picks1and2

Senior List
Mar 27, 2009
fairfield
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
dallas cowboys
Exactly what we need a clearance machine, I can't believe we're going to get this kid and then we even have the next pick after to get another gun.

Awesome.
yeah it's awesome. but i'd rather have beaten richmond for the extra win so i could be excited for maybe .............1 hour. rather than having two ****ing guns in the team. wins>>>>>>>>>>>>>>picks:rolleyes: damn you bailey

Trav 20

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Idiots get ignored
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Dees
Pick 2 = Butcher.

You won't get another quality KPP like Butcher in the 2010 + 2011 draft with all the picks goes to GC and WS. Chances of getting another quality midfielder equivalent to Trengrove during these 2 years draft is much higher than Butcher.

Butcher :D

So you want to pick for type as opposed to 'best available'.

Thankfully you're not in charge.

Wonaeamirri33

Lovable Whore With A Heart Of Gold
10k Posts Bay 13: Flog of the Year Chocolate Artist Ruby
May 10, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
FITZROY, Aylesbury United, St Pauli
Not so much "Anti-Priority Pick", just against the depths to which we had to sink to get it and with such a s**t system that forced our hand.

Amen to that Dez - always agreed with you on that point mate.

Aug 24, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Melbourne
Amen to that Dez - always agreed with you on that point mate.

Hey Dez & Wona33...you two still going on about tanking.

Move on brothers...we got the 2 first picks...and who cares how we got them.

Roll on 2010.

When Scully , Butcher or Trengrove or whoever are spliitingpacks in 2010 and beyond...are you both still going to be posting on "tanking".

Give it a rest man.

KTLK

Team Captain
Sep 10, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
So you want to pick for type as opposed to 'best available'.

Thankfully you're not in charge.

Obviously, you don't understand the concept of "best available needs". That is, KPP FF kicking bags.

I'm sorry to say that I am not oppossing to best available. As mentioned, I am happy with Trengrove. However, if I have the choice, I am in favour of Butcher simply because of "Quality Needs".

Jul 14, 2007
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Obviously, you don't understand the concept of "best available needs". That is, KPP FF kicking bags.

Your concept of "best available needs" isn't a good one, for instance this draft doesn't seem to have many Key Position Defenders. Should Hawthorn use their first pick on a Key Position Defender even if there are 20+ players that are better than this KPD because he's the best KPD?

You don't address needs with first round picks, you address the best talent and whether that is Trengove or Butcher remains to be seen but BP will pick what he believes is the best young talent regardless of position.

If he picks Butcher it won't be because he's a KPF but because BP believes he's the best available talent after Scully.

If he picks Trengove it's because he believes he's the next best available talent after Scully.

Needs plays no role in the first round.

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne

I'm sorry to say that I am not oppossing to best available. As mentioned, I am happy with Trengrove. However, if I have the choice, I am in favour of Butcher simply because of "Quality Needs".
I'd agree with you if we were the Western Bulldogs or Geelong, but even though we have some quality players heading toward the midfield and will add Scully with pick 1, our midfield isn't a certainty to become one of the top 4 midfields - which is what you need to win a flag.

Riewoldt is a great player, and Geelong have a sensational defence, but is it a surprise that the two teams who have booked prelim spots have:

Ablett, Selwood, Corey, Bartel, Ling - 4 A graders plus a gun tagger
and
Hayes, Dal Santo, Montagna, Goddard - 4 A graders

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Pick 2 = Butcher.

You won't get another quality KPP like Butcher in the 2010 + 2011 draft with all the picks goes to GC and WS. Chances of getting another quality midfielder equivalent to Trengrove during these 2 years draft is much higher than Butcher.

Butcher :D

I agree that it would be great if the second best player was a tall, pack marking forward, and even if it was nearly the second best player - we might take it. But surely by now we have to consider that Butcher just hasnt done enough since last year to be worthy of the second pick. See the article below - he wont get to play again this year (I was hoping he would have a big TAC Cup finals campaign and put his name back up there), it looks as though he was quiet on the big stage again;

http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnew...s-draft-billing/2009/09/05/1252001287392.html

I know he'll probably be a decent player, but he hasnt done enough to pass up on Trengove who seems likely to be a star.

Andy_Mac

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 24, 2009
Torquay
AFL Club
Melbourne
Following on from the talk on TAC future stars about Morabito having grown. I had him listed at 192cm and 93kg's?

If he's grown he could very easily be a KPF! And at 93kg's, a big pre-season he'd be a very nice 96-97 kegs.

