The difficulty in getting good assistant coaches to South Australia...

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
Read into it? Isn't that exactly what assuming Francou left to be friends with Dew is? There is no information whatsoever to support that assumption

The facts are he had the opportunity to join Dew at the Gold Coast instead of taking up a contract at the Crows. He did not. That suggests his friendship with Dew is not the reason he chose to break a contract with us, because he could have done it a year earlier.

Francou even quit, citing a loss of passion and wanting to become a teacher. Then he joined Gold Coast much later. You don't think that's suspicious at all?
Not particularly no, but then again I'm not all about running around looking for opportunities to sink the slipper into the club off the back of no concrete evidence to support my assumptions.

It shouldn't have been hard for us to attract coaches given we played in a Grand Final in 2017. It should have been a prime opportunity for aspiring coaches from anywhere to come join a "successful" system, work towards premierships and improve resumes for future head coaching jobs.

I can totally understand Port not being able to attract anyone because they've haven't been as close to success in recent years and that hurts your ability to sell yourself as a destination club.

However given it's a challenge for us to attract talent as well I have to wonder, is it really just the location factor, or an issue with us being unwilling to pay?

There are plenty of Victorian coaches currently toiling away at clubs in Sydney, Brisbane and Perth. I'd love to see us target a guy like Luke Hodge, I mean we sort of did that with O'Keefe but it didn't work out.

CrowInFiji

Club Legend
Sep 29, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
As others have said, throw the moNey around.

Uprooting for 5 years is not easy and desirable but if the money is soo good it becomes easier to put up with a little hardship like being in Adelaide.

I just fear how many zeroes are needed for someone to put up with seeing Brett Burtons smug face on the daily.

Morning_Fog

Premiership Player
Jun 24, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
David Teague came and left when opportunity opened up. Used us a vehicle to gain a greater job in Melbourne
Darren Milburn was the same.

Money doesn’t work as they just leave at first chance.

David Teague came and left when opportunity opened up. Used us a vehicle to gain a greater job in Melbourne

I'd rather have Milburn and Teague for a few seasons than have Hart or Campo on the panel at all

maxlilly

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2009
over here
AFL Club
Adelaide
Why would you come to Adelaide as assistant when you have the permanent road block to your coaching advancement that is Campo.
You wont be able to get past being just a line coach at AFC

maxlilly

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2009
over here
AFL Club
Adelaide

Isn't Teague still the forward line coach at Carlton as he was at the Crows.
That doesn't sound like a better job

Morning_Fog

Premiership Player
Jun 24, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
It's funny how all the non-SA and/or non-Crows-affiliated coaches have generally been pretty good.

Just look their football mentor and major influencers have been?

Neil Craig. He didn’t exactly build a football program build on a positive approach to the game. He created a negative environment that didn’t allow them to play with flair or instinct. They were robots were could not think for themselves.

mattymac

Why no midfield crowz?
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2009
Yes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
No

That's how it's supposed to work with assistants. It's not supposed to be a job for life.

You rotate them so you have new ideas and IP coming through the door and stale voices going out.

Dank Academy

All Australian
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Why would you come to Adelaide as assistant when you have the permanent road block to your coaching advancement that is Campo.
You wont be able to get past being just a line coach at AFC

You’ve nailed one of two key issues IMO. The reasons an assistant coach would consider a move to SA are:

a) the money outweighs the inconvenience of moving
b) the opportunity for professional development

AFC don’t really offer either of those.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
I was having a discussion earlier today with someone about the Assistant Coaches. Not just at our club but as Port as well.

This is the collective list of Assistant/Development Coaches at both clubs.

Vossy
Chad Cornes
Nathan Basset
Dean Brogan
Scott Thompson
Stuart Cochrane
Paul Stewart
Ben Hart
Campo
Mick Godden
Marty Mattner
Trent Hentchel
Brett Montgomery
Jarrod Schoefield
Heath Younie,
Brent Reily,
Paul Thomas
Matthew Wright
Matthew Lokan

One thing that really stands out is that all but Vossy either played for one of the two AFL clubs or played/coached in the SANFL.

There are calls for "Jobs for the Boys" on here often in regards to our coaching group. And yes this is often correct.

However what concerns me is the ability to lure decent assistants to SA and more importantly us, when there are 10 AFL clubs in Victoria. It seems both clubs can only attract Assistant Coaches who have lived here before.

I feel this is starting to become an issue. Especially after seeing Teague leave us to go home to Carlton and us replace him with Francou and then Ben Hart.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

To get coaches on an upward trajectory here there needs to be a perceived career path or experience dividend. We offer neither of those things. “Worked under Pyke”, “worked alongside Campo”, “highly regarded in a Brett Burton led footy dept” are all meaningless to a coach who wants to develop into a senior role and is looking for a gig that helps him get there.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
To get coaches on an upward trajectory here there needs to be a perceived career path or experience dividend. We offer neither of those things. “Worked under Pyke”, “worked alongside Campo”, “highly regarded in a Brett Burton led footy dept” are all meaningless to a coach who wants to develop into a senior role and is looking for a gig that helps him get there.
I agree

And two of the three South Aussies with Pyke being at our club in the early 2000s under Craigy.

All of them had lived in SA before their current them.

As had Sando, as had Walshy.....

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
I agree

And two of the three South Aussies with Pyke being at our club in the early 2000s under Craigy.

All of them had lived in SA before their current them.

As had Sando, as had Walshy.....

It’s not that, put another way. 2 things entice quality coaches, the challenge or the program. We provide neither. Our program is stale, mediocre and unimaginative. There’s no challenge because we don’t bottom out and we don’t allow senior coaches to start from scratch which allows assistant to ride the wave. It’s not an SA thing, it’s an AFC thing.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
It’s not that, put another way. 2 things entice quality coaches, the challenge or the program. We provide neither. Our program is stale, mediocre and unimaginative. There’s no challenge because we don’t bottom out and we don’t allow senior coaches to start from scratch which allows assistant to ride the wave. It’s not an SA thing, it’s an AFC thing.
I understand with what you are saying.

It is part of the AFC culture to pretty much recruit South Aussies or people who have lived here before.

That means you are not getting the best people in the industry and as we are seeing now, we are falling behind.

Coincidentally Port have a similar history.

I understand with what you are saying.

It is part of the AFC culture to pretty much recruit South Aussies or people who have lived here before.

That means you are not getting the best people in the industry and as we are seeing now, we are falling behind.

Coincidentally Port have a similar history.

I'm surprised we're not actually using the SANFL as a breeding ground for coaches more often (I'm aware we've done it this year). It would be a creative way around the potential roadblock that the vast majority just won't relocate here.

That and recruiting people to take a coaching role in 2-3 years.

Back