Analysis The Disciples of Daniel the Diminutive, elite footballer

Mantis Toboggan

Premiership Player
Mar 24, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Considering the argument is around CD’s positioning on the field, It’s a perfect representation of where CD impacts the game, Mantis. It also explains that from one week to the next over the last 12-18 mths, CD impacts the game in different areas of the ground with the majority being the back half. Some weeks between def 50 and the middle, others more so inside def 50. Zero consistency, and zero evidence that his game has changed.

How does a playmaker like Daniel play and have real influence on a game in areas that he hasn’t touched the ball?
I’m interested to hear your take Mantis.
Well I’m certainly not arguing he has a ‘new role’, so let me make that clear.

I think the only time you could say Daniel could be considered a ‘liability’ is when we dohave the ball. The heat map doesn’t show that, obviously.

He went through a long spell of taking most of the kick ins and seemed to be to go for risky 30m targets. In that same spell he was also getting caught out on much bigger opponents, often really deep inside 50.

That is no longer happening. Something has changed hasn’t it. I’d say his game has changed a little. The team defence has also changed in that it is a much more cohesive unit.

Nothing too controversial in what I’ve said there is there?

Its incredible to witness the lengths that people will go to to avoid accepting that they were wrong.

I use eyes rather than stats but happy to admit I’m fallible and that Caleb’s ‘faults’ were a team not individual problem.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
What’s laughable is expecting a heat map to tell the full story of a game.

We had a 7 man backline last night and all played well

Keath
Williams
Wood
Cordy
Crozier
Caleb
JJ

Caleb is an elite crumber and ball user and when he is allowed to play as the plus one as you see last night we is elite. Not even team allows that and when they don’t he gets exposed and that is as much a team issue as it is on him individually.

When he is part of a permanent back six teams roll onto him with height and he costs us but again that isn’t his fault it’s coaching.

Caleb needs The other back 6 to man up and create contests for hm to clean up and when that doesn’t happen he is a detriment not a positive

if the others can continue to play like that he will have a cracking year, no one has ever said he can’t play footy.

His positioning around the ground is exactly the same as it's always been since he moved back.

It's the midfield that's affecting the opposition forward entries which means our defence is set up correctly, which in turn means he isn't having to gut run back to mismatched 1v1s on his own. It's pretty obvious.

If anything can be put to bed it's the argument (based on a false correlation) that last year opposition teams scored more heavily because he wasn't in the side. Even if you take into account the shorter quarters we have still kept sides to ridiculously low scores this year with him in the side.

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Well I’m certainly not arguing he has a ‘new role’, so let me make that clear.

I think the only time you could say Daniel could be considered a ‘liability’ is when we dohave the ball. The heat map doesn’t show that, obviously.

He went through a long spell of taking most of the kick ins and seemed to be to go for risky 30m targets. In that same spell he was also getting caught out on much bigger opponents, often really deep inside 50.

That is no longer happening. Something has changed hasn’t it. I’d say his game has changed a little. The team defence has also changed in that it is a much more cohesive unit.

Nothing too controversial in what I’ve said there is there?

I posted those heat maps to show where he’s been playing and having the most impact as some are now saying he’s only just starting to play well down there and it’s due to a change of role. The eye test, stats and heat maps show that that’s not the case.
They weren’t posted to defend him being caught out down in defence so have zero relevance there. On that though, we’ve heard regularly over the last 12 mths that he concedes 2-3 goals a game by being isolated deep in defence. That’s just blatantly wrong and anyone who actually pays attention while watching the games knows that’s never been the case. The odd one over a number of games last year. That’s it.

You are right In saying that the very rare occurrence of him being caught out deep is happening less (what’s less than almost never?) and you are also right in saying that it’s probably due to a better structured defence. How is that a reflection on CD’s form and suitability down back though?
It’s like saying that any good/bad form Josh Bruce has is due to the cohesion of the players around him and the delivery of the players further up the field or lack of. It could be said for any player In the team, do you agree?

And no, nothing you’ve said is controversial, but for others who continue to make inaccurate comments, they’ll continue to be called out as what’s happened in regards to Daniel over the last 12mths.

Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies
We had a 7 man backline last night and all played well

Keath
Williams
Wood
Cordy
Crozier
Caleb
JJ

Caleb is an elite crumber and ball user and when he is allowed to play as the plus one as you see last night we is elite. Not even team allows that and when they don’t he gets exposed and that is as much a team issue as it is on him individually.

When he is part of a permanent back six teams roll onto him with height and he costs us but again that isn’t his fault it’s coaching.

Caleb needs The other back 6 to man up and create contests for hm to clean up and when that doesn’t happen he is a detriment not a positive

if the others can continue to play like that he will have a cracking year, no one has ever said he can’t play footy.

I'm not quite sure what you mean. 7 defenders is 6 on field, 1 on bench which is pretty standard so Daniel does play on a man. The only exception this year is round 1 where we played 8 defenders and had 1 on the bench, 6 in the back half and rotated Suckling and Daniel up the ground. I try to rewatch the games pretty thoroughly and haven't noticed any other games where Daniel has started up the ground. Happy to be proven wrong though.

