The Dice Man's 'Rate a Beer' Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I went to a beer tasting night on Friday night...sounds all very highbrow and tossy and some thought it that way in the way they carried on, but it was pretty cruisy to get a good mixed bag of beers.

13 samples of about 180-200 mls of different beers...

Here goes:
Tusker Lager from Kenya. Not too tasty and one could drink a heap of, but that said, not all that flash.
Knappstein Reserve Lager from the Clare Valley (yup, the winery also does a beer). A bit more bite, but more enjoyable - would definitely buy again.
Mac's Gold Lager from NZ. Clayton's beer - tasteless.
Gage Roads Lager from WA? This one we're told was supposed to smell like toffee apples - couldn't get the smell but got into the beer.
Outback Pale Ale from somewhere in oz...like Coopers? you'll like this, maybe even more so. Pretty good but didn't cream myself like of the highbrows did...
Erdinger Oktoberfest Weissbier from Deutschland - probably belonged a little higher up the list, but this went down alright. Pretty crisp.
Storm Cloudy Ale from Mildura Brewery...now we're talkin'. Only 4.5%, but a strong taste...one of my faves.
Hobgoblin from England...sweet, strong, tasty. I really enjoyed this - I dunno, think a not-so-creamy Caffreys and you might be there...
Green King Abbot Ale from England - they beat us in cricket, and I reckon on Friday they beat us in beer. This is Newcy Brun stuff, and reminded me why I enjoyed the Brown Ale the first time I tried it so long ago.
James Squire Amber Ale...is Malt Shovel Vic or NSW? anyway, I've had this before and enjoyed it, but after the last two it paled in comparison.
Leffe Brune from Belgium...it has that taste I can't pinpoint in Belgian ales, which is great, which is kind of sweet. I actually like this better than the Leffe Blond.
Weihenstephaner Dunkle from Deutschland again - I can't recall liking or disliking this one, so any comments I make are friggin useless.
3 Ravens Black from the home of the lesbian - Thornbury. Very nice to finish the night with a chocolatey, but not too thick, stout.

Ones I'd buy a 6 pack of - the Ravens, the Green King, the Storm Cloudy and the Knappstein.
One I wouldn't touch with any of your doodles - the Mac's.

I'm planning one of these myself sometime, they're hard work to organise but a good excuse to drink decent beer at my new crib:thumbsu:

The international beer festival in Melbourne should be coming up again soon. I didn't go last year as I had a weddiing on. Anyone go?

James Squire Amber Ale...is Malt Shovel Vic or NSW? anyway, I've had this before and enjoyed it, but after the last two it paled in comparison.

Do you think the taste of the James Squire's range has changed?

I recently had a both the Amber Ale and the Pilsener, after a few months without either, and they tasted nowhere near as good as they used to. Hard to put a finger on it now (a few weeks down the track), but they used to be standouts as far as domestic product was concerned, but that last time they weren't all that flash.

Do you think the taste of the James Squire's range has changed?

I recently had a both the Amber Ale and the Pilsener, after a few months without either, and they tasted nowhere near as good as they used to. Hard to put a finger on it now (a few weeks down the track), but they used to be standouts as far as domestic product was concerned, but that last time they weren't all that flash.

it has. they outsource most of the brewing now. only the amber has maintained any sort of form and even thats dropped off.

the beers i drank last night....

little creatures pale ale

emersons 1812 IPA

timothy taylor landlord pale ale

jennings sneck lifter

singha lion stout

coopers best extra stout

Was at a "do" at the National Gallery of Victoria last night lauching their new "Art of Bollywood" show and the Beer put on was an Indian larger "Maharajah" - was a very nice drop. anyway about 6 stubbies later I bumped into Mick Molloy and we had a very brief chat about the taste.

I asked him about how he thought he mighty tigers woulld go - I liked his reply - this will be our best 9th yet - funny guy.

The beer was good and it was free which helps. Anybody else had it?

Was at a "do" at the National Gallery of Victoria last night lauching their new "Art of Bollywood" show and the Beer put on was an Indian larger "Maharajah" - was a very nice drop. anyway about 6 stubbies later I bumped into Mick Molloy and we had a very brief chat about the taste.

I asked him about how he thought he mighty tigers woulld go - I liked his reply - this will be our best 9th yet - funny guy.

my local indian place sells it. its not the greatest beer ive had by a longshot, but for a stock standard lager, particularly of the indian variety, its not too bad.

Mick Molloy can often be seen lurking at the London Hotel prior to Richmond G'. games
A good tiger man.:thumbsu:

Sad news in relation to James Squire,diablo.

No new beers from me.:eek:

We received eight to ten inches of snow yesterday and it was pure joy relaxing afterwards with a Budweiser longneck; I had three. I am always impressed that Anheuser Busch can make such consistantly-fresh tasting beer of such quality... Must be God's help!

Hmmmm...Budweiser and taste. Aren't they mutually exclusive concepts?:cool:

Back on topic. Three more new ones tried and approved.

