The Dice Man's 'Rate a Beer' Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 6, 2005
La Côte d'Azur
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton FC
What follows Ive also posted on another site, but thought if there are any beer connoisseurs out there they may want to get involved and discuss the different beers you've tried then we can rate em here and maybe offer suggestions as to what to try, and what to stay away from.

This is designed not for the mass-produced and marketed Aussie beers, but more for the brews from foreign shores or Aussie Micro/Boutique breweries.

Ive not long got back from Dan Murphy's and I purchased 6 beers Ive never had before.

1. Beez Neez, brewed in WA by the Matilda Bay Brewing Company which is a subsidary of Foster's, and all I know about it is that subsidary pay an absolute fortune for their bottles which come with the raised 'Matilda Bay' on the neck. Will be the first of this 6 I drink.

2. Estrella Damm Lager. A Spanish Lager at 5.4%, quite a strong beer, and if I could read spanish Id probably be able to tell you more about the label.

3. James Squire, Porter beer made by The Malt Shovel Brewery in NSW. The label tells me it was a beer available to the first colonists, and says its actually the only beer that was available. Label makes me expect a chocolatey taste and at 5.0% Im happy with this choice.

4. Kingfisher Premium Lager. An Indian brew at 5% made in Bangalore and the label tells me it is India's #1 selling Premium lager. Will wait and see on this one.

5. Holsten Premium Bier from Hamburg, Germany. Another 5 percenter. Know nothing of this, cant even tell whether its a Lager or Ale.

6. And with the most impressive bottle of teh lot is Grolsch Premium Lager... hmm there's a trend here, I unconciously purchased almost all Lagers.. a bit of a worry as I meant to try different brews, but have almost bought identical styles of beer. Breisch is from Holland and has a % of 5.0 again.

I'll let ya know my thoughts, but Im no beer connisuer being able to explain the complexity of the tastes, but I'll let ya know if I like it or not, and what it may be comparable too.

First up, Beez Neez.

The Beez Neez.

Reminds me of Foster's actually, with a full frothy and creamy head, but not as sweet as fosters, and more flavorsome. Can definitley taste the honey malt, somewhere between being a aftertaste.. I think this is what they call a beer that sits on the middle of your palate. (Apparently our palates have different parts that are sensitive to different tastes, and beers such as Premium Dry and Asahi Super Dry, a Jap beer, sit on the back of the palate, meaning you could eat prawns or even cheesecake and the beer wont interfere with the food). A beer that sits on the front of your palate dominates your taste buds IIRC.

Not bad, not bad at all and definitley leaves a honey flavor lingering well after the sip.

I wouldn't ever buy a carton of this stuff, but would go a 6-pack.

Ok just opened and poured India's #1 selling Lager, Kingfisher Premium, and I must say it smells damn fine, poor head though.

Quite a pale beer, also known as 'Blonde', and I can taste the hops over the malt. I had this in the freezer for a good 10 minutes before cracking and while it has a distinct flavour compared to our usual Aussie beers, I wouldnt want it to be any warmer. Would probably be quite sickly straight out of a 4 degree fridge, but at around 1 degree its not bad. Im tasting a bit of lemon too, its in the aroma, and also in the aftertaste. Subtle.

I'd drink it again.

*Just a note here. All the 6 beers Im tasting here are all between the $2.50-3.80 mark, so they're all inexpensive and obviously available from your local Dan Murphy's (best bottle shop on the Goldy easily).

*Also my beer glasses are chilled in the chiller section of my fridge to the point they have Ice around teh lip. And this is as it should be.

Beer #3 is German Holsten Premium Bier @ 5.0%.

Quite unnasuming, its a Premium in that it dont sit on your palate for too long, but there is a smoothness to it. I read a couple of other ratings on the site I mentioned earlier to get more of a feel for what Im tasting and they mention it as being a 'Buttery beer' and I must say I agree. There is a definite smooth buttery vibe to it.

Again a very light colored beer, and is similar to the Kingfisher I had before, but has a creamy, buttery kind of flavor/texture to it.

I dont mind it at all and would drink this again over any popular Aussie beer.

Had a bottle of Dark Island (a scottish beer) the other week, although it cost me about $8 due to high import tax on beers here in Japan. Its a very very dark brown, almost red colour. Has a kind of chocolaty smell which is very strong.

Although its an Ale it almost tastes like a stout. Very nice beer although I think its one of those beers that you either love or hate.

Borgsta said:
Had a bottle of Dark Island (a scottish beer) the other week, although it cost me about $8 due to high import tax on beers here in Japan. Its a very very dark brown, almost red colour. Has a kind of chocolaty smell which is very strong.

Although its an Ale it almost tastes like a stout. Very nice beer although I think its one of those beers that you either love or hate.

The first part of your description reminded me immediatley of Rooftop Red Lager, by The Matilda Bay Brewing Co.

Ive only had 2 stubbies of the rooftop, but its a 'red' beer, moving toward black and I must say I didnt like it much and had to look at the label to see if it was past it's use by date. It wasnt, it just had a coppery tone, quite appropriate for the name.

