Analysis The Disciples of Daniel the Diminutive, elite footballer

Remove this Banner Ad

Our system definitely helps but it’s no different to how most teams go about it. Most teams create an extra down back anyway. Play 7v6 or team defence etc. Sometimes when a team roll a fwd up to become an extra mid it creates the extra for the other team.

A while back it would be a difficult role to play because it was 6 defenders vs 6 fwds and you had to be accountable for your player for most of the game. Nowadays a team defence allows the creative defenders be exactly that, creative, whether it be a pacey rebounder or a quarter back role as Daniel’s is.
93/190 versus 123/228, 115/205 versus 127/209, 108/192 versus 102/166. What do these numbers mean and how do they effect us
as a team ?

When posters say he is probably helping out others when he gets caught out 1 on 1. What does that matter, the point is he gets beaten easily when in this position and that's the whole issue some of us posters are saying. Its not to say that even taller opponents wouldn't lose the contest either yet some with Daniels stand out.

Hence the team really need to be conscience of that and keep Daniels as the high half back where he can be more creative for the team.
I personally find him more dangerous up the ground delivering to forwards yet each to there own. When Duryea is ready to come back it may be interesting if Bevo keeps him back.

I'm not even concerned about Daniel being beaten defensively, my biggest issue with him is he is too slow to use it coming our of defence and the opposition gets set up.
I think his style is much better suited to playing on a wing or HFF where his deliberate use of the footy can hit up forwards. He's got the tank, i'd play him on a wing opposite Hunter every week

I think it's important to have smart skilled players like Caleb.He is a real General.
I think flexability is a key.Some games he should be moved depending on match ups and the circumstances of the game.
He could probably swap with Wallis sometimes.Who needs to learn defence as well.
Maybe his Father Steve or Terry Wheeler should give them some coaching...

I'm not even concerned about Daniel being beaten defensively, my biggest issue with him is he is too slow to use it coming our of defence and the opposition gets set up.
I think his style is much better suited to playing on a wing or HFF where his deliberate use of the footy can hit up forwards. He's got the tank, i'd play him on a wing opposite Hunter every week

This thinking confuses me.

Too slow to be played down back but you’re happy for us to move the ball slowly though the middle of the ground and across half forward? Once you’re out, you want to be going quick. Don’t slow it down then.

FWIW I completely disagree that he moves the ball detrimentally slow. Composure and football smarts can sometimes mean Daniel goes the slower target. Doesnt necessarily mean it’s the wrong one. And definitely doesn’t mean he slows the game down. You can open a team up by hitting a short 45 or get a switch on aftsr the game has slowed down and still get a jump on the opposition.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He wouldn't be a defensive liability if we had more natural defenders around him, and if our structure holds up.

The problem isn't having CD, it's having him along with JJ and Suckling who are even worse defensively than CD.

Perhaps it isn’t Caleb I should be directing my frustration towards but the whole of the 3 offensive non-defenders.

In that case.... carry on Caleb.

Perhaps it isn’t Caleb I should be directing my frustration towards but the whole of the 3 offensive non-defenders.

In a way it is just like music, some of us love System of a down and prefer their music with a harder edge, some people love
One Direction is that wrong ? No just a little different as in the end it's all music.

I think people underestimate how much work JJ does defensively. He's not the type to lay a bone-crunching tackle but his speed is a defensive weapon. He closes down on opposition faster than they are able to anticipate and causes them to panic. Some of his defensive efforts against GWS really stood out to me.

This thinking confuses me.

Too slow to be played down back but you’re happy for us to move the ball slowly though the middle of the ground and across half forward? Once you’re out, you want to be going quick. Don’t slow it down then.

FWIW I completely disagree that he moves the ball detrimentally slow. Composure and football smarts can sometimes mean Daniel goes the slower target. Doesnt necessarily mean it’s the wrong one. And definitely doesn’t mean he slows the game down. You can open a team up by hitting a short 45 or get a switch on aftsr the game has slowed down and still get a jump on the opposition.
What i mean is this

When you've got a paddock in front of you because of quick ball movement out of the backline (think JJ breaking the lines or Williams / Suckiling roosting one), you aren't going to slow down with the next kick to the forwards, that quick ball movement is contagious.

But Daniel can't kick over 40m and doesnt have breakaway speed, so (to my eye) more often that not he takes his time coming out of the backline to hit up a player. Now don't get me wrong, his kicks usually hit the target but the extra time taken either allows the opposition to set up better or our mids / forwards have mis-timed their leads and are all out of position for the next possession.

On the switch, i can't really ever remember a Daniel switch that has opened things up. He seems more inclined to kick on the 45 degree

What i mean is this

When you've got a paddock in front of you because of quick ball movement out of the backline (think JJ breaking the lines or Williams / Suckiling roosting one), you aren't going to slow down with the next kick to the forwards, that quick ball movement is contagious.

But Daniel can't kick over 40m and doesnt have breakaway speed, so (to my eye) more often that not he takes his time coming out of the backline to hit up a player. Now don't get me wrong, his kicks usually hit the target but the extra time taken either allows the opposition to set up better or our mids / forwards have mis-timed their leads and are all out of position for the next possession.

On the switch, i can really ever remember a Daniel switch that has opened things up. He seems more inclined to kick on the 45 degree

I think 9 times out of 10 coaches are going to prefer a slow kick by Daniel that's near guaranteed to be marked then a fast kick by Suckling that's a coin toss of who ends up with it. Turnovers in defensive half are killer. Less exciting to watch but every team relies on good but slow and shallow ball use out of defence. Especially when it comes to the point where it's being chipped around the back half.

In a way it is just like music, some of us love System of a down and prefer their music with a harder edge, some people love
One Direction is that wrong ? No just a little different as in the end it's all music.
In a way it is just like music sausages some of us love System of a down and prefer their music with a harder edge our sausages fried, some people love One Direction their sausages grilled or curried is that wrong ? No just a little different as in the end it's all music.they are all still sausages

Tweak it a bit, you are Alan Jeans, aren’t you.

What i mean is this

On the switch, i can't really ever remember a Daniel switch that has opened things up. He seems more inclined to kick on the 45 degree

I don't think I’ve ever seen Daniel slow it down when he’s got a paddock in front of him. No player would do that. They’d be dragged and dropped if they repeatedly did that.
He makes the right decision 95% of the time. Whether it be slow or fast play.
That’s why he’s backed in by the coaches to play that role.

I think people underestimate how much work JJ does defensively. He's not the type to lay a bone-crunching tackle but his speed is a defensive weapon. He closes down on opposition faster than they are able to anticipate and causes them to panic. Some of his defensive efforts against GWS really stood out to me.
The rebound we get from his linebreaking speed is a vital element in any defence - the problem is when we group together JJ, Caleb and Suckling into the one group, it leaves a huge hole. Once Suckling is gone, we need someone like Lachie Young, or even Louis Butler if he comes good, who can rebound while also having the ability to compete one on one.

Remove JJ and our defence is painfully slow. We'd struggle to transition out of defence if we didn't have him back there

I don't think I’ve ever seen Daniel slow it down when he’s got a paddock in front of him. No player would do that. They’d be dragged and dropped if they repeatedly did that.
Exactly right. Nine times out of ten the reason a player stops and props is because the literally have no option ahead to kick to because the forwards are just not working hard enough or are to slow to get back down the ground.

Yes I agree - my point is that Daniel's kicks out of defence don't seem to break the game open leading to that paddock. If he's on the receiving end of one of those kicks, his pin-point delivery to forwards is going to be much more damaging

Remove this Banner Ad

Back