rick James

Cancelled
Suspended
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 8, 2004
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
You can go to Edithvale or Mentone in summer and see a large group of Italians or Greeks at the beach, and yet have very little in the way of trouble or angst?

And certainly none racially based.

What's the difference? Lebanese culture is the difference. IT simply isn't compatible.

Not saying we can do anything about it, stopping immigration would be detrimental to our nation. I just think we shouldn't live in delusion that Lebz are actually compatible with the Australians. And no, Lebz are not Australians, you can't be both.

Z_K

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts North Melbourne - North 2008 Player Sponsor
Feb 21, 2002
Geelong
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
none
Shouldn't you be on the General Board pwning people and starting threads on rappers who shoot each other? Nah, seriously, someone just 'dissed Biggie on the Music board.

You are of poor quality.

bigdadymac

Team Captain
Suspended
Aug 30, 2005
H-TOWN
Other Teams
Richmond
NorthBhoy said:
Shouldn't you be on the General Board pwning people and starting threads on rappers who shoot each other? Nah, seriously, someone just 'dissed Biggie on the Music board.

You are of poor quality.

and by generalising your name i bet your a stupid indian ;)

spoljar

Team Captain
Oct 5, 2004
Lynbrook
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
I guess the interesting question regarding all groups is what they consider themselves nationality wise as.
If you asked a Greek, Italian, Croatian or Lebanese on the street as to what they are, would most say they were Australian or would most say they are Italian for example! In my experience, the latter is certainly more common. In this is regardless of the fact they may have been born here or become an Australian citizen!
I wonder for example how many Croatians will be supporting Australia or Croatia in next years world cup!
My point is that I think all cultures in some ways conflict with 'Australian' culture and it does not always have to do with violence or trouble!

May 16, 2001
Brisbane
Silly bigoted thread.

I have two mates who are Lebanese, plus the wife of another bloke I know is Lebanese and they are all good people.

Hence, Lebanese culture is not automatically the problem. Lebanese culture is not intrinsically incompatible with the Australian way of life.

Try again.

rick James

Cancelled
Suspended
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 8, 2004
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Appleyard said:
Silly bigoted thread.

I have two mates who are Lebanese, plus the wife of another bloke I know is Lebanese and they are all good people.

Hence, Lebanese culture is not automatically the problem. Lebanese culture is not intrinsically incompatible with the Australian way of life.

Try again.

How old are your friends? do they live in Lebanese areas?

rick James

Cancelled
Suspended
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 8, 2004
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
My point is that many Lebanese born people, ditch Lebanese culture and take on australian culture. I've found those that are isolated from Lebanese dominated areas tend to do it.

It's those that refuse to take on Australian culture, what little of it there is, that are incompatible.

bigdadymac

Team Captain
Suspended
Aug 30, 2005
H-TOWN
Other Teams
Richmond
Appleyard said:
Silly bigoted thread.

Try again.

i have allot more mates who are Lebanese, both born here and OS, and they are very nice to me because im very nice to them, but at the same time they are some of the meanest, hardest, most violent ppl i know...Im talking about ppl aged between 19 and 25....and their mates are no better, this is melbourne though, i can only imagine what Sydney is like.....

i love all ppl, although at times i can come accross incredibly racist, i only attack race when i wanna really hurt someone, deep and emotionally, feel free to call me week, those who know me will laugh at you

Z_K

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts North Melbourne - North 2008 Player Sponsor
Feb 21, 2002
Geelong
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
none
My point is that many Lebanese born people, ditch Lebanese culture and take on australian culture.

I don't follow.

I've found those that are isolated from Lebanese dominated areas tend to do it.

Do what?

It's those that refuse to take on Australian culture, what little of it there is, that are incompatible

Expain to me what the 'Australian Culture' consists of. What if I don't comply to you complex grading system?