La Trappe Tripel - dutch beer, brewed Belgian trappist style, 8%. A lot of these Belgian ales have a very distinct, sweet taste, but they're so damn gooooood man. Drink on a full stomach with food, or you'll get your head knocked off!!:thumbsu:

La Fin du monde (end of the world in French) - another trappist style with high alcohol (8.5%) but a bit lighter in colour than the La Trappe. If the world is ending, savour a few of these babies before you go. 2.4 standard drinks in a standard stubby - this is where it's at:thumbsu:

Matilda Bay Barking Duck - part of a special release series they do (Summer they did a killer coffee beer called Crema) 5.5%, but only in 750 ml. If you like your wheat/white beers, this one won't let you down. A little bit fruity (think Hoegaarden White but not as extreme) but as a work colleague said - "it's like you're drinkin' f$%kin' flowers mate" Sweeeeet:thumbsu:

After a month using Stella as my 'staple beer' - have switched over to a 6 pack of Tuborg Pilsner tonight.

Haven't had a sip of Tuborg for more than a decade. And priced at a ridiculously low $11.99 per six pack at Dan Murphy's - very unlikely my next tipple on this brew will be very far away.

After a month using Stella as my 'staple beer' - have switched over to a 6 pack of Tuborg Pilsner tonight.

Haven't had a sip of Tuborg for more than a decade. And priced at a ridiculously low $11.99 per six pack at Dan Murphy's - very unlikely my next tipple on this brew will be very far away.

good brew at a very good price.

a word of advice...if anyones in vintage cellars or first choice and see the MAC's beers from NZ, unless its the black, leave it alone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For the Melburnians, there's a microbreweries showcase @ Fed Square tomorrow from 12 - 6pm. I was there tonight, and took for granted how much 20 samples of all sorts of beers can smack you around when you have just exercised for 45 minutes and your guts is empty.

The deal - $20 for 20 samples. Want more? Buy another card...share with a mate etc etc. There's some funky beer up for tasting and if the opportunity presents itself, go and try. Lots of "beer tosser" types there, but go taste the stuff, enjoy it, and sample the good gear Vic has to offer!

I suppose I've been a beer dilletante all my life. Jumping from one brightly coloured label to the next, specially in recent years where my internet millions allow me to indulge myself.

Finally I have found a beer I cannot get away from. Coopers Pale Ale.

Close the thread.

I suppose I've been a beer dilletante all my life. Jumping from one brightly coloured label to the next, specially in recent years where my internet millions allow me to indulge myself.

Close the thread.

If you like this - try the red duck pale ale i have mentioned here - i swear you will never go back.

Close the thread.

we could close the thread except the sparkling ****s all over the pale.

heading into the city this evening to polish off a plethora of quality english ales at the charles dickens :D

Has anyone been to the James Squire Malthouse(??) on Russell St.? It's the starting point for a work colleague's buck's night...I just hope they've got their full range for sale before we all go and see...well...boobies:D :D

Has anyone been to the James Squire Malthouse(??) on Russell St.? It's the starting point for a work colleague's buck's night...I just hope they've got their full range for sale before we all go and see...well...boobies:D :D

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Beer and Boobies mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Win win, beer tastes better, boobies look better

I liked the Coopers Pakle Ale Chief, but Ive only ever had it once. I broke out in Hives the very next day, and yeast being one of the main causes of Hives, well its fair to say Im ****scared of trying it again :(

That's pretty strange. I'm pretty sure all coopers beers are brewed with Saccharomyces cerevisiae, which is a very type of yeast used in beer brewing.

Close the thread.

4063.jpg

Coopers Extra Strong Vintage Ale, Limited Addtion

Everyone should try this beer before they die. The best beer made in Australia bar none. I challenge anyone to prove different, it can't be done. The only problem is they are expensive and very high %. You could drink 1 or 2 in a night and that's it, you're wasting it if you drink more cos you're pissed and bloated.

For the best beer in the world I give you:

bleue.jpg

Chimay: Grande Reserve, Blue Lable, Tripple Brewed

I'd like to point out that this isn't opinion. These are THE best beers made in Australia and world wide respectively. And I base this on the fact that every person I have had this discussion with has been utterly convinced when they actually try these beers. They cost a bit, but I recommend everyone trying these beers at least once.

You're pretty much on-the-ball drew_j - them's some quality beers.

Just got back from Broome and went to Matso's Brewery - their standout drops are the Smokey Bishop (Dark Lager with a killer caramel aftertaste) and a sweet Wheat Beer called Monsoonal Blonde. Only downside is they're not yet able to distribute their stuff (they're still figuring out the "getting their preservative-free gear into bottles" process) so we may not see it over "East" for a while.

Also tried the James Squire Hop Thief and the Jarrah Jacks' (another WA beer) Pale Ale & Wheat Beer over Easter. Source the Hop Thief if you can as it's pretty hard to come by, and the Pale Ale is one to easily sit down and enjoy four or five of in a relaxed sitting.

Last but not least the Mountain Goat IPA (may have mentioned this one already) - two of these yesterday @ lunch before having the James Squire IPA, and it's a very clean and crisp drop (enjoyed it more than the Squire, which was a bit bitter).

No wonder I stacked on 4 kgs in the past week!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back