The Detroit Pistons thread - Where Motown is being rebuilt by forming a f'in wall, that's all we do

Remove this Banner Ad

Can someone explain to a new (2013) fan the context of that banner?
Josh Smith was brought in by by the Pistons to be the franchise player but had been an absolute cancer on the team jacking up bad shots, killing the offensive flow by holding onto the ball and playing mediocre defence despite being known as a good defender. He was universally hated by Pistons fans.

The Pistons waived him when their record hit 5-23 despite them still owing him nearly $30 million in contracts and have now gone on to win seven games in a row.

Josh Smith was brought in by by the Pistons to be the franchise player but had been an absolute cancer on the team jacking up bad shots, killing the offensive flow by holding onto the ball and playing mediocre defence despite being known as a good defender. He was universally hated by Pistons fans.

The Pistons waived him when their record hit 5-23 despite them still owing him nearly $30 million in contracts and have now gone on to win seven games in a row.
I understand the Josh Smith stuff, not where the banner originated from, I've been following us closely this season. Cheers anyway though :)

I understand the Josh Smith stuff, not where the banner originated from, I've been following us closely this season. Cheers anyway though :)
Think of them as the equivelent of AFL Flags for premierships, for conference titles/titles

Can anyone remember a quicker turnaround in a teams fortunes after sacking their highest paid player?

At least this run has given us some hope of keeping Monroe. He looks like he's enjoying himself for the first time in a long time. Still a long way to go but if they can scrap into the playoffs they might be able to convince him to stay.

I think what we all thought at the start of the year was that the Pistons fortunes would depend on whether these guys would buy in and become SVG's team - and for the first 2 months it looked like the answer was a clear no.

The executive decision by Van Gundy to get rid of Smith with no regard for the financial consequences, has hopefully earned him the trust of the young guys on the roster - that this is a guy who wants to, and knows how to, win, and is willing to make the tough decisions to do so.

This now looks like a completely different team - a team that should make the playoffs this year, and if they keep their peices together could be around the top 4 in the East for a number of years to come. (you'd hope for the Piston's sake that Monroe sees that and sees himself as a big part of the long term vision)

The Pistons have won again. They've defeated Toronto away by 3 points. (114-111) That now makes it 9 wins from 11 games for Detriot since they released Josh Smith. Three Pistons players got the double-double.

Brandon Jennings: 34 points, 10 assists
Greg Monroe: 22 points, 10 rebounds
Andre Drummond: 10 points, 14 rebounds

Pistons play what is pretty much the perfect game for them, with all starters in double figures, and the team shooting above 50% from the field and 40% from downtown, to win 128-118 against Orlando.

Brandon Jennings leading the way with 24 points and 21 assists, Andre Drummond with 26 points and 17 rebounds, along with 3 steals and 4 blocks, and Greg Monroe with 24 points, 10 boards and 4 assists. Just the third time in the past three seasons that Drummond and Monroe have both had 20/10 games simultaneously. Pretty ominous for the rest of the league if both of those big boys can regularly click together, and even moreso if Jennings gets in on the act too. They've all had individual good stretches at different stages during the season, but not all at the same time.

Pistons now 12-3 since releasing Josh Smith, just a game and a half out of 8th place in the East. Absolutely amazing turnaround. #stillhaveasoftspotfordemboys

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are people's thoughts on the chances of the Pistons making the playoffs? I think we'll struggle personally without Jennings despite DJ stepping up.

I know it's obvious to blame the 5-23 start but when you look at that early schedule, we went 2-7 against the Knicks, Pacers, Nuggets, T-Wolves, Kings, Celtics, Magic, 76ers & Lakers before we cut Smoove which is going to kill us.

We've got SA, CHI, WSH, CLE, NYK, @WSH, @NO, @HOU, CHA for our next 9 before going on a 4 game west road trip by the end of which I think we'll be out of the race, but of course I hope I'm wrong.

The Pistons have landed Reggie Jackson from Oklahoma City and have also gotten back veteran forward Tayshaun Prince from Boston and have traded out Kyle Singler, DJ Augustine, Jonas Jerebko and Gigi Datome.

The Pistons have landed Reggie Jackson from Oklahoma City and have also gotten back veteran forward Tayshaun Prince from Boston and have traded out Kyle Singler, DJ Augustine, Jonas Jerebko and Gigi Datome.

A lot of people love the trade but I'm not sold on it. Long term I dont see RJ as a significant upgrade over Jennings and don't think they can play together, and if we extend him he takes up cap space when we need other positions filled. Also, Augustin was balling. Jerebko and Datome for Prince is meh.

Didn't see the game but Jackson started off 0-8 from the field but ended up 7/18 for a 17/5/5. KCP with a strong game also (26 points). Drumroe both notched double doubles.

Back to back wins over top 5 sides in the East is promising. Hopefully we can at least split our next 6 (CLE, NYK, @WSH, @NO, @HOU, CHA).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back