Your speaking rubbish. Go away.

spoljar

Team Captain
Oct 5, 2004
Lynbrook
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Mr Q said:

I am staggered as to how many people that I have spoken to don't even know where Lebanon is. I had one idiot at work who thought that Lebanon was in Israel! :eek: Another bloke keeps telling me the 'Brickie in Beirut' line all the time and still thinks that there is a civil war there despite the fact it ended about 15 years ago!

PIE-BOI

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Real Madrid
Baby Blue said:
Difference betweenn the three, souvlaki v kebab v pizza.
Italians (Pizza) Greeks (Souvlaki) Lebs ( Kebabs, even though it originated from Turkey ).

But they all say "Fulli sik Bro" haha.

OldLion

Club Legend
Oct 18, 2000
Melbourne - 3078 Lions
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
spoljar said:
..If you asked a Greek, Italian, Croatian or Lebanese on the street as to what they are, would most say they were Australian or would most say they are Italian for example! In my experience, the latter is certainly more common. In this is regardless of the fact they may have been born here or become an Australian citizen!
I wonder for example how many Croatians will be supporting Australia or Croatia in next years world cup!
My point is that I think all cultures in some ways conflict with 'Australian' culture and it does not always have to do with violence or trouble!
Growing up in North Geelong in the 50's and 60's, the Serb / Croat hatred was pretty strong, esp. with war criminals swanning around the high street. They even had a Croat training ground in the You Yangs to train young lads to return to their homeland tooled up. It was all a little alien to me, until I made friends with some blokes with Serbian backgrounds whose parents lived in constant fear. My main beef was with Aussies who felt that England was the font of all wisdom and their own country was inferior and their countrymen uncouth yobs - snobs who were dumbfounded when Labor got in in 72 and spent every waking minute trying to zap them.

carlyp

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 19, 2002
In sin............. ;-)
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
The West Coast Eagles
spoljar said:
I guess the interesting question regarding all groups is what they consider themselves nationality wise as.
If you asked a Greek, Italian, Croatian or Lebanese on the street as to what they are, would most say they were Australian or would most say they are Italian for example! In my experience, the latter is certainly more common. In this is regardless of the fact they may have been born here or become an Australian citizen!

Interesting point you make.

I know I have always said Im Australian with Croatian blood running proudly through my veins. I also know though that there are ALOT of people within the Croatian community that I know will say their Croatian before Australian. Most of them will follow both Australia and Croatia at the world cup next year however when the two teams line up to one another I think they'll support Croatia because they would be considered to have the better chance of going furthest in the competition.

I'll be going for Australia and if and when they get knocked out I'll go for Croatia. But I agree with your sentiments, many Australians of Croat background will support Croatia before they back the socceroos.

I think its because they've probably always felt different from your average Aussie. Their name is different and it gets mispronounced so thats the first thing because I believe your name is one of the first identifiers when people meet you and so forth. If I were to say to you...My name is Vesna Djakic...you would think....she's croatian. If I said my name is Jane Smith then you wouldnt think anything of my nationality would you?

Arcadion

Premiership Player
Feb 19, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I have a greek appearance which is mostly mistaken for countries from about 4 different continents :confused:. However I was born here, and so was my father. My mother was born in England. Next time someone asks me where I'm from I'm going to say Australia, and then ask them where they are from.

carlyp

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 19, 2002
In sin............. ;-)
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
The West Coast Eagles
OldLion said:
Growing up in North Geelong in the 50's and 60's, the Serb / Croat hatred was pretty strong, esp. with war criminals swanning around the high street. They even had a Croat training ground in the You Yangs to train young lads to return to their homeland tooled up. It was all a little alien to me, until I made friends with some blokes with Serbian backgrounds whose parents lived in constant fear. My main beef was with Aussies who felt that England was the font of all wisdom and their own country was inferior and their countrymen uncouth yobs - snobs who were dumbfounded when Labor got in in 72 and spent every waking minute trying to zap them.

Interesting post Old Lion. I know Geelong has a big or atleast strong Croatian background. Infact most of the croatian families from Launceston that I knew as a kid have ended up in Geelong.

