Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Bevo thought Wood would make a decent forward

He isn’t infallible
Is Easton Wood forward not the same as Aaron Naughton forward in that you are taking a contested
marking beast and trying to increase your aerial ability in the forward half, so Easton did not work
very well, but his attributes and dynamic were worth a shot. Hawthorn tried a similar move with
James Sicily for the same reason, it does not make it wrong MD. Football is like a game of chess
in that you have different pieces with different attributes, those attributes can be used all over
the board or oval, open your mind MD.

Bevo thought Wood would make a decent forward

He isn’t infallible
True, but he quickly folded on that one when he saw it wasn’t working. He was still talking up Caleb’s efforts as a defender at the end of the season.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Is Easton Wood forward not the same as Aaron Naughton forward in that you are taking a contested
marking beast and trying to increase your aerial ability in the forward half, so Easton did not work
very well, but his attributes and dynamic were worth a shot. Hawthorn tried a similar move with
James Sicily for the same reason, it does not make it wrong MD. Football is like a game of chess
in that you have different pieces with different attributes, those attributes can be used all over
the board or oval, open your mind MD.

Naughton or Sicily didn’t have ten years of playing one position behind them and were an integral part of a premiership team in that position.

Anyone can play chess but only some actually KNOW how to play it properly.

And sorry mate Wood stink it up forward as nearly everyone predicted he would so I’m fairy sire Bev would even admit that was wrong

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Naughton or Sicily didn’t have ten years of playing one position behind them and were an integral part of a premiership team in that position.

Anyone can play chess but only some actually KNOW how to play it properly.

And sorry mate Wood stink it up forward as nearly everyone predicted he would so I’m fairy sire Bev would even admit that was wrong
Not saying the Wood move was correct MD, but it could have played a part in the willingness to try
Naughton as a forward. I forecast Tim English to kick 30 Goals this year and play more forward it
did not happen Bevo used Naughton instead. It is all perspective which I hope gets an airing at
match committee meetings. Long may we have respectful different opinions even if some people
don't like it.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Not saying the Wood move was correct MD, but it could have played a part in the willingness to try
Naughton as a forward. I forecast Tim English to kick 30 Goals this year and play more forward it
did not happen Bevo used Naughton instead. It is all perspective which I hope gets an airing at
match committee meetings. Long may we have respectful different opinions even if some people
don't like it.

Naughts went forward coz Boyd was out mate, had zero to do with Wood.

I’m not trying to be smart I actually respect what you say but the Wood move cannot be defended.

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Naughts went forward coz Boyd was out mate, had zero to do with Wood.

I’m not trying to be smart I actually respect what you say but the Wood move cannot be defended.
Fair enough, but do you think Wood in a forward line with Naughton and Schache would be different
he is not a key forward, but that third banana role with aerial presence. I am a balance man best
sometimes does not mean balanced.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Fair enough, but do you think Wood in a forward line with Naughton and Schache would be different
he is not a key forward, but that third banana role with aerial presence. I am a balance man best
sometimes does not mean balanced.

No mate for two reasons

1- he has no idea how to move like a forward

2- he had no interest on being there to start.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Fair enough maybe we should keep the chess analogy and call the third tall forward the Bishop instead
of saying Easton Wood.

I like the idea and it’s a change up from Bev so that’s great

The possible problem with having a third tall forward would be if we fall into the trap of just bombing the ball in thinking we will mark everything

Spiritof82

Premiership Player
Jan 8, 2004
S**tny, the cesspit of OZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
My main problem is can Daniel and Johannisen both play in the same backline?

Big difference between the two players, Daniel is not the quickest player in the side but is courageous and will put his body on the line if required while JJ is one of the quickest in the side but scared of physical contact.

TommyD13

Premiership Player
Jul 31, 2016
Adelaide
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Adelaide United Southampton
Big difference between the two players, Daniel is not the quickest player in the side but is courageous and will put his body on the line if required while JJ is one of the quickest in the side but scared of physical contact.
Yeah agree, however I was more referring to the distinct lack of height that would give our defense if they were to both play there

Spiritof82

Premiership Player
Jan 8, 2004
S**tny, the cesspit of OZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Yeah agree, however I was more referring to the distinct lack of height that would give our defense if they were to both play there

We do lack some height in the backline with both up there, maybe its time to move JJ up to the wing where there isn't as much need for physical contact and he can use his speed

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
My philosophy is to have only 3 players at 182 or less

Or we should at-least work towards it
Rhylee West 181 cm
Taylor Duryea 179 cm
Toby McLean 180 cm
Sam Lloyd 180 cm
Laitham Vandermeer 180 cm
Ben Cavarra 173 cm
Callum Porter 182 cm
Will Hayes 181 cm
Caleb Daniel 168 cm
Roarke Smith 181 cm
Jason Johannisen 180 cm

Technically three of them don't mind the idea, but the others think it's crap. Plus how do we manage the
quota of small men if you only allow three on the list. Now if you had said it's all about shower status
and the ability to be big in the pants, you could have been on to something.

Jeff 1975

Club Legend
Mar 29, 2018
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Richmond won the flag with 9.

Butler
Castagna
Graham
Houli
Lambert
Rioli
Ellis
Prestia
Edwards

Remember the old saying...it ain't the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog...

Though I get that one

Two out of 40 years is not bad

Maybe a Carton for 1 or 2

All the rest where tall

Jeff 1975

Club Legend
Mar 29, 2018
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I’ll clarify for all jumping on

3 players at 182 or less in any given team

Of course you can have more in the Senior list and work towards a taller team

Backing my philosophy is our atrocious finals record

Reason too short

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I’ll clarify for all jumping on

3 players at 182 or less in any given team

Of course you can have more in the Senior list and work towards a taller team

Backing my philosophy is our atrocious finals record

Reason too short
I get it man I was only joking for the record, I have the principal that if you are small you have to have
an elite component to your make up be it raw speed or elite decision making and disposal. You can
cover one on each line and have a couple on the bench and still have balance in your game in the air
or on the ground. Many of the big endurance beasts are in the Collingwood six footer range.

My main problem is can Daniel and Johannisen both play in the same backline?

Running defenders Jason Johannisen and Caleb Daniel rounded out the top five. [B&F]

Great thread. I lean on the side of Caleb being a bit of a liability...

...however the coaching panel clearly disagree.

Guess that's that!

And Most Courageous Player - that was also a surprise. Not saying he's not courageous, but again, I think Crozier might have been an option (and played all the games, missed one I think?).

At least a backman got one of the awards, heavy leaning to mids/forwards for the rest :neutral:

Started re watching the 2016 finals, yes again. For those who don't believe Caleb was and can still be very damaging from mid to the forward half with the ball watch the first 2 finals games in particular before he hurt his shoulder.

With more targets in front he could make a significant difference to our movement directly into the forward line

Richmond won the flag with 9.

Butler
Castagna
Graham
Houli
Lambert
Rioli
Ellis
Prestia
Edwards

Remember the old saying...it ain't the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog...
All bar Houli are not defenders

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Bev runs the coaching panel and he has decided Daniel is a half back so that’s what they think and vote

Clearly played our best footy in 19 while Caleb was out of the backline due to injury putting him back next year is pure stubbornness but I expect nothing less unfortunately

Back