The dislike and lol buttons need review

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
The like button was an excellent initiative but the dislike and lol buttons are prooving a bit of disaster and should be reviewed.

I get the reason the dislike button was introduced. It could be argued the like button encouraged bubble thinking if you only saw how many people liked your post and not how many disagreed with it. However there is a key difference between the like and dislike button that I think is being missed. Its the impact on argument and this actually is reinforcing bubble think rather than providing a counterpoint to agreeing with a post.

When you like a post you are liking the argument made in the post. There is no reason for you to post the same argument as its already been posted. When you dislike a post and simply use the dislike button you are saying you dont like what is posted but are not providing the counterpoint argument. Before the dislike button existed you were encouraged to post a counter argument. The dislike button implies you dont need to provide a counter argument. You can now voice that you dislike a post without providing any reasoning. Its basically the whinging toddler button: "I dont like it". Its stifling discussion. Its actually reinforcing bubble think because it discourages you to think up a rational argument and allows you to voice your emotional responses without judgement or thought.

The lol button has similar problems. I get it was introduced to encourage comedy and a more light hearted forum. But I would say at least 80 percent of the time, if not more, its being used to laugh at a poster rather than the post. Its become an insult button. Under big footy rules we are given infractions for posting one word insults, however, bigfooty is now providing its own insult button even if this wasnt what was intended. The use of the insult button just angers people and gets people offended.

I would encourage both emojis be reviewed and either changed in how they are implemented or removed.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
I think we can let them run a bit longer.
You get the points though? The lol button is primarily being used as an insult button that is inconsistent with big footys rules of engagement. The dislike button is ending discussions abruptly when someone doesnt have an answer. There is nothing more infuriorating then writing 4 paragraphs outlining a point of view with reasons for the other person to simply respond with a lol or dislike button.

People are posting facts that refute an argument and being met with dislikes. Are they disliking that you won the argument with facts, questioning whether your fact is true, think that a dislike button gets them out of the need to refute a point or just trolling? We have no idea as that dislike is the end of the conversation.

These buttons have made big footy far less enjoyable as a place to discuss ideas and the footy because they give an out to discussion and are used to ridicule. Do your own research if you dont believe me.

Last edited:
You get the points though? The lol button is primarily being used as an insult button that is inconsistent with big footys rules of engagement.
I use it when people post really really dumb stuff.

Part of the contract when interacting with people from all walks of life is the risk that some of them will dislike or laugh at what you said.

Their reaction actually doesn't validate or invalidate anything, but it's part of the process.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Part of the contract when interacting with people from all walks of life is the risk that some of them will dislike or laugh at what you said.

Their reaction actually doesn't validate or invalidate anything, but it's part of the process.
What contract? What are talking about? There is no dislike button in a court of debate. A witness who takes a stand can not respond to a question with a dislike. As much as Donald Trump tries with twitter. There is no logic rule that can be countered by a lol.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
I use it when people post really really dumb stuff.
Which is the same reason people use insults. Because they think people post really dumb stuff.

You need to read some John Stuart Mill. Understand why debate is important even in response to something you think is really dumb. It reinforces why you think it is dumb, it enables you to actually provide reasons to help convince the other person (dislikes and lols do dont change anyones minds) or it might actually make you think and realise its not as dumb as you thought it was and you will learn something through trying to reason an answer.

Hell Im guessing you get more advertisement money if people are spending time thinking up and posting articulated logical responses rather then 2 seconds disliking. Its in your interest.

Make big footy a better place.

What contract? What are talking about? There is no dislike button in a court of debate. A witness who takes a stand can not respond to a question with a dislike. As much as Donald Trump tries with twitter. There is no logic rule that can be countered by a lol.
You're going to have people who respond in ways you aren't comfortable with in a forum of public discourse.

Bomberboyokay at the moment is the poster boy of this problem. Used to be a great poster but rarely reasons or engages in discussion anymore like he used to now that he has a dislike button at his fingertips.
Every interaction tells a story though Seeds man.

*takes a long drag, coughs because I don't smoke except for this skit*
Walk with me.

You see, when someone surrenders their opportunity to reply with something like that, you just won the discussion.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Every interaction tells a story though Seeds man.

*takes a long drag, coughs because I don't smoke except for this skit*
Walk with me.

You see, when someone surrenders their opportunity to reply with something like that, you just won the discussion.
I dont discuss topics just to win an argument. I discuss them to improve my argument and in some cases learn something that changes my mind. These are actually the best parts of discussion. Learning something new or thinking about things in a perspective you havent thought about before. Dislike and lol buttons without reply kill this process.

If the forum turns into nothing more them monkeys throwing poo at each other then it dies.

Ways to rectify it.

My preference is to just get rid of dislikes and lols. But an alternative is:

Only allow the option to dislike after you have Replied to the post.

More vigilant mod monitoring of lols. If they are clearly being used by a poster to insult then infraction just like with any other insults. You can have a high threshold to declare a use of lols as an insult. Atleast if the obvious ones goes then the forum will be better.

Jul 16, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Fighting Furies
I dont discuss topics just to win an argument. I discuss them to improve my argument and in some cases learn something that changes my mind. These are actually the best parts of discussion. Learning something new or thinking about things in a perspective you havent thought about before. Dislike and lol buttons without reply kill this process.

If the forum turns into nothing more them monkeys throwing poo at each other then it dies.

Ways to rectify it.

More vigilant mod monitoring of lols. If they are clearly being used by a poster to insult then infraction just like with any other insults. You can have a high threshold to declare a use of lols as an insult. Atleast if the obvious ones goes then the forum will be better.

You can always turn off the alerts you get for reactions, then unless you look back at the post,you’ll be none the wiser.

Ways to rectify it.

Interesting suggestions. There might even be a better alternative for levels of "ignore" - so you can ignore reactions from some users but not posts.

Interesting suggestions. There might even be a better alternative for levels of "ignore" - so you can ignore reactions from some users but not posts.
or the posts of some users and not threads..?

Dislike and lol buttons without reply kill this process.

No, just no.

You’re pretending these buttons have killed debate. Maybe people can’t be bothered replying to 4 paragraph posts, or, got the response they wanted.

Furthermore, there’s no rule you’re obliged to respond to anyone no matter how much effort they put in.

Finally, if 2% of people changed their mind on a topic because of well reasoned posts I’d be shocked. Evidence: SRP

Internet debates - serious business.

When i hold down on the like button now it wont give me the emoticon options anymore
Does the do u want to download or share thing thinking the actual like button is a link or pic

Anything changed?
On android via chrome not app
No nothing has changed - Android update?

Back