Interesting...

cannons

Premiership Player
Jun 1, 2005
Location, Location
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal
Following on from the talk on TAC future stars about Morabito having grown. I had him listed at 192cm and 93kg's?

If he's grown he could very easily be a KPF! And at 93kg's, a big pre-season he'd be a very nice 96-97 kegs.

Interesting...

I think he meant he'd grown between last year's championships and this year's championships, not since the championships.

May 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/84331/default.aspx

Nice wrap up of where the draft is currently at.

I'm leaning towards Trengrove, give me a gun midfield with plenty of depth please.

Draft selections already decided (ahead of the official trade period)

First round
1. Melbourne
2. Melbourne
3. Richmond
4. Fremantle
5. North Melbourne
6. Sydney Swans
7. West Coast
8. Port Adelaide
9. Hawthorn
10. Essendon
11. Carlton

Second round
18. Melbourne
19. Richmond
20. Fremantle
21. North Melbourne
22. Sydney Swans
23. West Coast
24. Port Adelaide
25. Hawthorn
26. Essendon
27. Carlton

Third round
34. Melbourne
35. Richmond
36. Fremantle
37. North Melbourne
38. Sydney Swans
39. West Coast
40. Port Adelaide
41. Hawthorn
42. Essendon
43. Carlton

I'm not sold on jetta,
hasnt done anything yet.
And if he turns out to be like Essendon's Jetta, i wont be happy at all.

Where have you been watching? Jetta's last few weeks were fantastic imo. He's developing into a very classy player, imo. That being said... he's already better then Essendon's Jetta so... relax ;)

Jul 14, 2007
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Where have you been watching? Jetta's last few weeks were fantastic imo. He's developing into a very classy player, imo. That being said... he's already better then Essendon's Jetta so... relax ;)

Well he couldn't be worse really.

Started off sluggish but Nev improved dramatically over the course of the season, his aggression for a little bloke is something to love about him.

His tackle on Sandilands was brilliant, he tackles like an indigenous Junior McDonald.

Wonaeamirri33

Lovable Whore With A Heart Of Gold
10k Posts Bay 13: Flog of the Year Chocolate Artist Ruby
May 10, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
FITZROY, Aylesbury United, St Pauli
Yeah... hopefully he continues to improve his ball-use too...

deledio7

Premiership Player
Sep 12, 2007
Yeah.
AFL Club
Richmond
Geez it's a great problem to have. Both Trengove and Butcher will be guns and will improve Melbourne greatly.

Although Trengove sounds great, the proposition of having a forward line consisting of Watts, Jurrah and Butcher seems to good to pass up.

Don't be disheartened about Butchers performances. He should be on the sidelines with Koby Stevens. When he's been fit there hasn't been a doubt on him. Most had him challenging Scully for the number 1 pick early in the year when fit.

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Ive moved on from Butcher. Im starting to think he could slide down the order more than people are expecting. I am tossing up between Trengove and Morabito with a slight preference still towards Trengove.

If Morabito has grown to 192cm plus and still growing, he really will be an Adam Goodes clone. We would put him in the midfield or use him as a KP forward.

brock sylvia

Team Captain
Dec 28, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yeah recent talks about morabito have me excited also. If he is able to play midfield and then potentially play a KP role i think that would be perfect fit for us, although with question marks over his kicking i am still unsure. Such a very hard choice!

Pesonally I think hes a tad too soft.

On another note what the hell has Butcher done to justify the number 2 pick???? I think he is the over rated one in the draft.

I say we go Scully and Trengrove, there is no point of having a super forward line if the midfield is s**t

whelan=legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Veteran Melbourne Demons - Ricky Petterd 2011 Player Sponsor
Sep 9, 2006
Best Young Side Land
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Miami Heat
I don't really want anyone in particular for pick 2.

Trengove, Morabito, Butcher etc all seem to be very good prospects.

I think i'll go into draft day with an open mind re pick 2 and just be happy with whoever we select.

Jul 14, 2007
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
I don't really want anyone in particular for pick 2.

Trengove, Morabito, Butcher etc all seem to be very good prospects.

I think i'll go into draft day with an open mind re pick 2 and just be happy with whoever we select.

What if BP decides that he wants to beat Kennett in the race to draft a female and uses pick 2?

;)

WattsGoodForYou

Club Legend
Jun 3, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
I enjoy how without even moving their boots, peoples ideas of who will go pick 2 changes rapidly. Once it was Butcher then JT now mummerings for Morrabito, with longoutsiders Rohan and Martin. Its fascinating to say the least.

Back