Discussion The Demise of Nike

Hi FJGD,

I think it's time we gave Nike it's own thread to discuss the demise and downfall of such a universal brand and one that has been within the AFL competition since the late 90's.

The last time we saw a Nike jumper without any quality issues was 2013:
c78062dc5d9b0b6f69035916b71d4f90--rugby-players-blues.jpg

Since then we have started to see bizarre colouring, material mixing, quality issues and a general disregard of care with Carlton's uniform.

In 2014 we saw the faded panels appear.
Both shoulder and side:
5372332-3x2-940x627.jpg

An issue that wasn't rectified even in the following season after a rebrand!
2015:
carlton-lose-720x340.jpg

(and for what it is worth, Nike have always had side panels and not had this issue)

Only in 2016 did we see that improve, although the navy had started to become a darker shade away from their historical colour)
2016:
Hawthorn+v+Carlton+2016+AFL+NAB+Challenge+yUv0lxVbBNKx.jpg

Then in 2017 we saw the start of the "gym shorts" as opposed to football shorts:
carlton-blues-600.jpg

And we get to 2018... where we have ironed on patches and a 3D "effect" monogram:
0f39e447337dba9d23de4071b4f945e5_Fish-3754-c-90.jpg

That's not even touching the poor quality of shorts, short designs and continuity or the bizarre back-and-forth between clash jumpers.

Nike have for too long been pushing terrible, terrible uniforms out on Carlton and the AFL.
From ruining their colouring (hello BLK) to providing such poor service we see CGR helping out.

I think it deserves it's own thread and discussion.

Jun 24, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
ΠΓΣΣ LFC Sturt Steelers Nix
In 2014 we saw the faded panels appear.
Both shoulder and side:
5372332-3x2-940x627.jpg
Just need to add that no one in this picture is still at Carlton.

Only in 2016 did we see that improve, although the navy had started to become a darker shade away from their historical colour)
2016:
Hawthorn+v+Carlton+2016+AFL+NAB+Challenge+yUv0lxVbBNKx.jpg
As well as the darker shade, the guernseys' material started to get thinner and thinner.

I don't mind the clash jumper itself, I'm a fan of clash jumpers being different and different colours.
I even like the shorts matching the jumper, I'm a believer in complete uniforms.

It's pairing it up with the home jumper rather than make white shorts (thus needing to bring CGR into it) and the lack of quality control!

As well as the darker shade, the guernseys' material started to get thinner and thinner.
The anti-BLK (BLK got lighter and heavier)

But you cannot even buy a replica jumper that's a replica of the home!
You haven't for nearly 3 years!

No one surely wants a jumper that looks like Carlton's for $100+!

I don't mind the clash jumper itself, I'm a fan of clash jumpers being different and different colours.
I even like the shorts matching the jumper, I'm a believer in complete uniforms.

It's pairing it up with the home jumper rather than make white shorts (thus needing to bring CGR into it) and the lack of quality control!
Agree with this. Every other sport has kits over and top/bottoms.

Maybe we should also be discussing kit options for all teams.

There are a few clubs that have this. Fremantle. Sydney and Gold Coast, because both a red home jumpers. And Brisbane out of default, though could do a lot better.

I think the shorts should be the primary colour of your jumper that you are wearing.

Hawthorn would roll around in gold shorts home, brown with the clash.
Richmond black with the home, yellow with the clash.

I think the shorts should be the primary colour of your jumper that you are wearing.

Hawthorn would roll around in gold shorts home, brown with the clash.
Richmond black with the home, yellow with the clash.
If not, they should compliment the jumper. Meaning it should not be a default white. Brisbane’s Melbourne jumper with royal shorts.

Also the monogram on Tuohy’s jumper. The top of the “F” has come off.
Excellent pick up!
And you can see it peeling on the C as well.
If not, they should compliment the jumper. Meaning it should not be a default white. Brisbane’s Melbourne jumper with royal shorts.
That's the other option, yes

Jun 24, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
ΠΓΣΣ LFC Sturt Steelers Nix
Good jumper though. I think I'm biased, but that North logo would have to come close to GOAT for AFL logos. So iconic.
I don't think you'll find too many people disagreeing with you on here. Some of those '90s-early 2000s logos were brilliant, but maybe it's down to a sense of nostalgia for me, and that's why I (and possibly you) enjoy some of them more than others.

I'm surprised it's taken this long to become an issue on the board given the love to stick the boot in, but after all it's a universal major brand so everyone loves them regardless.

I remember the justification around her about the ironing on logos saying it was a great move ahead of the curve ala EPL...

Cody_ should explain it better but it appears that the AFL told them to get white shirts ASAP and Nike couldn't be ****ed as they are just trying to see the contract out with as little effort as possible so they rang up CGR who manufactur for the Northern Bullants (?) Their VFL side to mock some up quick smart

Yeah, I meant it as in both of them are out of the AFL.
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Nike resigned anyway, seems like something they would do.

However word around here is ISC will leave Sydney and join Carlton.

Back