The definition of insanity Adelaide's movement into the forward line

Remove this Banner Ad

bigman

Premiership Player
Mar 29, 2004
All Parts
AFL Club
Adelaide
The definition of insanity is to keep doing the same thing again and again and hoping to get a different result Why have we reverted to kicking the ball high and aimlessly into our forward line in the remote hope we may get one of our talls to take a pack Mark. The last person to take a contested Mark like this was Thilthorpe and before him methuselah playing CHF for Jerusalem We must learn to lower our eyes or kick and lead to space it is doing my head in. Tex was awful tonight and was clearly beaten in any one on one contest. Thilthorpe was also beaten but showed that he has a lovely kick and will get better. Himmelberg was the only person who kept Allir Allir in check and competed well but i am sick to death of him kicking the ball to the right of the goals every time. I told my family it was going to happen before I did. I also want to know why our key forwards always play back shoulder and why they are never in the right position when the ball comes out from defence. The ball is always intercepted by the opposing teams Defenders. Surely rahilly would not tell the players to keep playing this way.

Last edited:
I enjoyed watching the three talls all jumping for the same ball.

Was like watching kids play marks up.

After some signs of system earlier in the season - holding our structure and feeding the ball to players on the outside, isolating one-on-one's in the forward line etc we've regressed to a grinding, high pressure territory battle.

Just hack it forward, hopefully halve the contest, try to get numbers there, force a stoppage if we can. Repeat.

Desperate, effort, grunt football. Helps us be semi competitive. Will keep the losses respectable but won't take us anywhere nice

Can't win the ball cleanly at the contest, so we have to play safe down the boundary line and move it slowly which gives the opposition time to set up in front of the ball. At worst we get it out of bounds, reset and try to win it again, rather than directly turn it over going riskier. By the time we've gotten up for the F50 entry there's not a lot of options because there's 20+ guys packed back there.

We've been turning the ball over in the back half a lot the last 6 weeks, which is stopping us getting the clean, quick play we were getting earlier in the season.

After some signs of system earlier in the season - holding our structure and feeding the ball to players on the outside, isolating one-on-one's in the forward line etc we've regressed to a grinding, high pressure territory battle.

Just hack it forward, hopefully halve the contest, try to get numbers there, force a stoppage if we can. Repeat.

Desperate, effort, grunt football. Helps us be semi competitive. Will keep the losses respectable but won't take us anywhere nice
This this this.

This is just ridiculous. He has shown his value this year, it isn't his fault the coaches can't work out how to structure up around him or shithouse i50s. Don't even get me started on Hamill's kick to space for him to chase it.
Tex is back to trying to play the man rather than lead to the ball.
His marking is back to 2020 standards.
He's providing no defensive pressure, again like 2020 compared to his early season efforts.
Having zero impact.
Until he is gone I don't truly think this rebuild can move forward with whoever we elect needs to be paired with Thilthorpe.
Is it Fogarty? We've spent 4 years not finding out.

The definition of insanity is to keep doing the same thing again and again and hoping to get a different result Why have we reverted to kicking the ball high and aimlessly into our forward line in the remote hope we may get one of our talls to take a pack Mark. The last person to take a contested Mark like this was Thilthorpe and before him methuselah playing CHF for Jerusalem We must learn to lower our eyes or kick and lead to space it is doing my head in. Tex was awful tonight and was clearly beaten in any one on one contest. Thilthorpe was also beaten but showed that he has a lovely kick and will get better. Himmelberg was the only person who kept Allir Allir in check and competed well but i am sick to death of him kicking the ball to the right of the goals every time. I told my family it was going to happen before I did. I also want to know why our key forwards always play back shoulder and why they are never in the right position when the ball comes out from defence. The ball is always intercepted by the opposing teams Defenders. Surely rahilly would not tell the players to keep playing this way.

We're doing it because it's what Nicks wants. He wants deep entries, not short and shallow. This precedes the ridiculous 4 tall set up. If a player is 70 out, he does not want a short and shallow entry. This is from last week, what you see is the logical extension of his comments on entries against GWS.

0F0B6B77-BBE6-4C22-AE79-A862492B8255.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is just ridiculous. He has shown his value this year, it isn't his fault the coaches can't work out how to structure up around him or shithouse i50s. Don't even get me started on Hamill's kick to space for him to chase it.

Tex is done, his body is cooked. It's not his fault but what you saw early in the year was Tex with a refreshed body off a good preseason. What you're seeing now is what it looks like afyer half a dozen games. He's done, his body has been abused by being too big and playing too often with leg injuries. He's done, you need to forget his first few weeks, that's not what he is now. He either retires or gets a block to get right or we can watch him hobbling around being a liability and forcing us to play too many talls in a rebuild year.

We also need midfielders who are willing to bust a pack,take the hit and break from a contest with ball in hand instead of the go-to;instant hack-dump-moon-ball-kick sh*t we see from Laird and Co whenever they take possession. Ben Keays is about the only mid we have who naturally runs from a pack, but he has the issue of not really knowing how or what to do with the pill once he's gets outside.

We are skilled at taking a relatively pressure free situation and turning it into hot-potato tsunami of poor decisions and rushed delivery.

I agree Tex is out of form and I think has been hobbled since Freo, but going back to the 4 tall immobile forward structure is going to kill his game. Frampton wasn't the best, but what he did do all day was move to the right spaces and either draw the kick himself or draw a couple of defenders whilst opening up the corridor for his teammates.

Last edited:
Tex is done, his body is cooked. It's not his fault but what you saw early in the year was Tex with a refreshed body off a good preseason. What you're seeing now is what it looks like afyer half a dozen games. He's done, his body has been abused by being too big and playing too often with leg injuries. He's done, you need to forget his first few weeks, that's not what he is now. He either retires or gets a block to get right or we can watch him hobbling around being a liability and forcing us to play too many talls in a rebuild year.

We should rest Tex for the rest of the year. let him come back for the final 4 games of the season with his body healthy so he can retire on a high note.

Seems the blueprint to do us is to flood our forward 50, wait for the high ball that will come in, kill it in the marking contest, win the ground ball and murder us on the break because other teams run both ways quicker than we do.

I like how we always bring all three key forwards to every F50 marking contest.
Not exclusive to the forward line but I really like how if we have a three on three in a contested ground ball situation, all three Crows players enter the contest while only one opposition player does. Then the ball spills out to the two awaiting opponents in the clear who share a high five and a sandwich as they waltz the ball away.
Also, the old favourite, a player who is streaming down the ground handballing to a stationary player who is facing the oppo goal and is surrounded by oppo players. Love it - turning a quick entry into the forward line into a ball up on the wing. Peak Crows.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back