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It’s the speed of the turnovers that was catching him out and leaving him exposed as the deep man. Midfield pressure is what is slowing down the turnover ball and thus he and we play better.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'm not quite sure what you mean. 7 defenders is 6 on field, 1 on bench which is pretty standard so Daniel does play on a man. The only exception this year is round 1 where we played 8 defenders and had 1 on the bench, 6 in the back half and rotated Suckling and Daniel up the ground. I try to rewatch the games pretty thoroughly and haven't noticed any other games where Daniel has started up the ground. Happy to be proven wrong though.

We play 7 backs on field at the same time. 6 have a pick up role and/or marking space and Caleb plays the plus one. You cannot play a plus one when one on one which we don’t do but sometimes are forced into it by good teams and we fall apart.

not you but it doesn’t surprise me many don’t get this when they watch footy through champion data And the stats sheet but that’s why we all see footy differently.

Anyone can argue all they want and suggest whatever but when we get that right we are competitive and win more then lose but when we don’t we lose everytime against even poor opposition.

Results are proof no opinion can argue that

It’s hilarious That no one was saying much about this after the first two weeks but when the entire team improves it suddenly all Caleb. I guess hero’s go quiet when they can’t throw stats around that don’t help their flaccid opinions and wait til the sun is shining to gather up their buddies, pull-up their jeggings, get out the notes they keep and play big boys.

Last edited:

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We play 7 backs on field at the same time. 6 have a pick up role and/or marking space and Caleb plays the plus one. You cannot play a plus one when one on one which we don’t do but sometimes are forced into it by good teams and we fall apart.

not you but it doesn’t surprise me many don’t get this when they watch footy through champion data And the stats sheet but that’s why we all see footy differently.

Anyone can argue all they want and suggest whatever but when we get that right we are competitive and win more then lose but when we don’t we lose everytime against even poor opposition.

Nice back peddle 😂

Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies

Sorry, I can't agree that we play 7 on the field very often. Time on ground: Keath 100%, Cordy 94%, Williams 85%, Daniel 85%, JJ 85%, Crozier 82%, Wood 82%. Altogether 87% of the game one of them was on the bench. I know you don't like the stats sheet over the eye test but without being at the ground and seeing who's where at starting bounces we sort of have to rely on it.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Sorry, I can't agree that we play 7 on the field very often. Time on ground: Keath 100%, Cordy 94%, Williams 85%, Daniel 85%, JJ 85%, Crozier 82%, Wood 82%. Altogether 87% of the game one of them was on the bench. I know you don't like the stats sheet over the eye test but without being at the ground and seeing who's where at starting bounces we sort of have to rely on it.

Fair enough you are more than entitled not to agree

There would have been others who filled those back spots during the game but as you said with it being there that’s hard to work out who and when.

For instance You are not pushing Caleb back when Keath has a break but those 7 were the main ones you could see.

Anyway going round in circles in off

Ciao

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania
Fair enough you are more than entitled not to agree

There would have been others who filled those back spots during the game but as you said with it being there that’s hard to work out who and when.

For instance You are not pushing Caleb back when Keath has a break but those 7 were the main ones you could see.

Anyway going round in circles in off

Ciao

Adiaŭ

What the heat maps don't show is constructive possession. Daniel is getting more constructive possession higher up the ground directly resulting in score involvement. His only turnover in a bad position was from a kickout.

Still don't like him deep back, lack of penetration in this part of the ground is still an issue and others taking kickout's cleared the ball better than Caleb, but he is clearly in our best team and when he gets most of his possessions outside the back 50 there is not a player in the competition better.

Funny how posters make a discussion personal and then show an arrogance if they believe there is a black and white in these issues. I wonder how many of these posters have actually coached!!!!!

Any how look forward to watching Caleb continue to develop his game

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Started every centre bounce inside def 50. 7 disposals inside def 50. 10 disposals between there and the middle of the ground (halfback). 4 disposals fwd half of ground.

I’m embarrassed for you MD.
OK - let's not make this personal.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
What the heat maps don't show is constructive possession. Daniel is getting more constructive possession higher up the ground directly resulting in score involvement. His only turnover in a bad position was from a kickout.

Still don't like him deep back, lack of penetration in this part of the ground is still an issue and others taking kickout's cleared the ball better than Caleb, but he is clearly in our best team and when he gets most of his possessions outside the back 50 there is not a player in the competition better.

Funny how posters make a discussion personal and then show an arrogance if they believe there is a black and white in these issues. I wonder how many of these posters have actually coached!!!!!

Any how look forward to watching Caleb continue to develop his game

Very true mate.

no luck with local this year hopefully you are going again next year?

Very true mate.

no luck with local this year hopefully you are going again next year?
Will go again next year, bit more of a role than ot was going to be in 2020 if it is with the same club. Good people running it now.

Will.see if anything else comes up but not coaching is doing my head in a bit.

You looking at getting involved in 2021?

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Will go again next year, bit more of a role than ot was going to be in 2020 if it is with the same club. Good people running it now.

Will.see if anything else comes up but not coaching is doing my head in a bit.

You looking at getting involved in 2021?

no mate I’m done I think

Miss Saturdays but don’t miss the BS at all

Last edited:
That passage of play against #lolNorf was great where he collected the ball at speed & hit the target on the chest 30-40m away off 1 or 2 Caleb sized steps. What was great, was knowing not only where that player was going to be in space but also that there was an opponent right on him so he had to get rid of it quickly, his football IQ is incredible sometimes

Back