I know what you mean about fear. My grandmother till this day fears that my cousins and I will get locked up or jailed when we go to Melbourne to hang around with our croatian cousins over there. Or worse, will end up in some fight with a serb! My family tends to have a thing for big drinking and we certainly get into it when were together. I know Serbs do the same thing, its a favourite way to spend time with your family! :p

My dads generation were in their early 20s as Gough Whitlam was elected in 1972. I know this was a time when Whitlam locked up Croatians who the government deemed to be hotheads. IIRC he was even one of the first Western Leaders to start up diplomatic talks and the like with Yugoslavia, correct me if Im wrong.

Certainly a lot of fear in both Croatian and Serb communities to this day, granted its not as bad as it was in the old days, but its still preety bad!

May 16, 2001
Brisbane
bigdadymac said:
i have allot more mates who are Lebanese, both born here and OS, and they are very nice to me because im very nice to them, but at the same time they are some of the meanest, hardest, most violent ppl i know
I know a few Australians who are the meanest, hardest, most violent people. A few Croatians too. Couple of rough Vietnamese guys. A few bad Greeks.

I think it is more the thuggish mentality rather than an intrinsic incompatibility with "Australian culture".

mick ryan

Club Legend
Suspended
Sep 26, 2003
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Appleyard said:
I know a few Australians who are the meanest, hardest, most violent people. A few Croatians too. Couple of rough Vietnamese guys. A few bad Greeks.

I'm happy to bet that none of them are Muslims and I wont be surprised if the Lebanese friends you have that you mentioned in an earlier post aren't either.

Oct 8, 2005
West Lakes
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
spoljar said:

Precisely, i could not have said it better myself. I go to a school with a multi-cultral community, it is not seen as 'cool' to be Australian, if you want to fit in, you should be Italian, Greek or Lebanese. Students with grandparents from other countries don't consider themselves to be Australian, and i have had numerous arguments regarding this, yet many will not accept that they are Australians with a cultal heratige from another country.

Anyway, each to their own, i don't see people from other races any differently, race does not make or define a person.

Im The Gun

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2004
around
AFL Club
Collingwood
The main difference is that Greeks & Italians want to live in Australia under Australian laws and love our way of life, they mix with Australian's, they want their kids to and they great people.
Lebanese (and I went to school with a lot of them) don't, they hate Australia's, they hate our way of life and they don't want to live here under our laws, they even think they're above the law in most cases.

I remember one kid in school saying to a female teacher "If you were in my country they'll f***ing kill you, you are a whore"
He got away with it because what could she do, kick him out of class? report him to someone higher? everytime they tried that his dad would come down and swear that his kid didn't say it and that they were "out for him"

Plus Greek or Italians wouldn't bash a life saver for no reason

Sep 26, 2001
Deledio Wonderland
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Southampton
Im The Gun said:
The main difference is that Greeks & Italians want to live in Australia under Australian laws and love our way of life, they mix with Australian's, they want their kids to and they great people.
Lebanese (and I went to school with a lot of them) don't, they hate Australia's, they hate our way of life and they don't want to live here under our laws, they even think they're above the law in most cases.

The main difference is that the Greek and Italians mostly migrated here in the 1950s and are 2nd and 3rd generation.

The Lebanese who came at the same time are similarly commited to Australia, such as Steve Bracks or the NSW Governer.

The Lebanese immigrants from the 1980s and 1990s are 30-40 years further back down the line on the assimilation track.

rick James

Cancelled
Suspended
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 8, 2004
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Weaver said:
The main difference is that the Greek and Italians mostly migrated here in the 1950s and are 2nd and 3rd generation.

The Lebanese who came at the same time are similarly commited to Australia, such as Steve Bracks or the NSW Governer.

The Lebanese immigrants from the 1980s and 1990s are 30-40 years further back down the line on the assimilation track.

Disagree, there were never race riots occuring as a result of italian immigration, nor Greeks. This is far worse than that.

Back