Scandal The 'disgusting' on-field sledge that made a player consider walking off the ground and quitting the game

Remove this Banner Ad

I just told him that I was, and that I knobbed his dad off last night. Its sledging, you give it back, it’s not suppose to be taken seriously or get all PC and offended against.
But today's culture is to get offended and outraged by anything

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

In what world is it okay to mock someone’s mental illness, but religion is off the cards?

yeah. You can sledge that bloke for having a disease
But fu** me. Don’t you dare Sledge him for which god believes in
Maybe just ban any sledging then.

* me outrage culture

So you don’t do distinctions?

imagine thinking it’s okay to mock someone for suicide but not for being Catholic.
To be far i couldn't give a * about religion either

He could name the player but as the case with nearly all St.Failda players, no one would've heard of them

I find your intimation of my club as “failures” as highly offensive and causing me mental stress.

If you had just stuck with the commonly agreed term “rapist” as per your ex-coaches commentary that would have been acceptable.

To be far i couldn't give a fu** about religion either

You said that’s “over the line”.

mental Illness is a disease. I’d hope you wouldn’t sledge someone for having cancer. This is no different.

thankfully society is starting to remove this stigma

This is what I hate about this sport. Dickheads can get away with saying the most vile things because "it's just a sledge!". This doesn't happen in other sports. Maybe hockey is the only other one.
Seriously, you are not saying that Dave Warner didn’t deserve all he got because of how he behaved and what he said?

I find your intimation of my club as “failures” as highly offensive and causing me mental stress.

If you had just stuck with the commonly agreed term “rapist” as per your ex-coaches commentary that would have been acceptable.

Actually I agree with you on Malthouse.
The guy was a *en idiot for saying that to Milne and should've been suspended. I was at a few Pies v Saints games when Pies supporters spouted that crap at Milne. Back then I'd go with my boys who were a lot younger. I remember telling a bloke to cut it out because there were kids and families around. Him and his mates threatened to get up out of there seats and come at me. Luckily a few other people in the crowd told him to pull his head in as well, a bit hard to go around belting everyone

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Travis Cloke has opened up on a horrific sledge he copped from a rival player that made him consider quitting football. The former Collingwood and Western Bulldogs centre half-forward retired in 2017 after suffering from severe anxiety and mental health issues.

• Travis Cloke said he nearly quit football after copping a brutal sledge in the VFL
  • He didn't reveal who the player was who said the sledge about his mental health
  • The 33-year-old retired from the game in 2017 after struggling with anxiety
  • Cloke is still waiting for an apology from the player for the 'disgusting' call

Not surprised to see this going on, how many other players out there have had similar incidents considering quitting the game as a resort that we havent heard of? The surfacing of these issues highlight there's more of a problem than what the public is seeing.

A few takeaways from this article:

1. Sadly click-bait style headlines are now the norm. Promised to 'reveal an horrific sledge', yet nothing revealed, pathetic content filler waste of time...

2. I would be shocked if either the author or the approving sub-editor of the article have ever played competitive sport at a decent level. I have and most of the 'disgusting' sledging directed my way was mostly laughable or if I thought it did require a response it was sorted out on the ground or if I really wanted to take it further, then shortly after the match.

3. All players today, specifically at top level, have enormous support resources and many options of recourse if they feel they have been abused beyond what's considered 'acceptable sledging'. None of these options should ever involve talking to the media, ever!

4. Irrespective of who said what to whom, no media article about an occasional over-the-top sledging incident is not going to stop this from occurring in any sport. If any AFL player has a related issue this should always be managed and usually is within the confines of the respective clubs...

Last edited:
It’s a disorder not a disease.
Yes you are correct.
Really doesn’t change the point much. Not being able to pinpoint the exact cause in the body does not mean it is any less serious

it’s still considered and treated like a medical condition.

suicide is the most common cause of death in this country for people aged 15-44 (you know the age most footballers at all levels fall in). Maybe that needs to be considered when people try to claim that it’s okay to insult someone for depression

sexism isn’t okay
Homophobia isn’t okay
Racism isn’t okay
Insulting someone for a mental health condition outside their control is in the same vein

He deserved everything except what was said about his wife.
Family are off limits, De Kock deserved a smack in the mouth for that.
He was over the top for years and called Trott weak re his mental health. For years nobody said anything but finally someone had a go at him and like McGrath he couldn’t take what he gave.

That's was like Warne to Cullinan

Warne: "I've spend two years waiting to bowl to you again"
Cullinan: "Looks like you spent most of it eating"

I suppose poor old Daryl needed at least one win against Warnie in his career. Cullinan walking out to face Warne was like opponents getting in the ring to face a prime Tyson. They were out / defeated before it even started, there was just an inevitability.

Actually I agree with you on Malthouse.
The guy was a fu**en idiot for saying that to Milne and should've been suspended. I was at a few Pies v Saints games when Pies supporters spouted that crap at Milne. Back then I'd go with my boys who were a lot younger. I remember telling a bloke to cut it out because there were kids and families around. Him and his mates threatened to get up out of there seats and come at me. Luckily a few other people in the crowd told him to pull his head in as well, a bit hard to go around belting everyone

Can rememebr lining up on a young fella once, at least ten years my jnr and he was niggle niggle niggle, the whole 'youre old and s**t' etc etc, just lip after lip with one liners
Im laughing thinking mate if u get 3 steps ahead of me i aint catching you so really youre wasting your time with the lip as youve got me via pace
Lip lip lip, "youre ******* s**t you old campaigner"

Finally i bite
'Not what your mum said after doing her and taking it all night'

Little prick replies with ' you sick * my mums a big fat ugly lazy cow'

I ******* loled

Trash talking is a just a part of competitive sports. These sports are so competitive that players look for any advantage they can get. Some players can see that it can have an effect on the outcome if they can put another player off his game. This is just the nature of competitive team sports. If it works players will do it. I can see why people don't like it, I personally don't mind it, its a mental battle. Words are just words IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back