The Dilemma on pick 2

Remove this Banner Ad

in the herald sun on saturday was a small piece that claimed Cunnington has rocketed up the ladder into contention for our 2nd pick... due to his fantastic last 6 weeks...

Would be a fantastic pick IMO. One of the best chances to make it out of them all because of his professionalism, discipline, work ethic etc. That said, Trengrove is having a great year and would be very worthy of pick 2 as well. Good problem to have :thumbsu:

yea i heard from someone within the club that we are looking at cunnington very closely with pick 2 i dont know much about him can someone fill me in

I hope you guys don't have the same rotten luck as Richmond when they selected two mids Delideo #1 and Tambling #4 opposed to Hawthorn taking two KPP in Roughead #2 and Buddy #5.

So much comes down to young Watts i guess. Not sure about Jurrah as a KPP.

I would go with Trengrove at this stage so long as he won't run home to Adelaide later on. Elite midfields prove to be premiership contenders with West coast and Geelong winning flags without the greastest targets to kick to.

But Watts, Jurrah, Green, Bate, Aussie, Miller and Maric are more then reasonable targets especially if Watts can develop into the player he was drafted for. That carnival where he took some great marks shows what he will be capable when he is a man. Amazing athlete with Riewoldt like features to his game. He is Raw but will come on soon enough.

If you can some how snare a KPF at pick #17 or perhaps even next year in the draft then you will be well on the way. The Ruck is still an issue for the Demons though.

Well, with Jamar, Meesen, Martin, Johnson and Spencer in the squad, I don't see why we haven't got a perfectly decent ruck division.

And if Jamar & Meesen can stay fit, that partnership could be a pretty exciting one I'd say.

Particularly with the surprising improvement in the Russky's foot skills during the latter stages of this season, and his potency up forward.

I hope you guys don't have the same rotten luck as Richmond when they selected two mids Delideo #1 and Tambling #4 opposed to Hawthorn taking two KPP in Roughead #2 and Buddy #5.

The Buddy/Roughead draft was a terrible one. Have a look through it. There were a dearth of quality midfielders. Conversely, this draft is strong for midfielders.

It's easy, especially with little thought, to think of the Hawthorn 'bigs' over the Tiger 'smalls', but in reality they're very different drafts; and naturally will have very different outcomes.

Analysis will show you this.

Not sure about Jurrah as a KPP

Well he's got excellent contested marking ability, is a great kick for goal, and has brilliant ball skills in general, plus he's done pretty well in a KPP role this season, so I don't see why he couldn't do the same next season and improve substantially on this season's performance, especially since he had practically no fitness base to start with this season.

Well he's got excellent contested marking ability, is a great kick for goal, and has brilliant ball skills in general, plus he's done pretty well in a KPP role this season, so I don't see why he couldn't do the same next season and improve substantially on this season's performance, especially since he had practically no fitness base to start with this season.

Agree big time. If Johnson and LeCras can kick bags as FF's I see no reason why Jurrah can't do better. I'm not sure any backman in the league would like to be left 1 out on him and if they want to double team him then there are options like Bate, Watts, Petterd, Wona or Maric that would be happy for the freedom (or Green, Dunn, Jamar and even Newton).

Well, with Jamar, Meesen, Martin, Johnson and Spencer in the squad, I don't see why we haven't got a perfectly decent ruck division.

And if Jamar & Meesen can stay fit, that partnership could be a pretty exciting one I'd say.

Particularly with the surprising improvement in the Russky's foot skills during the latter stages of this season, and his potency up forward.

Hey W33. I think Ive seen you post this a few times and I although I usually agree with you Im not sure about our ruck division. Jamar is definately ok to get the job done - and if he improves again he might even become good. But the others havnt shown much imo - Meeson has potential but hasnt delivered and Spencer is still very very raw. Johnson should be delisted imo and Martin is better elsewhere but we put him in the ruck this year because of injuries. Anyway I must say I dont rate ruck as a high priority position so if Messon comes good and Jamar stays fit its enough for me.

On Jurrah I agree he can definately play key position (FF) but I think he is more damaging being allowed to raom around the half forward line and playing to his oponents weaknesses. He could do it for sure but I would rather we had someone else so he can do his own thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's got to be Trengove. A hard at it, uncompromising footballer, that's how the Demons want to play football.

I like how we've been physical, let’s keep recruiting that way!

Hey W33. I think I've seen you post this a few times and I although I usually agree with you I'm not sure about our ruck division. Jamar is definitely ok to get the job done - and if he improves again he might even become good. But the others haven't shown much imo - Meesen has potential but hasn't delivered and Spencer is still very very raw. Johnson should be delisted imo and Martin is better elsewhere but we put him in the ruck this year because of injuries. Anyway I must say I dont rate ruck as a high priority position so if Meesen comes good and Jamar stays fit it's enough for me.

On Jurrah I agree he can definately play key position (FF) but I think he is more damaging being allowed to roam around the half forward line and playing to his opponent's weaknesses. He could do it for sure but I would rather we had someone else so he can do his own thing.

Agreed about the Jurrahcane, and about at least some of that assessment of our ruck division.

Although I'd definitely want to see PJ have another chance this season, given his performances in 2008, and his efforts in the final stages of this year.

And I'd say the Russky has been pretty good this year - one of our biggest improvers - if he'd not been sidelined through injury for so much of the season, I dare say he'd have been noticed a lot more for his efforts.

As for Meesen, he did do well when he was on the field this year for mine, and hopefully he'll be back to 100% next year so that he can build on that.

Just watched Dustin Martin's highlight vid from VicCountry v WA. He played an amazing game. It's only one game but his footskills on the left foot or right were as good as U18 I've seen. Players who kick well on both legs is the future. He might not have the physicality of a Trengove but he looked very composed and is an excellent user of the footy. I know you take the best available but Martins finishing (if one game is anything to go from) would complement Scully's ball winning ability. I wouldn't be upset if we took him at pick 2.

so ya want us to draft jennifer hawkins? :D

Was talking to a mel based recruiter for an interstate side a couple of months ago and he says Butcher is the best KPP in this draft BUT he would not have been a top 10 pick in past drafts.Also it seems they were a little bit worried about his "tude".

We must go for the Trengrove kid and hope that in 2 years he will realise that we will be on the verge of something special and he won't do a Scott Thompson on us.

This 1-2 is our chance to draft 10 year 250 game guns that we can build around.
Our backline will improve, the forward line needs attention but we can't take a chance on Butcher.
The modern game is about winning and keeping the footy, recent history will tell you that you can't win a flag without a gun midfield

Was talking to a mel based recruiter for an interstate side a couple of months ago and he says Butcher is the best KPP in this draft BUT he would not have been a top 10 pick in past drafts.Also it seems they were a little bit worried about his "tude".

We must go for the Trengrove kid and hope that in 2 years he will realise that we will be on the verge of something special and he won't do a Scott Thompson on us.

This 1-2 is our chance to draft 10 year 250 game guns that we can build around.
Our backline will improve, the forward line needs attention but we can't take a chance on Butcher.
The modern game is about winning and keeping the footy, recent history will tell you that you can't win a flag without a gun midfield

Hawthorn have a above average midfield but i wouldn't class it as a "gun" midfield, the only "gun" is Hodge.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back