Geez those Japs must Tax beer heavily. In Aus our beer is taxed around 65%(depending on Alc content) but I hear the Government are looking at increasing this:eek:

Somthing we should resist heavily considering they already get 65% of beer production, meaning they get far more than the actual producers of the product!

Im cracking Beer number 4 and after a Guiness and 2 Jack Daniels plus the 3 beers Ive put down in bewteen I suspect Im startin to get a lil ********ed here, but all is good.

#4 is James Squire Porter. Meant to be nutty and chocolatey... wait with me while I pour.......

Ahh a suprise, its a dark beer!!! This means its taking advantage of roasted malt so Id defintiley be expecting a coffe or chocolate flavor.

Smells similar to Carlton Black Ale but there's something else there. Hmm, this is very smooth, and yeah very nutty, or more like a Mocca in a beer with subtle bitterness.

I really like this beer, and is easily the best of the list of beers I purchased this arvo.

Definitley go again!

The Dice Man said:
Geez those Japs must Tax beer heavily. In Aus our beer is taxed around 65%(depending on Alc content) but I hear the Government are looking at increasing this:eek:

Somthing we should resist heavily considering they already get 65% of beer production, meaning they get far more than the actual producers of the product!

Yeah a bottle of VB is around $3, which is just silly.

Borgsta said:
Yeah a bottle of VB is around $3, which is just silly.

When you say bottle do you mean stubbie or tallie?

$3 aint that bad really. In NZ you can buy a carton of VB that was brewed and produced in Brisbane, cheaper than you can buy it in Brisbane.

Also, where are you and where is your VB coming from? I know Foster's recently built a brewery in Vietnam for the Asian market, but not sure if this stretches to Japan. Id guess your VB might even be brewed in Japan under licence:confused:

Ok the 5th and penultimate beer on my shopping list this evening.

It is the Estrella Damm, a Spanish Beer of 5.4%(and I must admit this is what attreacted me to the beer).

Smells almost identical to the Indian Kingfisher rated earlier, but has a better head, though that is dissapating fast.

It's quite a pale beer and while I cant read the label cause its in spanish, Id expect it to probably be a wheat beer.

Fairly plain and average, still better than your VB,XXXX etc.. but probably wont buy again.

Swerve.

The Dice Man said:
When you say bottle do you mean stubbie or tallie?

$3 aint that bad really. In NZ you can buy a carton of VB that was brewed and produced in Brisbane, cheaper than you can buy it in Brisbane.

Also, where are you and where is your VB coming from? I know Foster's recently built a brewery in Vietnam for the Asian market, but not sure if this stretches to Japan. Id guess your VB might even be brewed in Japan under licence:confused:

A stubbie. I think it is brewed in Japan under licence from Suntori IIRC.

I forget the exact price to be honest, but I believe its around 270 yen and for a VB im not paying that much. Much better beer available for less.

nicky said:
i don't drink beer

but the no one is coopers green

If you dont drink it, then obviously you have no idea, so please shut up and go away.

Im going to have to look out for that James Squire Porter when Im at the international store next week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Borgsta said:
If you dont drink it, then obviously you have no idea, so please shut up and go away.

Im going to have to look out for that James Squire Porter when Im at the international store next week.

If you like teh dark ales then yeah, definitley give it a go. Just go a single stubbie though in case you dont like, but has a definite nutty flavor and way superior to Tohheys Old or Carlton Black. In fact the only thing those two beers have in common are that they all look the same.

I had my 6th beer which was the Grolsch, but to be fair I hardly tasted it. By then Id had 1 can of Guiness, 3 cans of Jack Daniels and the 5 beers I tried to rate here.. so Im pretty ********ed. Must say the Grolsch came with teh best bottle and it held around 430 mls.

Im now on another JD and have just finished shaving my head... Jeez Im glad I dont have to work tomorrow:cool:

Borgsta said:

well i used to love drinking it, therefore my opinion is qualified.

coopers green and coopers red
boags
corona
carlton draught (for drinking pots)

carlton cold = the worst beer ever made, it is disgusting

Has anyone seen any of this beer around? :(

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=175126

Boag's Honey Porter - Limited Release Beer
LAUNCH DATE: 12 AUGUST 2003
J. Boag & Son will launch their 2003 limited release beer, Boag’s Honey Porter, on Tuesday, 12 August 2003.Master Brewer, John Hood, described the beer as unique because it combines the brand new Tasmanian Van Diemen hop variety with Tasmanian Golden Nectar Real Leatherwood Honey in a traditional porter brew.
John Hood explained "We chose to recreate the Porter using classical brewing techniques and ingredients, but through the addition of Stephens Leatherwood Honey and the new Van Diemen Hop, we have created something quite unique".

