The difference it makes. Drafting SA kids.

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm not talking about drafting inferior SA kids over better interstate ones.
I'm talking about finally getting the opportunity to get a haul of talented SA kids into the club and the difference it makes to the culture.

We have RT, a fanatic Crows fan who is rapt to be able to play for the club and feels he is making his grand mother proud.

Luke Pedler said to Hamish after we drafted him, that all he wanted to do was play for us, even though he wasn't a Crows fan.

Brayden Cook also a lifelong Crows fan who is over joyed he can play for us.

We all saw how emotional James Rowe was by being drafted to the club loved and who his dad played for.

Then we look at our best SA draft pick the year before in Harry, and after one great year he re-signs for another two years.

Add to that Hatley wanting to come back and play for us, and we have a situation where we won't have to worry too much about will they stay or will they go.
Compare Harry re-signing with the two Vic kids we took in Fisher and Worrell. Both haven't re-signed yet, Fisher has met with St Kilda already, Worrell was thinking of leaving end of last year, and so it goes in.

I hope the club continues trying to get their hands on the best local kids, and trying to get other home like Rankine and Jack.

It's a much better feeling.

jimvic

Senior List
Jul 11, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm talking about finally getting the opportunity to get a haul of talented SA kids into the club and the difference it makes to the culture.

We have RT, a fanatic Crows fan who is rapt to be able to play for the club and feels he is making his grand mother proud.

Luke Pedler said to Hamish after we drafted him, that all he wanted to do was play for us, even though he wasn't a Crows fan.

We all saw how emotional James Rowe was by being drafted to the club loved and who his dad played for.

Then we look at our best SA draft pick the year before in Harry, and after one great year he re-signs for another two years.

Add to that Hatley wanting to come back and play for us, and we have a situation where we won't have to worry too much about will they stay or will they go.
Compare Harry re-signing with the two Vic kids we took in Fisher and Worrell. Both haven't re-signed yet, Fisher has met with St Kilda already, Worrell was thinking of leaving end of last year, and so it goes in.

I hope the club continues trying to get their hands on the best local kids, and trying to get other home like Rankine and Jack.

How do we know Fisher has met with St Kilda? Was it in a cafe on Henley Beach?

Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Legs, Wests Tigers

Good post - I'm with you completely (except the Fish and Worrall comments - way to early to read anything into either of those).

Having a really solid base of quality SA lads playing for us is really important to me. Very much changes how I see the club and the level of investment I have tbh

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
And lets hope we can add another this year in Jason Horne and who knows..if we do more wheeling and dealing by letting a player leave, maybe another top young SA kid like an Arlo Draper might be then an option for us as well in that draft
Horne and Will Verrall (the next year I think) would be perfect.

Jirkago75

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
I mentioned this in the draft thread of last year and Brett Cummings laughed me down 😂. Anyone seen him lately??

pick The best but if the SA boys is close or on par talent wise, we pick them

rocket18

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Goody Saints
Good post but it hasn't helped how s**t the SANFL elite junior development has been for the last 15 years, it's really only been the last few years we are seeing some decent numbers of good local lads come through - has been very slim pickings.

You just need to look at the (hypothetical) SA State of Origin team to see the wasteland that has been our elite juniors.

Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Glenelg, tigers
I mentioned this in the draft thread of last year and Brett Cummings laughed me down 😂. Anyone seen him lately??

pick The best but if the SA boys is close or on par talent wise, we pick them
Anyone seen Brett??

Thankfully no is the answer to that.

What a moron that bloke was, abusing anyone who dared say we should/could/might take RT at our first pick..

He disapeared from this site about 5 minutes after we picked RT... same with Faith, although I reacon faith is still here but under another user name.. which is piss weak considering he has reneged on a bet over it too. Doesnt get much lower than that.

Didnt Brett say he was gonna go support GWS (or was it GCS??) if the crows picked RT with their first?...

Aug 21, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Anyone seen Brett??

What a moron that bloke was, abusing anyone who dared say we should/could/might take RT at our first pick..

He disapeared from this site about 5 minutes after we picked RT... same with Faith, although I reacon faith is still here but under another user name.. which is piss weak considering he has reneged on a bet over it too. Doesnt get much lower than that.

Didnt Brett say he was gonna go support GWS (or was it GCS??) if the crows picked RT with their first?...

Brett/mick500 was simultaneously one of the worst yet most entertaining posters around.

Carmo

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
What we need is the AFL to permit trading of picks two years out. The ability to trade next years picks has helped us bigtime. We could start getting decent value for the players we were losing.

Clubs are starting to get stingy again, recieving club not playing the game, so its probably time to do a change up in the system to get it back fair again.

Perhaps put the 2 years out first rounder off the table but even extra seconds and thirds are useful. I think that's what will help us with our great talent id, not getting real high picks but getting 3 to 5 goes between 15 and 40, whereas before we'd be lucky to get two. We did good with late picks and I see us keeping things ticking over with those, but its those second and third round choices that will really help us.

Sep 10, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings
I'd love nothing more than to draft/recruit a large contingent of SA players who no one really knows, who go about their business quietly and get no respect from the Victorian media, until we sneak up and grab a flag.

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Anyone seen Brett??

“Brett” and thicky Micky500 were the same person; however it looks suspiciously like they might also been a third person who disappeared after a bet;

BrissyCrow

Premium Platinum
Mar 20, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg & Most Other Tiger Teams
I have said in previous years that the draft should allow all the teams to nominate (in order of how they finish the year) a local player that must then be selected as their first pick. So lets sat Adelaide finish 10th and port finish top. That would mean Adelaide would be able to nominate a SA player first and then Port could nominate a player second. Once all the trading is done and the final draft order is finalised the player that Adelaide nominates must be their first selection. So lets say we end up with our first pick being pick 20 our nominated player would be picked with that selection. Even if Port has pick 10 they cant touch him. This process would apply to all other teams including the Victorian clubs. Naturally it means that the 10 best players available in Victoria would become the property of the 10 Vic clubs.

This process would ensure that there is still some semblance of the BEST local players remain in their states. It has the added benefit of helping to reduce the the number of players returning to their home states. It could also help reduce the amount of money that is being used to keep interstate players.

One issue is that clubs in Qld who have to contend with a strong NRL competition that attracts most of the youth, might struggle to have the same level of skilled players to nominate from.

Anyway I think its worth looking into.

mistylake

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Canadiens, Maroons.

Wow that would make us almost like a state team born of the SANFL. Who would have thought that a good idea.
We and Port Adelaide should have first right of refusal (of local talent) along with all states at each draft. The passion has almost completely died from the game with drafting non locals. There has to be a better way than the current s**t system.

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Wow that would make us almost like a state team born of the SANFL. Who would have thought that a good idea.
We and Port Adelaide should have first right of refusal (of local talent) along with all states at each draft. The passion has almost completely died from the game with drafting non locals. There has to be a better way than the current sh*t system.
When we won our two flags there was a SA vs Vic feeling to it. It was like a state or origin game.
We had the pick of the best SA talent and managed to get alot back from interstate.
I think we need to get back to that "them vs us" feeling.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
When we won our two flags there was a SA vs Vic feeling to it. It was like a state or origin game.
We had the pick of the best SA talent and managed to get alot back from interstate.
I think we need to get back to that "them vs us" feeling.
That is largely because of who ran our club, a bunch of SANFL people.

Blight actually wasn't like that at all.

Back