Opinion The Definitive Foley vs Valente Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Foley has Ainsworth written about him and Valente has Parto written about him.
No, Foley is a pretty good kick and can hit the scoreboard, the Valente-Partington comparison may end up being accurate.

Valente can kick off both feet, but doesnt have great penetration. He is also a bang it on the boot guy at stoppages, whereas Foley tries to find space.

But for me, why Valente may have been passed over is he doesn't have great hands. His in close handpassing is below what would be expected for a mid and he tends to rush things.

Yea our putrid culture can't believe we lost so many players this trade period!!! Losing Hill to Brisbane and Cerra to a victorian team was so devastating.... not like we attracted 4 players whilst losing one to big money

Keep deluding yourself that’s why he left

How about Knightmare then? Had Valente at 22, and Foley at 34.. I’m not saying they are right, it’s just interesting how you all know better than the blokes who do this for a living. Peter Bell said we couldn’t push the button quick enough when Valente was still on the board. Going to be fascinating to watch. We have a good record with later picks. Not at all with early ones.
So Twomey, Knightmare and CD all thought Valente a real talent. Unfortunately none of the actual Football Clubs did. Oh, other than Freo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So am I getting this right? Foley is clearly the better player, although champion data had Valente as the 10th best player in the draft (not bad for a plodder), and someone like Twomey didnt have Foley being picked in the top 30, but he had Valente at 21?
Definitely rate Valente higher, was gutted when we passed on him. Only issue now is their future development at club level, you'd have to say were doing that better at this stage!

Not one club passed on Foley last year.
He did not nominate for the 2017 Draft.

"The Subiaco midfielder was running around in the WAFL Colts competition but was unable to attract any AFL club interest and subsequently was overlooked in the 2017 AFL Draft.

Despite the draft snub and not hearing his name called out on draft night, Foley pulled up his socks and went about his business, and his impressive 2018 has seen him jump up as one of Western Australia’s best draft prospects."

"The Subiaco midfielder was running around in the WAFL Colts competition but was unable to attract any AFL club interest and subsequently was overlooked in the 2017 AFL Draft.

Despite the draft snub and not hearing his name called out on draft night, Foley pulled up his socks and went about his business, and his impressive 2018 has seen him jump up as one of Western Australia’s best draft prospects."
You can't be overlooked in the draft if you don't nominate yourself for the draft muppet, it's not that hard to comprehend.

You can't be overlooked in the draft if you don't nominate yourself for the draft muppet, it's not that hard to comprehend.

“Yeah I missed out last year,” Foley toldfoxfooty.com.au.

“I was a bit bummed about that, but I moved on very quick and kept playing my footy.

“I had a really good preseason this year and really pushing to play my natural game.”

“Yeah I missed out last year,” Foley toldfoxfooty.com.au.

“I was a bit bummed about that, but I moved on very quick and kept playing my footy.

“I had a really good preseason this year and really pushing to play my natural game.”
How many times do you need to hear that he didn't nominate for the draft? His name couldn't have been called out last year because he wasn't eligible to be selected.

How many times do you need to hear that he didn't nominate for the draft? His name couldn't have been called out last year because he wasn't eligible to be selected.

All I am saying is that apparently Valente sucks because all clubs didn't want him in the first 31 picks, but Foley didn't even get interest from one club in his draft year, whether he did nominate or not (by the way he talks it sounds like he did but you guys are adamant he didn't so we will go with that), it still doesn't change the fact no one rated him in his draft year

"The tall midfielder didn’t even nominate for the draft last year but did enough to be snapped up with pick 31 by the Eagles in last week’s national draft."

"The tall midfielder didn’t even nominate for the draft last year but did enough to be snapped up with pick 31 by the Eagles in last week’s national draft."

And what in your head he had every club bending over backwards to get him but he decided not to nominate because he really likes WAFL football? Or he didnt nominate because not one single clun was interested...

All I am saying is that apparently Valente sucks because all clubs didn't want him in the first 31 picks, but Foley didn't even get interest from one club in his draft year, whether he did nominate or not (by the way he talks it sounds like he did but you guys are adamant he didn't so we will go with that), it still doesn't change the fact no one rated him in his draft year
The fact remains that Foley was picked in the 2018 AFL Draft several picks before Valente who was over looked by the both Adelaide clubs on multiple occasions.
Fremantle jumped on Valente like a dog finding a discarded lolly at a family picnic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back