Health The Dentist

Remove this Banner Ad

There's a fair bit of difference in quality between dentist but I've never really noticed much variation in their prices for stuff. It's like they've all agreed to slug everyone the same high price across the board, it's whether they bother to do what they are supposed to do properly is the real problem imo.

Yeah I think there is actually a schedule of prices (each state has a different schedule) that they use. So the rip-off merchants resort to doing unnecessary things.

At the time I needed a bit of work done, I joined this dental 'insurance' type of thing where for about $60 a year you got a different price schedule (much cheaper for some things). The caveat is that you have to select from a restricted group of 'member' dentists. Thing was, these dentists were all good (have seen three different ones in my time), and I figured the reason they signed up to the cheap scheme was because they were new to the country and simply trying to build up a client/patient base.

Dentist is usually pretty swell in my experience, no different to a beauty parlour or something like that. Maybe a few prods and stings and yanks but pleasant atmosphere. I don't remember being afraid to go, I empathise with their job more than anything. The first time or two you get a tooth pulled isn't a pleasant experience, but growing up it's just like any other hygiene thing, no big deal, the dentist trying to improve your situation.

Last edited:

I'm actually going to see mine in an hour after being in agony on Saturday. Like 9/10 pain. Had an OPG from another one but got an appointment earlier with my usual guy as it's a suspected to be a loose filling.

Taken care of mine pretty well over the last 15 years - braces, regular cleans, wisdom teeth out, small cavities filled, still wear a retainer a couple of nights per week. But was told my enamel genetics were probably a but below average, paired with medication that makes my mouth dryer, quicker. It would be nice to have a solid amount of years without some nagging problem..

Meanwhile a friend of mine in the US says he has a few black ones which hurt when he touches them. Dunno how people just let s**t like that fester in their mouths. Aside from it just being gross, I'd freak out about complications to your blood stream.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back