Scandal The 'disgusting' on-field sledge that made a player consider walking off the ground and quitting the game

Remove this Banner Ad

Sledging in cricket is legendary.
It's s**t if it's personal, but funny sledging is fine.

Maybe not 100% verbatim but Glenn McGrath to Sarwan.

McGrath - What does Brian Lara's dick taste like?

Sarwan - I don't know, why don't you ask your wife.

McGrath them proceeded to absolutely lose it.

Yeah it was a personal response from Sarwan but if you don't want dumb answers then don't ask dumb questions. I'd pay it tell McGrath to suck it up.

Last edited:
Maybe not 100% verbatim but Glenn McGrath to Chanderpaul.

Chanderpaul - I don't know, why don't you ask your wife.

Yeah it was a personal response from Chanderpaul but if you don't want dumb answers then don't ask dumb questions. I'd pay it tell McGrath to suck it up.
🤣

Maybe not 100% verbatim but Glenn McGrath to Chanderpaul.

Chanderpaul - I don't know, why don't you ask your wife.

Yeah it was a personal response from Chanderpaul but if you don't want dumb answers then don't ask dumb questions. I'd pay it tell McGrath to suck it up.
Mark Waugh to Siddons.

Shield game NSW vs SA, Waugh is taking a long time to take guard

Siddons: "Hurry up you %^$#, it's not a test match!"
Waugh: "Of course it isn't. You're playing."

Can narrow it down to Bailey Rice or Brandon White. They seem to be the only two who match the description of 20 years old at the time, AFL listed, playing VFL that week, no longer with the Saints, and the added bonus of being defenders

Everyone is very precious these days, it's just the way it is. I have always been more in the camp of what happens on the field stays on the field. If you're offended then you're offended. Nothing happens when you are offended. Just deal with it.
People can only offend you, if you let them..

Mark Waugh to Siddons.

Eddo Brandes to Glenn McGrath

McGrath: "oi Brandes, why are you so fat?"

Brandes: "Because every time I f**k your wife she gives me a biscuit."

Probably hasn't aged too well but still hilarious nonetheless

family, race, religion, sexuality

Rest is fair game

Sledging a player about his sick kid, Ramanauskas getting sledged because "the chemo's ****ed your head".

The rest 'aint fair game any more, to sledge someone about a serious psychological illness is a disgrace.
Anyone who thinks otherwise is a caveman.

Mark Waugh to Siddons.

Mark Waugh to someone in a county tour game

Mark: You're the worst bowler I've seen
Bowler: At least I'm the best cricketer in my family

Everyone is very precious these days, it's just the way it is. I have always been more in the camp of what happens on the field stays on the field. If you're offended then you're offended. Nothing happens when you are offended. Just deal with it.

I used to think like this.
About 20 years ago

Eddo Brandes to Glenn McGrath

McGrath: "oi Brandes, why are you so fat?"

Brandes: "Because every time I f**k your wife she gives me a biscuit."

Probably hasn't aged too well but still hilarious nonetheless
That's was like Warne to Cullinan

Warne: "I've spend two years waiting to bowl to you again"
Cullinan: "Looks like you spent most of it eating"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has that massive contract you stuffed around and threatened to leave Collingwood to get off Eddie money run out Travis? Either name and shame they player so you can get your apology or announce what was said or just be quiet. I bet it was probably something to do with that glove you wore that time you cheated. No point coming forward with your smoke and shadows

Has that massive contract you stuffed around and threatened to leave Collingwood to get off Eddie money run out Travis? Either name and shame they player so you can get your apology or announce what was said or just be quiet. I bet it was probably something to do with that glove you wore that time you cheated. No point coming forward with your smoke and shadows
He could name the player but as the case with nearly all St.Failda players, no one would've heard of them

Oh no, that’s still a common sledge. I got called it last year. Water off a ducks back.
Last time I heard it was in a game against an out gay bloke
Have never seen people turn on a person so quickly.
Being on a footy field doesn’t give you any excuse to say whatever you want

and despite what you claim, a player being paid doesn’t mean they need to put up with being mocked for mental illness

if you need to stoop to that s**t, you’re probably just not a very good footballer

Last time I heard it was in a game against an out gay bloke
Have never seen people turn on a person so quickly.
Being on a footy field doesn’t give you any excuse to say whatever you want

and despite what you claim, a player being paid doesn’t mean they need to put up with being mocked for mental illness

if you need to stoop to that s**t, you’re probably just not a very good footballer
I just told him that I was, and that I knobbed his dad off last night. Its sledging, you give it back, it’s not suppose to be taken seriously or get all PC and offended against.

I just told him that I was, and that I knobbed his dad off last night. Its sledging, you give it back, it’s not suppose to be taken seriously or get all PC and offended against.
it’s PC to not insult strangers? Specifically over things like their mental health?

You don’t seem to understand how mental health issues can impact a person. A person with depression doesn’t make conscious choice to “get all PC and offended against”

it’s easier tojust not be an a-hole to strangers, than to expect everyone to put up with your s**t.

Sledging in cricket is legendary.
It's s**t if it's personal, but funny sledging is fine.

That's the thing- there is a clear line.
Attacking someone personally for something they have or had no control over isn't 'sledging', that's just verbal abuse.

No different to bogans on public transport yelling at tourists to * off back to where you came from etc.

Why that level of crap gets called 'sledging' purely because it happened on a footy field and not the 304 bus to frankston, i'll never know.

Having a go at someone for something they do or did have a large degree of control over however- that's fair game.

Noone has much say in their race, health etc so that's why racial crap and abuse about mental health is abuse.
If the person didn't directly control or cause it- it's off limits. (Kids being sick, mental health etc)

A guy like fev for instance with well known gambling history in my book should be able to cop sledges about betting... because he brought that on himself.
But it would be a step too far to 'sledge' him about the mental health and family breakdown etc that resulted from his gambling.
There's the line.
Once the 'sledge' is about something the person had too distant control over- its just abuse.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back