying to do at the moment
I think it's a bit simpler than that Soapy V. I think it's poor disposal / poor decision-making that is holding Buckley back. The signs are not good for him I am afraid.

I like the direction we have taken bringing in kids with good disposal in particular. SPS, Fisher, Macreadie, Williamson and Weiters, and Marchbank, in particular have elite disposal and clean ball-handling under pressure.
Jack I think has elite skills and sticky fingers but is prone to the odd poor decision (I put it down to exhaustion and will improve as he increases his fitness base).
Charlie is an elite mark and we can see what he is trying to do with some of his delivery into forward 50, I suspect he rushes it a bit, and needs more pre-seasons too.
Polson from what I have seen has tidy disposals and lots of pace. Needs another pre-season.
I think Cuningham has the tools and for him it's about the decision-making under AFL pressure and getting more of it at AFL level.
I was pleasantly surprised with Kerr's marking on the hard lead and he is a good long kick. I like the thought of him up the ground for the transition out of defence and kicking it over the top for Jack, Charlie, SPS or Fisher to run onto into open goal.
And Harry chases hard, tackles and runs so much. His set shot kicking is reasonable. Has to clunk it a bit more.

There is a place IMO for Graham with his ball use and delivery into forward 50.
There is certainly a place for Byrne.
I would like to see what Smedts can do with a good run without injury.
And I think Pickett will be best 22 next year after another pre-season.

I would like to see what Lamb and Sumner do later this year (I think Lamb is closer to a Senior game).

I think Kerridge, Palmer and Boekhorst will find it hard to get games unless to fill in for injuries, resting young bodies, etc. due to kicking / decision-making. Back to the start, I think Buckley is behind those 3, along with a handful of others.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back