Over one and a half tonnes of Leatherwood Honey was used in the brewing of Boag’s Honey Porter, all of which was sourced from the Stephens family apiary of Mole Creek, Tasmania.
The honey, combined with the first ever use of the Van Diemen hop grown at Gunns Plains in Tasmania by Australian Hop Marketers, gives a strong Tasmanian flavour to the traditional Porter.The porter style of beer has a mysterious and elusive history. It was reputedly first brewed in London in the early 1700’s where it soon became the most popular beer in Great Britain. Its popularity was short lived though and the style all but disappeared by the end of the century.
J. Boag & Son’s Director of Sales and Marketing, Lyndon Adams, stated, "Boag’s Honey Porter is the type of product that builds Tasmania’s reputation as a producer of the highest quality food and beverage".
Boag’s Honey Porter will be available for purchase nationally from 12 August 2003.

I like
Coopers
Asahi
Tiger
James Squire Porters or Stouts
and Guinness! :D

You deserve to be banned if you had mentioned this drop because I found it it in my sister's fridge. ;)

pureblonde_narrowweb__200x564.jpg

cypher said:

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=175126

I like
Coopers
Asahi
Tiger
James Squire Porters or Stouts
and Guinness! :D

You deserve to be banned if you had mentioned this drop because I found it it in my sister's fridge. ;)

pureblonde_narrowweb__200x564.jpg

Hahahah, I wear a shirt with that label on it everyday, well at least for the next 6 weeks.

I dont understand your aversion to it Cypher as it tastes just like any other crappy macro beer, but helps keep you gut in check.

Is it the label, or the fact its low carbo that makes you angry? Because it cant be the taste as VB tastes far worse.

The Dice Man said:
Im now on another JD and have just finished shaving my head... Jeez Im glad I dont have to work tomorrow:cool:

Brave man shaving your head whilst hammered: blade or electric? Just remember bald is the new black.

As for beers, have you tried the Belgian Beer Cafe off St Kilda Rd? The dark Leff is a great beer.

I've been trying quite a few beers lately - mostly American, of course, and you'd be surprised how many good breweries are out there. It's not all Bud and Miller Lite as the snobs would have you believe!

Last night's brew was an Abita Amber. Abita is a New Orleans based brewery and they aren't bad. The amber is a little lagery but has still that caramel-type sweetness of an amber. Not a bad drop, though could have a little more kick.

The Dice Man said:
Hahahah, I wear a shirt with that label on it everyday, well at least for the next 6 weeks.

I dont understand your aversion to it Cypher as it tastes just like any other crappy macro beer, but helps keep you gut in check.

Is it the label, or the fact its low carbo that makes you angry? Because it cant be the taste as VB tastes far worse.
I must confess I haven't tried it, the low carbohydrate label turns me off it and the name makes it sound like a girls beer. And blondes aren't my type! :p

I now have to return to my local Dan Murphy outlet and buy the beers you tested. :)

copernicus said:
I've been trying quite a few beers lately - mostly American, of course, and you'd be surprised how many good breweries are out there. It's not all Bud and Miller Lite as the snobs would have you believe!

Last night's brew was an Abita Amber. Abita is a New Orleans based brewery and they aren't bad. The amber is a little lagery but has still that caramel-type sweetness of an amber. Not a bad drop, though could have a little more kick.

I've been having a few American beers lately aswell. Although I cant remember the name of any of them. I do remember 1 of them was from San Fran, ohhh the other was a Brooklyn Lager. Both were quite good.

nicky said:
well i used to love drinking it, therefore my opinion is qualified.

coopers green and coopers red
boags
corona
carlton draught (for drinking pots)

carlton cold = the worst beer ever made, it is disgusting

Not that I can understand how someone can go off beer but anyway you still have no right being in this thread.

TDM said:
This is designed not for the mass-produced and marketed Aussie beers, but more for the brews from foreign shores or Aussie Micro/Boutique breweries.

Now please add something useful or simply go away.

The Dice Man said:
3. James Squire, Porter beer made by The Malt Shovel Brewery in NSW. The label tells me it was a beer available to the first colonists, and says its actually the only beer that was available. Label makes me expect a chocolatey taste and at 5.0% Im happy with this choice.
This is my ''boutique'' beer of choice and it also comes in an ''Indian Pale'' which is presumed to be the beer of the Indian Colonies. I am not certain just by your description if the Porter is in the Porterhouse style but I drink an ''amber'' lager.

Nice read on the label and a nice beer to boot. The Indian pale was similar to a Coopers Sparkling Ale

Borgsta said:
I've been having a few American beers lately aswell. Although I cant remember the name of any of them. I do remember 1 of them was from San Fran, ohhh the other was a Brooklyn Lager. Both were quite good.

I would guess the San Fran brew was Anchor Steam? Does that sound right? Not a bad drop if that's the one you tried. I've tried the Brooklyn Brown Ale which is quite good, haven't had a go of the lager yet as it's not my favourite style.

cypher said:

It last came out last winter as a limited edition, with the time before that in 2003. Sensational beer I bought two small Richmond bottleshops out of it towards the end of the run. It cellars suprisingly well for a beer, but is that good when you first get it, it is lucky to last

Seems to be coming out every two years so we would be lucky to see it this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back